Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487830 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I... actually used to do just that... loved playing Orbiter on my old laptop in bed using one of those usb keypads... until it died at least.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Heh, I hooked one of those up to my laptop and made a simple program to unlock something. I would have hooked my door up to it, but I had no servos.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile

For alt codes you have to hold down the ALT key anyway, so it's not too much extra effort to hold down the FN key as well.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just did my first completely manual mun 'landing'. Here's how it went...

After lifting off with my latest mun lander (no screenshot) and getting in orbit I managed to get in the mun's SOI after a few attempts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After that I de orbited as usual and attempted to manually land (with some assistance from Smart A.S.S), it all went well except...
I had too much horizontal velocity and fell over.

And that's why we don't pilot spacecraft with a keyboard! And why I fail rocket science forever.  :(
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile

I always use keyboard to pilot my crafts...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

ts fun. i now have three stranded morons in orbit... first total orbit!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First SSTO* space plane with stock bits!

*The Fuel for the ramjet engines is stored in drop tanks. I used "realistic" rules for this; the engines needed to have a body and intake, I couldn't use rocket fuel for the jets, etc, which is why the engines are stood off with the decouplers that don't allow fuel to flow. I'm thinking i'll duplicate the wing seconds and make them non fuel flow enabled, which will allow me to have the engines directly bolted onto the wings. The weight save may also allow me to rejig the fuel tanks to be inline with the engines, which would mean that it's a true SSTO plane.

The downsides to the current design is that, well, there's no RCS and no payload, and the best you can expect from it is a 80km circular orbit. I'm at a loss on what i could do to make it more efficient, i've built a few based off expanding this design in the past and anything bigger actually got worse.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:00:47 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I'm still trying to come up with an aeronautical-interplanetary-aeronautical design. Fly to space, rocket to eve, and fly in the eveian atmosphere- now there's a challenge.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For extra challange, why not laythe :P

edit: i'm doing this because, for roleplay reasons once docking is added, and for real reasons once a campaign and costs etc is added, My stratergy is going to be to get some kind of efficient fully reusable SSTO, or fully reusable near SSTO (maybe bigger drop tanks that can still be recovered easily) vehicle and assemble stuff in space a small but cheap bit at a time.

Come to think of it though, there'd be nothing from stopping me building an orbital fueling depot, an interplanetary booster and then using an actual space plane for the missions to laythe... Considering if you refuel a SSTO while its in orbit it has the fuel to get to orbit again, presuming you can land with a full load.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:04:28 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I hope they get orbital maneuvrers planning before docking, because rendevouz are just a pita done by hand

Also, soi change orbital display badly needs fixing.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I did it. A proper, fully reusable SSTO spaceplane, with stock parts*.
No RCS and the payload is only the smallest cockpit to a 120km circular orbit. The question is, can this be improved.

*modified the square wing to not flow fuel.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:59:50 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still trying to come up with an aeronautical-interplanetary-aeronautical design. Fly to space, rocket to eve, and fly in the eveian atmosphere- now there's a challenge.

I used my Tiny Flier MK 2.2 and decided to go for Duna, since I had a craft in orbit in 90 degree orbit:

Flying for Duna:

Slingshot breaking like a BOSS!

Sunrise over Duna:

Realizing Duna has no oxygen for my airbreathers, and promptly crashing:

Prepare the next plane for Eve, and hope they got some oxygen!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope, maybe take rockets instead. Flying itself should actually be pretty easy, the dense atmosphere will produce a lot of lift.
Magma is overrated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Setting course towards Laythe instead...
Maybe they got some oxygen....

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

Yep, Laythe has whatever the airbreathers need to work.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 848