Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489167 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Moho to Eeloo? Holy shit the delta-v for that must be enormous. Not just getting there but staying there. And there's no atmosphere to help you. I'm assuming you plan to use slingshots?
Most likely, yes, though I won't go out of my way to Grand Tour or anything. I have my Conic Patch limit set pretty high, so I'm just going to feel around with the nodes and see what kind of trajectory seems most effective.

Those Near-Future Propulsion "PIT" drives have incredibly high fuel efficiency, effectively very large ion drives (in fact they use Argon instead of Xenon).  So, he'll probably get anywhere he wants to.  Slowly.
The Pulsed Inductive Thrusters have rather less Isp than Ion drives, but more thrust, at the cost of increased power usage (those things that look like four metallic solar panels, are radiators; the thing they're attached to is a nuclear reactor). Just being able to lift off from Moho shows that the craft is quite capable. It can pull about a half-gee at maximum thrust, so interplanetary transfer burns are still long, but they're minutes long, not hours. The transfer burn from Kerbin to Moho was 11 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:09:56 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I've got a mock-up of a better construction UI here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone know a mod like that?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Oh holy Jesusballs I want that D:

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I've got a mock-up of a better construction UI here:

Anyone know a mod like that?
Nothing like that (in a list), but you might want to look into PartCatalog, a mod to apply some filtering to your parts lists.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Tonight's goal, get a lander on the Mun.
Normally I would shrug this off as a simple task, but I don't have Struts or Fuel pipes unlocked yet, D:
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I just unlocked fuel lines.
I love you liquid fuel boosters please never leave me again.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oops. Forgot parachutes. This thing may need a stage just for slowing down before Mun landing and for getting home. Otherwise it's not too bad. Can do 4 research sets. Maybe a fuel tug can help it in orbit to get it back to Kerbin.
The pilot has to get out of the pod and ride in the rover down to the Mun and back up into orbit. Wild ride. Mun gravity is low enough the rover can drive under and dock without the lift stage kneeling.

I have only used hyperedit to get it in orbit around the Mun so far. No full mission yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

That is a horrifying abomination. Well done.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I...I made it into space (in the demo). I never made it into space before. Bollocks-ed the orbit attempt so that I instead went in a highly elliptical path that carried me 1/3 of the way to the Mun, before falling back to Kerbal in a glorious flaming heap. Still -- progress.

I may have to buy the full game when it goes on sale again.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I made it to Minmus, landed, did loads of !!SCIENCE!!, and returned.
Result? 600 !!SCIENCE!! points. Hell yeah! :D
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I...I made it into space (in the demo). I never made it into space before. Bollocks-ed the orbit attempt so that I instead went in a highly elliptical path that carried me 1/3 of the way to the Mun, before falling back to Kerbal in a glorious flaming heap. Still -- progress.

I may have to buy the full game when it goes on sale again.

Hehe, you went up too much.

What you need to do is:

1. Go up to, oh, ~10000 meters.

2. Turn in the direction you want to orbit (probably 90 degrees, or right from the default camera angle) at that point.

3. Burn until your apoapsis is at least 70,000 meters. I would recommend anywhere between 75,000 and 100,000.

4. Keep it above that level.

5. Once near apoapsis, start burning prograde. You'll end up in orbit eventually.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is a horrifying abomination. Well done.

Flip it upside down, mount on orange tanks and mainsail, and off you go. That's how space travel works, right?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Eh, if that doesn't work, use more rocket.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Afterall, we dont have no budget here boy.

We do have tech limiting things...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

God forbid the day we do have a budget. Someone will probably have to figure out how to get to Eeloo with a few dozen spray cans, a match stick, and a stripped-down lawn chair.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 848