Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487351 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3045 on: December 13, 2012, 04:42:20 am »

you are using just one nuclear rocket.
to achieve similar thrust to a standard lander rocket, I suggest having 2 engines, on the sides.
also, for long burns, physical warp is your friend (ALT + whatever your keyboard key for time warp is. goes up to 4x)

WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY EARLIER!!!!!?

Wait, is this anything different from regular warp? Like, the "," and "." keys?

You know what's fun? Salvaging missions that go wrong.

Gonna have to start trying that :) Every rocket should have a docking port... then you can always fail at bringing it back to earth, eventually constructing a massive pile of debris or stationary planetary station, heh :D

The same craft I posted before is now (barely) interplanetary. Needs more parachutes and/or a better final engine.
Spoiler: Eve crash landing (click to show/hide)
That is also my first kerbal on another planet.

Do your guys ever get back? :)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3046 on: December 13, 2012, 04:50:33 am »

This is weird. I don't know what I did, but when I set a target and I can actually see it, it doesn't have a green marker and the distance. I can actually see the station, but no distance number make approaching impossible Dx
In other news, I have seen an informative video and hopefully will succeed in docking soon! How to get in a near perfectly matching orbit is a question...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: December 13, 2012, 04:52:52 am »

Wait, is this anything different from regular warp? Like, the "," and "." keys?
Yes! it apparently allows physical timewarp in space. That means you can thrust and timewarp at the same time, making NERVA engines a lot less boring.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: December 13, 2012, 07:43:55 am »

This is weird. I don't know what I did, but when I set a target and I can actually see it, it doesn't have a green marker and the distance. I can actually see the station, but no distance number make approaching impossible Dx
Did you hit one of the F keys?

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:55 am »

In other news, I have seen an informative video and hopefully will succeed in docking soon! How to get in a near perfectly matching orbit is a question...

Try hitting F4,that should toggle ship markers.

I've been playing with spaceplanes, trying to go as high and as fast as possible.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: December 13, 2012, 10:45:42 am »

This look more like a vacuum cleaner than a plane. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: December 13, 2012, 10:57:21 am »

That's a rather apt description actually. You end up needing a lot of intakes to get enough air above 20km. Also, always have an odd number of engines, and put the middle one on last. That way, it will flame-out first, and give you some warning to throttle back. A flat spin is pretty much unrecoverable if you can't stop it by 12km.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3052 on: December 13, 2012, 11:06:32 am »

I've got an idea for a mod here which just makes a pure-electric turbine. It could use the jet engine models, but it would only require intake air and electricity to run. It would use only a little power, compared to such electricity-guzzling users like Ion drives, and would be much lower thrust than the real jets.

So a solar-powered flyer would be an effective vehichle.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:02 am »

Curse you sheb, look what you made me do!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you have to say for yourself?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: December 13, 2012, 11:27:18 am »

Does it fly?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: December 13, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

It can leave the ground, but i wouldn't call it flying yet. :P

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: December 13, 2012, 11:32:51 am »

The same craft I posted before is now (barely) interplanetary. Needs more parachutes and/or a better final engine.
Spoiler: Eve crash landing (click to show/hide)
That is also my first kerbal on another planet.

Do your guys ever get back? :)
My missions tend to be to be one way. Also, may I mention that craft crashed because it didn't have enough fuel to slow down. Luckily, Eve has a thick atmoshere and I was only falling at about 50 m/s, and landing gear took the brunt of the impact.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:35 am »

Spoiler: WOOT! (click to show/hide)

Just don't take it off ASAS. EVER.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Case in point. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:36:51 am by Pyre »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: December 13, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

Ah yes, the air-scoop design. Pretty much all my jets and spaceplanes use it.

Gotta scoop it all up!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

See if you can spot the problem!
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 848