Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487602 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2520 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »

I really hope they add re-docking the same ship, so we can do Apollo type missions.

This will make return flights much easier since you can leave the return stage in orbit, while you land.

From what i've been reading, yep, that'll be possible. As mentioned in one of the dev posts, it should even be possible to control from different command sections eg like Apollo 13.

Personally, i'm more looking forward to docking half a dozen space planes at once to a space station.
Magma is overrated.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2521 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:02 pm »

that all should be possible, from what I understand. (as in, launching up different bits to make an interplanetary ship, not an actual assembly building in space. yet)
Magma is overrated.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2522 on: November 02, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »

Huzzah! Finally made it to Minmus as well as Mun without needing to completely redo my rocket ^_^. For my Mun journey things were easy going, and got there and landed under power and roamed around with my lil Kerbalnaut for a bit before heading home. Did not make it >.> Ended up EVA-ing my Kerbalnaut back to the Mun to keep him from dying. Minmus was more interesting, since I had never been there before. Somehow got there with more fuel than I got to the Mun with. Did this by timing my launch right and just flying straight up until I reached escape velocity, then brought myself into a 50M km elliptical orbit and then waited for about 250 Kerbal days to get into a Minmus intercept. Did not realize that Minmus's gravity was so much lower than the Mun's so ended up bouncing for a while since I couldn't slow down enough for the landing gear to not bounce me as soon as I landed. +1 Kerbalnaut stranded due to bouncing too much and a few of my engines falling off.

Something I noticed while trying this: The radial thrusters are much easier for me to use as Lander thrusters, and do decently for going from point to point as well :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: November 13, 2012, 06:18:01 am »

(Still slowly reading through this thread, and on page 57 with a top-page date of 2011-07-26, but thought I better post this right now anyway.)

There are some situations where a link to XKCD can seem completely and utterly appropriate, and this is such a situation!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: November 13, 2012, 10:09:35 am »

I have never been physically attracted to a spacecraft before... That all may have just changed.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:02 pm »

I... Uh...
wow, just wow.

kaian-a-coel cancel everything: going to space.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2527 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »

0.18 is only infinity years away, so get cracking!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: November 13, 2012, 12:52:23 pm »

0.18 is only infinity years away, so get cracking!
The website where I've found the screenshots claims that 0.18 will probably be released in December.
Then again, the new release will probably break earlier mods and introduce a lot of bugs... It would take a while to polish it with patches.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:54:45 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Uneron

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lets fix that, shall we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: November 13, 2012, 01:29:55 pm »

Long time reader, first time yadda dadda...

Lets get down to buisness. First off, me bragging:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Took freaking long too...

More importantly I've looked and googled around and haven't found any mentioning of the use of the turbines. I GUESS they pump oxygen to the engines, thereby allowing to fly in greater hights, but not much else. Now, as an aerospike is actually less effective when under high athmosphere, does that mean a turbine would hinder an aerospike? Has anyone done SCIENCE on this matter?

Edit: Typo 1
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:34:25 pm by Uneron »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »

So far as I can figure, the turbines are purely decorative, but I have not done any extensive testing on them.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: November 13, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »

I *think* they help with cooling the engine they are "linked" to. I've noticed that some engines with an associated intake are usually overheating to a lesser degree than ones that lack it.

It's not terribly useful though, I've never heard of a turbojet engine overheating to the degree of exploding. It's possible that if this is true, they might be having some other effect.

I haven't don't extensive testing though, so don't really quote me on this.

Uneron

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lets fix that, shall we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: November 13, 2012, 03:07:17 pm »

Hmmm, if they are cooling they would be pretty awesome for these atomic engines, though that wouldn't work in space. Also I guess turbines only work for jet engines. Then again, apperently wings do work in space, so perhaps turbines work there too?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:25 am »

Right now all intakes and extra chambers are purely decorative. In 0.18, there will be functioning intakes that will be required for the functioning of air-breathing engines.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2534 on: November 14, 2012, 10:44:01 am »

They do do one useful thing- they absorb heat passively.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 848