Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489319 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7035 on: November 07, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »

Why do all these planet names sound out of a creepypasta to me?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7036 on: November 07, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

What's it's period? I'd imagine an encounter would be fairly challenging.

Ninja'd
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: November 07, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »

I completely forgot about rotation and satellites. Set on a polar orbit, 90 degree inclination, and let the body orbiting below you do all the work.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: November 07, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »

Managed to get an unmanned lander around Skelton, another one of Sentar's moons. That giant white blotch is supposedly an inactive volcano. I crashed a probe into it earlier, and it's around 28000-29000 metres high. The centre of it is pretty cool looking though, and that's where I'm going to try to land.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: November 07, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »

I playtested a bit of the modular fuel mod and it is quite bugged, action group interface stop being responsive when using it and then you need to restart the whole app.

it's a shame, I liked the concept.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »

How much of an atmosphere does Skelton have?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: November 07, 2013, 08:07:00 pm »

Enough to make chutes viable.

I made it to the surface, kinda botched the landing a bit, but managed to land on the inner rim of the volcano about 10000m down from the top.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: November 07, 2013, 08:25:51 pm »

To the bad ships!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: November 07, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »

That... Could have gone better.

I still have one other lander in orbit though. I'm going to check out the rest of the planet with that one.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: November 07, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

I think someone should really make a science mission to the new planets to see things like air pressure.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: November 07, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »

--double post--
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:34:36 pm by Glloyd »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: November 07, 2013, 09:30:27 pm »

I think someone should really make a science mission to the new planets to see things like air pressure.

I'm going to try to do that for Skelton with my second lander. The rover has all the science gear on it. In addition, the planets themselves don't give you science points yet, but it's an easy fix in the config...

Okay, this is what I gathered:

The planet information gives the regular information, it says atmosphere starts at 90000m, but physics warp becomes available around 97000m. Skelton actually has a pretty respectable atmosphere it would seem.

Going off the atmosphere meter on the top, it appears that the next level of atmosphere kicks in around 86000m

Next one is roughly 56000, one after that is about 30000 (that's the lowest level). By 6000 metres I was only going just under 40 m/s before I released the chutes. The atmosphere slowed me down a ton. Didn't even need to use my thrusters after the chutes activated.

As for the surface, where I landed it's really really bumpy, with a fair amount of craters. Judging by the map view, other parts are flatter though. Where I landed was 3785m. It never gets that bright on the surface, because the sun's so far away, and Sentar is visible for a fair portion of the daytime, which lends itself to awesome pictures like this one.

And as for science readings...  (from the equator)

Gravity Detector:02.87m/s^2

Barometer:2.9116

Thermometer:-003.22

/science

Really, if all the planets are as beautiful as this one, and as well designed...

Prepare to lose another hundred hours to KSP.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:57:42 pm by Glloyd »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: November 07, 2013, 09:35:41 pm »

modded community game now up! waiting for applicants.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:34 pm »

proper link

Also, Inaccessible bothers me a bit. At the equator, it spins faster than its escape velocity. That ain't possible :I

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: November 07, 2013, 09:39:01 pm »

That feeling when you design a craft, stick a launcher on the bottom of it, everything goes flawlessly on the first try, you're up above 70km and circularizing and decide. "I'm not sure if this stage is working quite fast enough, I'll go ahead and pop the shrouds off the next stage's radials and let them help out too." And suddenly the shrouds decouple and take the engines with them and you're left with essentially a handsome looking refueling station with backwards plumbing in orbit and your Kerbal won't stop screaming his head off because he's low on both Courage and Stupidity and SOMETHING EXPLODED A FEW DAYS AGO AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS AND I WANT TO GO HOME BUT I'M STUCK UP HERE NOW....

Yeah... that feeling... You know it?

tl;dr: Never mess with the staging mid flight unless you KNOW something bad will happen otherwise. Mild nagging gut feelings are more trouble than they're worth to listen to.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 848