Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490408 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

If you want a real look at the game, youtube "Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life in space" or similar title.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Or just, y'know, get it on Steam.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, how much of a ship/rover could you build entirely through this 'small construction' then?  Are there any engines available?
You can't carry around tanks, but with docking ports and decouplers it's not needed. If you want to kick an old fuel tank into motion, you can attach anything that's small and radially mountable - i.e. the radial Ants and 24-77's. You can attach a radial RCS tank, RCS blocks, a command seat, and some rover wheels. The spaceplane undercarriage seems to be too long to be carriable. Ditto for any landing legs.

Best part is, this applies to all of those parts. No need to actually pack them up or anything. So if your rocket crashed, and you have some radial engines, a fuel tank, and a command seat in the wreckage, you could totally MacGuyver yourself a little rocket and blast off.

There is no part editing going on, you can manually add anything you want to the list in the mod's config file if you want to experiment with something.

Oh, and you can radial-mount the radial-mounted parachutes. If you could have a command to deploy them on EVA, you could essentially have an EVA parachute pack.

Oh god oh god oh god, that sounds far too good.

Damn you people and your awesome mods for awesome games! Gonna have to try it, but I'm waiting for 0.22.....

I actually have a rover that's stuck because he has no electricity to open the solar panels. All I'd need is to send one of those small solar panels that's already open.... aw man.

Let's just wait for 0.22..... Does anyone know how long stuff is usually in testing?
A few weeks to a month, I'd say. Depends on how many bugs the experimentals team finds.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:41:21 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Oh god oh god oh god, that sounds far too good.

Damn you people and your awesome mods for awesome games! Gonna have to try it, but I'm waiting for 0.22.....

I actually have a rover that's stuck because he has no electricity to open the solar panels. All I'd need is to send one of those small solar panels that's already open.... aw man.

Let's just wait for 0.22..... Does anyone know how long stuff is usually in testing?

Kerbals can already manually deploy solar panels in EVA- you could send somebody to fix it now.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Kerbals can already manually deploy solar panels in EVA- you could send somebody to fix it now.

Welp... somebody's not waiting for 0.22 after all......

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

KAS, Kerbal Attachment System.

Used to be just winches and hooks and anchors, but now upgraded, with the developer of Kethane taking over the mod. You can now grab and attach any small part.

"Small part", includes batteries, RTGs, solar panels, pipes, struts, command seats, cubic strut trusses, RCS tanks, and rover wheels, among other things. This is... like, absolutely perfect for EVA activities. Resupply, repair... construction.

There is a game you're probably not aware of, called Moonbase Alpha. It's a free game by NASA.

With the new KAS, KSP is eerily similar to that. Sans timed precision welding puzzles.
What, it gives KSP text-to-voice? :P

aeiu aeiu john madden

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. Addendum. It seems that there is some kind of prerequisite for the rocket assembly to work. Specifically, fuel does not seem to be correctly routed to newly attached engines. Will investigate further.

Still, the assembly itself is perfectly possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
e: um. Dropbox is being slow with this connection. May have to wait until all pics upload.

And this looks like it'd be a serious upgrade to the EVA jetpack.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What, it gives KSP text-to-voice? :P

aeiu aeiu john madden
Heh. I actually only ever played it single-player, so I've been spared the TTV abuse. :P

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know you could make your own jetpacks or contraptoins a long time but it was more fieddeling with the files etc. kas always been my fav plugin. Its thanks to the modders that ksp has grown so big, not the devs... :) If you look closelsy they have" abssorbed" so many things that modders were first to do. Nice pics dude/girl

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Don't piss on the devs.
Just don't. They have done so much shit and they don't deserve some guy to say "lel the modders did all the work"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you hung out at the forums you know what i mean and i didnt take the piss on anyone of them, just saying what me and many others have thought. I still give them big props for comeing so long way but yeah, =)

cheers

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They didn't "absorb" a single thing. They recruited some modders, that much is true, but they didn't straight up reuse any mods.

The community doing things "first" simply means that the community can afford to do it. I've been on those forums long enough to know that most of the features I'm using right now, with mods, are already planned to be in the game. The devs just have priorities besides adding those features - they've a game to develop, and they have to keep the overall picture in mind.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I'm honestly curious. What were some of those features? Had anyone done docking ports before they came out officially? 'cause that was the big game-changer for me. Also, the stock parts haven't changed that much, and the only mod I've used is Kethane to give me some goals to achieve, but I could easily have done it without Kethane.

They also did the airplanes, and and now they're coming out with science, which is going to give us the goals that weren't there before, and which is what I was looking for in Kethane.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, there were docking mods before docking was added. Subassemblies are being added as stock in .22. RCS was a modded "RCS array" module at first. Plus all the modders they recruited that added their content.

Kethane is great for goals and having some kind of self-sufficient long-term bases with rocket shuttles. KAS and Infernal Robotics add a whole lot of stuff you can do on missions. Extra rover and probe functionality, and EVA activities.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

.22 is released after the stream today.
Are you ready for this?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

.22 is released after the stream today.
Are you ready for this?

Wow, I wasn't expecting it for a week at least!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 848