Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489747 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

As the air gets thinner and thinner there's less drag keeping you from accelerating, and you should eventually reach a speed of about 1000km a second or so.  When you hit that it's almost time to turn on the rockets, try to eek any more speed you possibly can with the air breathing engines.  Then right when you think they are about to cut out, kill the jets, toggle all the air intakes off, kick on the rockets, and pull up for space.  Ones yer AP is out of atmosphere, add another 1000km a second to your orbital speed and you should be in orbit.
An even better way to do this is to have 1 central turbojet.  You can have others on the wings as well, but a single jet gives you one big advantage.  When you get up to VERY thin atmosphere, cut off any side jets - if they burnout, you'll start spinning - and leave your center jet on as you turn on the main rockets and aim up.  The single jet will eventually flameout, but it won't cause you to spin because it's in the center.  You can turn it off at your leisure later, as you ascend via traditional rocket.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Alrighty, thanks again guys. I'll try all this tomorrow when I have.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

As the air gets thinner and thinner there's less drag keeping you from accelerating, and you should eventually reach a speed of about 1000km a second or so.  When you hit that it's almost time to turn on the rockets, try to eek any more speed you possibly can with the air breathing engines.  Then right when you think they are about to cut out, kill the jets, toggle all the air intakes off, kick on the rockets, and pull up for space.  Ones yer AP is out of atmosphere, add another 1000km a second to your orbital speed and you should be in orbit.
An even better way to do this is to have 1 central turbojet.  You can have others on the wings as well, but a single jet gives you one big advantage.  When you get up to VERY thin atmosphere, cut off any side jets - if they burnout, you'll start spinning - and leave your center jet on as you turn on the main rockets and aim up.  The single jet will eventually flameout, but it won't cause you to spin because it's in the center.  You can turn it off at your leisure later, as you ascend via traditional rocket.
There's that too.  Does the jet still use fuel when it's air starved?  I thought they did but I never bothered to actually double check.  Saves the trouble of timing yer engine switch, and I bet a single engine feeding off all the intakes can run at an even higher altitude, especially with rockets increasing the speed.  I'll have to try that next time.

And I missed the intake question, I hear ramjets are the best intakes, but I haven't seen any numbers actually backing that up, so take it with a grain of salt.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jets with no air will not burn fuel.

The 'sticky outy' air intakes seem to be the best, especially as they can be mounted radially and don't take up the prime real estate of 'rocket tip'.  The in-line intake is also an interesting one, in cast you just want a smoothly-shaped ship...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I kind of wish there were other space/airports. It would be kind of nice to have a legitimate reason to build a non-space plane.

They could even tie it into the career as a way to make money when they add that part of the game.
Nothing important here, move along.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Try heading 120 degrees from the airstrip :V

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Yah, theres an airstrip and a launchpad besides yours. Ones fr away, ones a SRB throw away.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Oh.

That's actually really cool. I wonder what they're planning with it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Oh.

That's actually really cool. I wonder what they're planning with it.
I think it was only ever intended as a target to land on. I wish there were more, if you're trying to explore the world there's not many places to land a plane.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eve. Why you have so much gravity?  >:(
My one man rover is stuck on its back and I broke its home base. RCS is not enough. I had it all prepped for 4 separate data collection sets. I even "rescued" a lost kerbonaut.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Gravity isn't the problem, the atmosphere is.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right. Forgot about that. Probably why I neglected to put atmos equipment on the rover. It's a good thing my rescue rocket was unmanned. I guess I can always send another.

I have power still so partial transmissions will have to do.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:14:51 pm by BigD145 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let the Rescue Pile commence!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

So, went to Minmus. Had some unexpected funtimes.
Spoiler: God damnit. (click to show/hide)
See, this is why I have that funny looking reinforced structure up on top. Those structural pieces will pretty much survive any rolling around after landing in non-ideal locations. By using structs like that, you can keep the forces off the science lab, and protect everything by keeping it off the ground. In that last image, the ship landed, tipped over, then rolled down the mountain on its side about 100 meters before coming to a stop. And not a drop of science was lost.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might help if you deployed that landing gear...
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 848