Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484886 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

Why do you have air intakes there?

Don't aerospike engines benefit from air intakes? Either way, this launcher managed to get my lander to mars, so I hope it'll work for the rovers.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile

Not sure if this has already been linked, but this looks pretty good: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24926-0-19-Kerbal-LiveFeed-Passive-Multiplayer-Plugin-Client-Server-v0-6-1
Wow that's great, i just spent several hours on the kerbalSP.com server, even some of the devs were there. From what they told there are no plans for any official multiplayer until the game is very close to completion but that's not stopping such initiatives :D

I's very cool mod but more of a interactive chatroom with screenshot sharing capability, not really a multilpayer yet but still very fun. Thanks for sharing greatorder!

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, forgot that Rover Cleveland didn't have a nuclear engine on his second-to-last stage, so instead I landed him on Minmus. Still! First rovers I've built that actually got to rove on another planet/moon.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do you have air intakes there?

Don't aerospike engines benefit from air intakes? Either way, this launcher managed to get my lander to mars, so I hope it'll work for the rovers.

I don't think so; they consume oxidizer like other rocket engines.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Nope, aerospike don't use intake air.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

The idea with an aerospike is that they have a better ISP in atmosphere because of their nozzle design.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yup, IRL, the normal rocket engines are optimized to function between a certain pressure (and corresponding altitude), and are therefore less efficient at other altitudes. The aerospike works equally well across the board. It's efficiency is lower than a normal nozzle at that nozzle's optimal altitude, but it makes up for it during the rest of the ascent.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Also, I tried to use mechjeb to get it into a 100Km orbit around minmus. Mechjeb tried to get into a 100Km orbit around kerbol >.<
Which version of mechjeb are you using? I've never had it detect the SOI incorrectly. If you're using the 2.x prerelease then ensure you remove all maneuver nodes before telling it to plot new ones.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I had a satellite with some of those tiny rockomax side thrusters polar-orbiting Duna. After I completed my duna survey, I wanted to transfer to Ike into the same orbit, but I discovered that my 1000 m/s delta-v wouldn't even change from pole to equitorial, let alone give me enough fuel for a transfer.

Then I realized, I just needed to wait for Ike to be in the right place, and I could launch myself over Duna's north pole and come down onto Ike right into my desired orbit.

It was glorious- it was only 500 m/s for the entire maneuver. Now that I have the maps, I have to pick a good landing place for my permanent Duna mission.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, thank god that RCS is enough to flip these rovers over. Both of them would have been dead by now if not for that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I've constructed a 6 satellite comms network in orbit of kerbin as I'm using the remotetech mod which requires an unbroken signal line to mission control for unmanned craft to function and even works in the lightspeed signal delay if you are manually piloting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll probably add a few more to round out the orbits but with this setup I can get a clear line back to mission control from anywhere in orbit. They are on a 55 degree 1435km orbit with launches spaced 1 hour apart, 6 sats because kerbin has a 6 hour day. Now if I put at least 2 sats up in an equatorial orbit with dishes aimed at the mun, I should be able to send remote controlled vessels out there. First step will be to land a Munar tracking and relay station with a dish pointed back at Kerbin.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

That mod sounds like hell o.O

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

That mod sounds like hell o.O
I enjoy it because it adds some realistic requirements and infrastructure you must set up before you can blast remote probes all over. I'm trying to play realistically so no suicide missions and we always bring kerbonauts home. Remote probes are handy but they shouldn't realistically be able to react instantly to your commands when you are several light minutes or more away.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I wonder how mechjeb handles that mod.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

That mod sounds awesome.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 848