Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490533 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5505 on: September 25, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »

Oh god... I had a ship with a part count of just over 1000. The game nearly crashed at least 5 times. Didn't even make it into orbit with it before it exploded :(

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #5506 on: September 25, 2013, 02:34:59 pm »

Did it have adapters then gong back to one? Because those things are the pits to keep everything working.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: September 25, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »

So, I finally took the plunge again after two years, and started playing again.  My immediate impression is that a lot of changes have been made since I vaulted Kerbonauts into the inky void; just the symmetry button alone is completely worth the weight of a million rockets, not to mention an entire solar system to play with.  Pursuing the Soviet list of accomplishments, I managed to launch three satellites (Venture 1 reached space, but not a proper orbit; Venture 2 reached orbit...around the Sun; and Venture 3 finally managed a proper equatorial circular orbit), put a Kerbal in orbit (and dropped him safely, even better), and managed my first EVA.  I've been having quite a bit of fun, but I had a couple questions. 

1. Are there any tips on EVA?  My first attempt was a nerve-wracking experience; I burned 20% of the pack's fuel on playing around and getting used to the controls, but went through another 50% of the total capacity just trying to get Bill back inside.  I'd manoeuvre in carefully and slowly, press F to grab on to the ladder of the Command Pod Mk1 I was using, and Bill would promptly catapult right off the rocket again, leading to me firing off the jets and wasting even more pack fuel just to keep him from soaring away.  I was trying to keep my relative v down with the rocket; was I doing something obvious wrong? 

2. Any good mods or custom packs to consider, or should I stick with vanilla for a bit longer?  I mean, mounting a Stayputnik smack dab on the top of the rocket works, but I'd like to actually have it contained within a deployable/explodable nose cone bay for aesthetics.  Also, I've heard good things about mods like Protractor, Kethane, and MechJeb (though I'm a little leery of notion of autopilot), and something called Deadly Reentry looks very Fun. 

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: September 25, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »

EVA... Well, keep close to the ship. And ladders EVERYWHERE.
Mods... Well, I dont use many most of the time. If you want autopilot with a challenge I must suggest kOS. Deadly reentry requires more mods most of the time, B9 is a good place for parts and mechjeb is odd. Better off going for Lazer instead of mechjeb.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: September 25, 2013, 03:58:49 pm »

I kinda like mechjeb, sure it's kinda cheaty when it does so many autopilots but seeing how the mechjeb autopilot does something is a great learning tool for learning how to do something yourself.  I never knew how to change my inclination until I saw mechjeb do it once, the whole time I was playing with prerelease I thought that if I didn't get the inclination I wanted by the time I reached orbit I couldn't anymore.

It's also helpful for doing things you've done a million times, like getting a rocket into orbit that you piloted into orbit yourself half a dozen times while you go make a sandwich.

That and I would be very surprised if NASA does much of any piloting manually anymore.  You could almost call it added realism.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: September 25, 2013, 04:00:28 pm »

Ah, but NASA writes its codes for that guff. Hense why I like kOS. It lets you do the autopilot, but you still gotta know how it is done.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: September 25, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »

Yeah, a computer can figure that stuff out, but only if it has an equation to do it with.

Someone needs to figure out the equation and put it in the computer.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: September 25, 2013, 04:50:53 pm »

I just don't like mechjeb for some reason. I get itchy watching it do its thing, and I always have the urge to take control back myself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5513 on: September 25, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

Kethane, definitely. Totally changed the game for me. Gives it a proper purpose. I'm trying to hold off playing too much until the next patch!

I've been trying to make a plane that launches a rokkit with stock parts. It is not going well at all... can't stabilise the damned thing at all :( Also, the plane goes faster than the rokkit, so... huh... doesn't really work :(

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:50 am »

I am too waiting the next update.
Sub assemblies are game changing but extremely convenient as I standardized all launcher and payloads to focus on kethane and planetary construction.

While waiting I am messing around with ferram aerospace research.

One little thing I cannot live without is docking struts.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5515 on: September 26, 2013, 08:14:47 am »

What do those do? Automatically attach to the other ship once you dock?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: September 26, 2013, 09:28:15 am »

You eva go near one activate it then go near another and link them up.

Then they work as structs.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: September 26, 2013, 11:46:47 am »

Dragon capsules are ridiculously OP.

By which I mean they feel like something a real space agency would develop.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #5518 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:46 am »

I really wish they hadn't put up the .22 info when they were so far away from releasing it. I've been checking their website every day like a clingy SO.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: September 26, 2013, 11:54:20 am »

I guess I should atleast try to get my rover/kethane drill on the Mun.
Despite multiple attempts, I can't seem to get it there, due to the fact that it's quite weighty, no doubt.
I know the first thing I should do is try to lighten it, but...
Oh hey, I could probably get two half-sized drills up there instead of the one large rig I've got.
Thanks, thread, for giving me a place to write stuff down and look at it more closely, :P
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 848