Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485536 times)

Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #690 on: July 17, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »

(My rocket is floating in orbit with a full tank of fuel left)

"Hmm.. I should probably turn on the stage lock so I don't accidentally jettison my engine."
*Presses Spacebar when reaching for the alt key, engine jettisons.*
*facepalm*

Luckily my orbit turned out to be less circular than I thought it was and Jeb and crew eventually made it back to the ground safely.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 17, 2011, 10:19:33 pm »

Heh, I built a 2 stage srb only rocket which can be successfully set into orbit, but only the 10% of the time it doesn't have a resonating failure or hit itself or simply explode randomly on the way up. Though it isn't a very good orbit, nor is there any maneuvering fuel left, as it is all srb.

The fun rockets are the ones which start with an epic failure of a design and are tweaked until just under the 100% failure rate. :D

Sounds Russian.
No, it is the American way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_TV3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_rocket
At its launch attempt on December 6, 1957 at Cape Canaveral, the booster ignited and began to rise; but about two seconds after liftoff, after rising about four feet (1.2 m), the rocket lost thrust and began to fall back to the launch pad. As it settled the fuel tanks ruptured and exploded, destroying the rocket and severely damaging the launch pad.

Only 3 of 11 launches were successful. :)

Lol you guys are such trolls. Need to grow up. It was a joke about the safety of the rocket. Is your intellectual self esteem that low you have to keep up these attempts at petty point scoring? amusing  :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:21:28 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 17, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »

The petty point scoring is directly tied to our amusement, thanks. :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 17, 2011, 11:20:05 pm »

Yay! 8.5 fixes the liquid fuel tank slowness issues! :D

Mine was also a joke about the safety of rockets throughout history. The Vanguards are pretty much the design one thinks of when thinking of failrockets. It's wiki page even has a picture of the first launch with the caption
Vanguard rocket undergoing rapid unplanned disassembly shortly after launch at Cape Canaveral (December 6, 1957).

On a humorous side note, according to my uncle, 'rapid unplanned disassembly' is actually the official term for it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:41 pm »

Good to know theres always a way to not say "its exploding" outright. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:21 am »

Parachute experiment log, attempt #18.

Results conclusive. It is impossible to preserve liquid fuel engines with any sane amount of parachutes.

Phase 2 of research is postponed pending shipment of 5000 parachutes.

(and yes, those are side-mounted parachutes. Something vanilla should have, IMO, it's a trivial mod.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:32 am »

I've tried parachuting parts too (even before .85) and yeah, it seems pretty hopeless.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 18, 2011, 03:28:18 am »

It's not all parts, just liquid fuel thrusters. Empty fuel tanks and solid boosters can survive just fine. In that test the fuel tank stack crashed because the tanks were mostly full - I just flew up 600 meters to test the chutes.

Also, looking at the files, it seems the reason for this is that the ExplosionPotential values haven't been set for them. I suppose it's an easy fix - after all, the engine itself isn't supposed to be explosive unless it's damaged during operation. I mean, it's mostly just piping, right?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:31:08 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 18, 2011, 03:29:57 am »

Oh yeah, liquid fuel thrusters break off too easily. I've had some big ships where liquid fuel thrusters contacting the launch pad break off as soon as the ship spawns, just under its own load.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 18, 2011, 03:39:57 am »

I've read several good tutorials about how to get into orbit, and the new orbit calculator makes staying in orbit pretty easy (although it requires quite a bit of station-keeping).  Now I just need some instruction on how to descend from orbit anywhere near at intended splashdown.  Last roundabout, I fell a bit shy of the launchpad, in the sea to the east with the campus just over the horizon.  Admittedly, falling into the ocean within rowboat distance of home is better than NASA ever managed, but I want to land smack on target.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Results conclusive. It is impossible to preserve liquid fuel engines with any sane amount of parachutes.

On the upside, you built a totem pole.  That's pretty awesome.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 18, 2011, 04:55:04 am »

I've read several good tutorials about how to get into orbit, and the new orbit calculator makes staying in orbit pretty easy (although it requires quite a bit of station-keeping).  Now I just need some instruction on how to descend from orbit anywhere near at intended splashdown.  Last roundabout, I fell a bit shy of the launchpad, in the sea to the east with the campus just over the horizon.  Admittedly, falling into the ocean within rowboat distance of home is better than NASA ever managed, but I want to land smack on target.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the upside, you built a totem pole.  That's pretty awesome.
I've managed to land in the launch zone by deaccelerating while approaching my perigee above the launch zone. It was a significant part luck, though, as it's not easy to eyeball massive distances while going at massive speeds.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 18, 2011, 05:21:40 am »

I think it's pretty easy to land anywhere if you've got fuel to spare and are good on the controls.

Btw, does anyone need these side-mounted parachutes? I didn't download any mod packs, so I've no idea if anyone else made 'em.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 18, 2011, 05:42:41 am »

Lol you guys are such trolls. Need to grow up. It was a joke about the safety of the rocket. Is your intellectual self esteem that low you have to keep up these attempts at petty point scoring? amusing  :P

The difference between trolling and what you're seeing is MASSIVE. If anything, you're trolling with that little jab you had there. * twitches*
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 18, 2011, 06:01:03 am »

Judging by some of his posts over the last few pages, I don't think Deadmeat has any real idea what the word "troll" means, since he basically called himself such a little while ago.  He saying things he heard cool people say, it doesn't matter.

The ETA for version 0.9 is "three weeks", which will supposedly include symmetrical reconnectors (i.e. 1-to-3 and 3-to-1), a totally redesigned staging system (so you can define as many stages as you want, any way you want), and some other changes.  Three weeks sure sounds like a long time, when you've only been playing for a week.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 18, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »

While I had the wrong location (the pad was on the other side of the ocean) I did manage to put down almost exactly where I THOUGHT the pad was.

De-Orbit: I slowed down in 300m/s intervals. To do this, I put my rocket in the exact opposite  heading as my velocity and throttled up very lightly for slow burns. This let me see how my speed was changing my altitude. I was down to about 1100m/s before I felt it was time to do my full de-orbit. I kept my rocket on the same heading (again, opposite from my directly of travel) but this time I pitched the nose down and fired my rockets until my lateral speed hit zero and I started falling like crazy.

Then I put my rocket straight up. It actually didn't take that much throttle to keep my speed reasonable and aim my "lander". I ran out of fuel about 800 meters above the ground though and had to pull the chute.

Do you use the same amount getting to space either way? Is there a "most efficient" way?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 848