Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487401 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3000 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:05 pm »

I have finally figured out how to use atmos engines in a rocket in a stable manner. It wasn't too much of a strutball, either.

900 kilos of fuel to get a 300 ton rocket to ten kilometers, it's downhill from there. Woo!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3001 on: December 11, 2012, 05:40:21 pm »

RCS is OP. In case you can't tell (wouldn't be surprised), that's Moho. First stage was just launch clamps, and what you see in the shot is what traveled all the way. Still got enough to land, too. ^_^

You could do the same thing with a square probe, a battery, two tiny solar panels, a spherical RCS tank, and two quad RCS jets. But a manned mission is more interesting. :P
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:48:27 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3002 on: December 11, 2012, 05:50:09 pm »

So what's all the hype about nuclear engines? I'm fearful of trying something other than the regular fuel engines since I got a probe with electric engines but without xenon gas to the moon :\

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: December 11, 2012, 06:12:59 pm »

So what's all the hype about nuclear engines? I'm fearful of trying something other than the regular fuel engines since I got a probe with electric engines but without xenon gas to the moon :\

They're very efficient in space.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: December 11, 2012, 10:06:58 pm »

Just completed my first trip outside the Kerbin's SOI. The planner really helps with interplanetary rendezvous. I only had to minimally adapt my Mun-and-return ship for a one way mission, too.

Spoiler: Greetings from Duna! (click to show/hide)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3005 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:13 pm »

I decided to stop waiting and just play 0.18.1. I don't care if I'll lose everything in the next day or two. Better than waiting for a month.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: December 11, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »

I swear every launch I send to my Orbital station gets harder and harder to line up.  Not in terms of docking, that's almost easy at this point.  The problem is getting anywhere within sight of the thing.  I just blew threw about two days of in game time, adjusting orbit and watching these dots fly around, before I finally aborted in frustration.

Every single revolution from every approach the craft only near the same orbital angle when they're at their farthest apart point.  How do people plan these rendezvous anyway?

And of course, after learning all the good tips for the docking itself, I had to go and make a robot segment that controls backwards.  Can't let it too easy on me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: December 12, 2012, 12:00:17 am »

What I've been doing, which isn't much, I admit, since I just started, is wait till the markers say I'll be gettng reasonably close, then use the maneuver nodes to adjust it till it's reasonably close.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:31 am »

What I've been doing, which isn't much, I admit, since I just started, is wait till the markers say I'll be gettng reasonably close, then use the maneuver nodes to adjust it till it's reasonably close.

That's about as obvious as saying, "Well clearly you just have to do it right."  I think 90% of the approach is knowing when to launch and what kind of holding orbit to achieve, which I seem to be terrible at judging or consistently aligning.  Then there's the "orbit slightly apart from the target until you're close enough to eyeball it" phase, which seems to conspire against me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: December 12, 2012, 01:29:27 am »

A good guide for orbital rendezvous. Only the graphs are really necessary for KSP

In short: Get to a slightly, say, 50km lower orbit from the target on the same orbital plane, and some 30 degree behind. Then use the maneuver planner. Neutralize relative motion by retrograde thrust FIRST when you get close OR YOU WILL OVERSHOOT, then point toward your target and accelerate, use RCS LIN to keep your motion marker pointed at the target, decelerate again on approach, align, and dock.

That is it, unless we're doing the challenge of docking without maneuver planner or targeting.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: December 12, 2012, 01:34:09 am »

That does it, I'm making a video!

Till then:
Wait till the station is about 5 min from passing overhead.
Then launch, get your apoasis to the same height as the space station.

Now when you get to apoasis, are you ahead of the station?
If yes, than get a higher orbit on the other side of Kerth.
If no, make it a lower orbit.
you should see close aproach markers, you can use manoeuvre nodes to see later interceps.
Make a node opposit of the close approach, fiddle with all the settings on the node and watch the separation. at some point you get separation below 50km.

Then you just need to align your speed to the target, and burn towards it, then stop when you start moving away. REPEAT.REPEAT.REPEAT.REPEAT.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3011 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:27 am »

I think I can see how a pre-launch planner would be useful.
Another bad thing is that if you put a rocket on the pad and fastforward, it shakes itself to pieces with no chance to wait for time to pass.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: December 12, 2012, 01:50:40 am »

A direct ascent is not only difficult, but also actually more costly at least according to that Orbiterwiki article.

Just get to a lower orbit, and time accelerate as needed.

Or if you have to, wait in your target craft and switch back at the launch window.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:50 am »

First of all, be sure orbital planes match up (are or really close). If they don't, the delta-v required makes it worth just launching again. When you've got an orbital plane matching the target, remember the simple rule first derived by Newton: "Equal areas in equal time." Or in layman's terms, the farther away you are, the slower you revolve around the body. The closer you are, the faster you revolve around the body. This also goes for elliptical orbits. If the target is behind you in the orbit, make yours slightly bigger (a short burn in the direction of your velocity), if ahead, make it smaller (a short burn opposite your velocity). If accelerating in the direction opposite the target feels funny to you, welcome to orbital mechanics!

You only need to do these burns once; this will leave you with an elliptical orbit, with one side more or less touching the target's orbit, and the other side below or above the target's orbital altitude. Now, wait a few orbits to catch up or for the target to catch up to you.

When the intersection is close enough, it's time to use the nav-ball at the bottom of the screen. When targeting a craft at close range, it tells you both the position of the craft (pink dot with circle for the craft, pink dot with lines for opposite direction from the craft), your relative velocity to it, and the direction of the relative velocity (the green circle on the navball). First order of business: reduce your relative velocity with the craft. For your first run, if you have enough fuel, reduce the relative velocity to 0, followed by approaching the direction of the craft slowly. If you are experienced or have low fuel, reduce velocity while redirecting it towards the craft. Slow down as your approach the craft; you should be using RCS at this point; so make sure to read the controls for the docking panel (at this point you should also switch from staging to docking mode). Now it's a matter of lining up the ports. Be sure they are very well matched up, then go in to dock at an extremely low velocity. The low velocity is extremely important, as it keeps you from bouncing off, and more importantly, keeps you from imparting much of a spin on the station if you accidentally bump it. A spinning station is damn near impossible to dock with.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: December 12, 2012, 02:46:48 am »

First of all, be sure orbital planes match up (are or really close). If they don't, the delta-v required makes it worth just launching again. When you've got an orbital plane matching the target, remember the simple rule first derived by Newton: "Equal areas in equal time."

Ahem, this is Keplers second law, not Newton(though it can be derived from Newtons laws)

everything else in the post is spot on though.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 848