Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489652 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

It's hard to provide general advice as I've no idea what exactly you are doing wrong. Post a pic of something that fails and I can tell you how to improve it.
Will do. I started with basically just a Mk1 cockpit, an air intake, two jet fuel canisters, basic jet engine, a few wings+control surfaces, and landing gears.

Ninja-edit: Ahhh, maybe it was just too light? I'll try making it BIGGER.
If you can make a really well balanced craft that is light then that is what's best to do, but if not then a less efficient but heavier plane can be easier to compensate for.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

(The wing is drifing off into the distance gravity-less).

The north-pole's cost is very strange and blocky...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rover wheels pop at far slower speeds than that, unfortunately. I know. I tried with another large rover. It was built to hold some fuel for transfer so I said to myself, "throw some rocket engines on back and let us try for a land speed record."
Who puts rover wheels on a plane?

Rocket powered rovers are not planes.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rover wheels pop at far slower speeds than that, unfortunately. I know. I tried with another large rover. It was built to hold some fuel for transfer so I said to myself, "throw some rocket engines on back and let us try for a land speed record."

Rocket powered rovers are not planes.

not with that attitude they aren't.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I figured out how the set target interface worked, and managed to get to the Mun using the lander / command module method, Docking and all. I am proud.

Unfortunately, the 300 sciences that I had gotten are all still on the lander part, which is still orbiting around the Mun, with not a drop of fuel since it was all transferred to the CM for the return trip.

Oh well. I never liked that seismic data anyway.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Jeb is stuck on Duna :( Everything else but the command pod was destroyed - and there was so much science!

I had not realised how much gravity there was... I figured 0.3 wasn't that much, but it is! I should be able to get nuclear engines by going out into Kerbol orbit and back to Kerbin. Going from 390 ISP to 800 is going to be a mighty change indeed!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Duna has atmosphere.  No amount of gravity should be an issue when you can parachute down.  And I'm SURE that parachutes weigh less than the fuel you'd be burning.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Duna has atmosphere.  No amount of gravity should be an issue when you can parachute down.  And I'm SURE that parachutes weigh less than the fuel you'd be burning.

Not so sure it is very thin and you need a lot of chutes. Probably lighter to use a combination of chites and rockets.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Depends on what you're trying to land on it. A drogue chute plus 4-6 radials should be fine for a re-ascent stage..
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If placed correctly you can have it so the landing gear touches the ground when extended but the rover wheels touch the ground when the landing gear is retracted. This makes it much easier to taxi the plane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I'd suggest using 2 'chutes per ton rather than the one you'd need on Kerbin reentry, because the atmosphere doesn't slow you down as much. That said, four radial parachutes is plenty for a 2.5 ton immobile, non-recoverable probe, but having some fuel to burn on the descent also helps, as even with those parachutes my probe would have hit the ground at a fatal velocity.

Same landing probe design (I carried four of the things) landed on Ike just fine. A bit like a mun landing. That was after I unlocked the remainder of the science equipment, so I had gravity detectors and atmosphere probes to boot. So much science!

Only problem is I actually disengaged all four of my landing probes at Duna and Ike, so even though I've got plenty of fuel my orbiter craft won't be able to do any real science at any other planets. And neither the orbiter nor landing probes have docking ports. This was a terrible mistake and I regret everything...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

one thing not to discount is that duna atmosphere is so thin that the reentry angle actually matters, come in to fast or too step and the chute will be unable to stop you

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I figured out how the set target interface worked, and managed to get to the Mun using the lander / command module method, Docking and all. I am proud.

Unfortunately, the 300 sciences that I had gotten are all still on the lander part, which is still orbiting around the Mun, with not a drop of fuel since it was all transferred to the CM for the return trip.

Get a Kerbal to the lander, push it with EVA. It may take a while but it will work.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Get a Kerbal to the lander, push it with EVA. It may take a while but it will work.
If you're going to go through the effort to get a Kerbal to it, why not just dock with it and give it fuel?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another rover because why not. Weight is balanced towards the back four wheels. Docking port in back and fuel on board in the form of 3 FL-T800 tanks. All stock.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 848