Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1487992 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2190 on: September 25, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »

EDIT: you know those recommended videos that come up after watching a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkkLAfFIbY&feature=player_embedded
this is brilliant.
That was fantastic.

This video is nowhere near as good, just me putting my first satellite into orbit. Still, I'm learning. I thought the cowling was interesting, and I'm still tweaking designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfBjkcmhE0
Low polar orbit is probably best for mapping, TBH, as over time, the whole planet will be mapped, not just one area.
Someone should make a "killsat network" mod. You score not by merely coverage, but by maximum response time for any given area. And then you'd have a target painter thingy that'd actually call a killsat strike onto the designated position, and you'd get to experience the fruits of your labor first-hand.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2191 on: September 25, 2012, 03:48:43 pm »

Already been said that the devs don't want to put weapons in the game... but if you want to use/make a mod for it, I suppose that's your decision.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 25, 2012, 05:38:39 pm »

So I was told that my kethane transporter looks 'sketchy'.
First I tried something like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but it didn't have enough dV to land then take off again, so I improvised.
It lands on Mun and is quite capable of driving around as long as you're extremely careful. I haven't actually gotten the chance to send it back into orbit, but it should have more than enough thrust and dV to take off and meet up with the orbiting fuel depot. (ignore the name, I used the same pod and launch platform for the fuel depot / converter station)
Both the depot and the transporter have erkle docking clamps, hence the smoke coming off the top.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:44:13 pm by Peewee »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: September 26, 2012, 02:45:08 am »

Is laythe habitable?
The surface is almost covered in ocean, question is: is it water?
It's very far from the sun, so it has to have some other way to make the water liquid.
Could it be lot's a greenhouse gas + tidal strain from Jool? (like Europa)

EDIT: are you landing on Laythe in both pictures? what does the launch stage look like?

EDIT2: Remember that the atmosphere is blue, and the colour represents it's chemical composition. Can you get this kind of greenhouse effect with a blue atmosphere?

Yes, according to nova the oceans are water, presumably its got an oxygen atmosphere then. Tidal strain is the main reason, also magics, according to nova. 

edit: rocket used. Lots of overkill on it. final stage is 1.5 tanks and NERVA, strap on liquids were for duna ascent. It can't quite make orbit however unless i drop the middle tank of the NERVA's when its full, (and while the outer gimball engines are still thrusting), so it can't get to duna with the ascent engines still attached. Hence I went to Jool instead, just to check it out. I'm planning to redesign this rocket with a much smaller top (1 large tank, NERVA and maybe add some RCS), slightly smaller duna ascent engines and then beef up the middle stages by making them 6 rather than 4. that should make a rocket that can get to duna easily.
yes, both the same landing on Laythe. Since its tidally locked, the gas giant sits in the same spot. Much more noticeable than it is with Kerbin while on the mun.

for the atmosphere colour, as nova said, magics :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:55:39 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 26, 2012, 03:05:22 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkkLAfFIbY&feature=player_embedded

I'll just pretend this things are advanced remote controlled machines that wage war on a planet completely unrelated to Kerbin. And this war will never reach it.

I can't help it, I like goofiness of KSP to much to see little green guys intentionally blasting each other with those serious-looking, cold machines of war.  :(

But that aside - nice video and some damn nice models.
Funny thing, first thing I thought when I saw this was "SUPREME COMMANDEEEEER!"
seriously:
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2195 on: September 26, 2012, 03:20:51 am »

I did that too, after hearing that battleship fire it's turret - isn't it just as some cannons from SC?? :o
(probably generic sci-fi heavy ballistic cannon sound, but yeah)

But funny how I did not notice resemblance with Rhino, Cybrian's being my favourite SC faction and all that.  ::)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:49 am »

I've probably played a good 20+ hours of SC by now and i dont' think i've ever been zoomed in enough to see what the units look like
Magma is overrated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: September 26, 2012, 04:17:20 am »

@sneakey pete
I think you would get some success out of combining the landing and nerva stage, to reduce weight.
That weight could be spent on another set of fuel tanks for the bottom engines, bringing them up to 4.

I think you got an overkill on normal rockets on the landing stage. instead of 4 normal and 1 nerva, i'd suggest the opposit.

landing on duna can be done with parachutes+nerva.

i've just stopped using rcs altogether... the M3 module has so much SAS anyways.

And lastly, building rockets with command pods on the top is so last week!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: September 26, 2012, 04:23:58 am »

Don't get me wrong, the "landing stage" is paracuted. I put those 4*3tanks+engine on there only for ascent. Turns out, that's probably a bit overkill. I did just have another brilliant idea... Time to build.

edit: for some reason i forgot you can disable flow to certain tanks to effectively turn off engines. This changes everything.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:37:59 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: September 26, 2012, 09:53:53 am »

Right, here are my kethane Exploring, Expanding and Exploiting ships
Warning: Large pictures

The nice fairings on the top and the unmanned command pod are from the payload and satellite packs from the same page as the Kethane pack

It lands on Mun and is quite capable of driving around as long as you're extremely careful. I haven't actually gotten the chance to send it back into orbit, but it should have more than enough thrust and dV to take off and meet up with the orbiting fuel depot. (ignore the name, I used the same pod and launch platform for the fuel depot / converter station)
Both the depot and the transporter have erkle docking clamps, hence the smoke coming off the top.

Remember to add a kethane pump or two if you want to actually move kethane around with it.  :)
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2200 on: September 26, 2012, 10:27:30 am »

I'm aiming for my Duna arrival. I've gotten a ship to Mun, but I haven't landed elsewhere yet. I've got 700 mps and I'm more than 1,000 Km from "sea level". I've got plenty of fuel left in the tank- the nuke rocket has absurd efficiency- plus what's in the lander. I also have a parachute in the upper stage. What speed should I have for my Duna decent?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2201 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:38 am »

Right, here are my kethane Exploring, Expanding and Exploiting ships
Warning: Large pictures

The nice fairings on the top and the unmanned command pod are from the payload and satellite packs from the same page as the Kethane pack

Remember to add a kethane pump or two if you want to actually move kethane around with it.  :)
Awesome. I was working out a kethane 'base' yesterday, mounted on a rocket inside of cowling which would be going to the moon as a refueling base for further solar expansion. I have two designs for heavy landers and a conversion system, just gotta assemble them in orbit and putter over to the mun to land it.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: September 26, 2012, 11:28:42 am »

I just put my first two capsules in orbit. No rockets or fuel though.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

Kerbal space program is 4X.
Expanding, Exploring, Exploiting and Exploding.
:P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »

I take back my earlier statement. I believe periapsis on one of them reaches atmosphere.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 848