Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488022 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2175 on: September 24, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »

Mode 0 seems stupid but then you can focus the camera only where a plant is not where a planet will be so it makes zooming in your future periapsis easier because you can click the body and zoom in and your path will be there

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2176 on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:13 pm »

I'm having trouble using the navball to orient myself correctly to change my inclination. What i did during my last munar attempt was to point my craft directly at the nearest celestial body, ie the mun, then orient the next closest body to the left of my craft, then in theory by going into the map i could determine my craft's orientation in relation to everything else by looking at the relatonship between my craft and the 2 other objects. I then attempted to reduce inclination by pointing my craft at the opposite direction to the undesired inclination and burning in the hopes that would change something, now i realise this is probably the most fuel inefficient way of doing this and any change should and B) my orbit was actually getting more massive, probably because also due to an error my speed was increasing.
I gave up trying to make my inclination match the solar plane again and instead went straight to changing my orbit to match the muns. I almost suceeded, i had my orbiter orbiting kerbin at 11.5 million kilometers and travelling at 580 Km/s and just barely catching up with the mun, It was in my sights perhaps 200,000 kilometers away.
I pointed my craft straight at the damn rock and burned without any thoughts of bothering to line things up correctly, that's when i noticed my inclination had basically levelled out by itself during all the proceding burns i had made to match orbit and speed.
Anyhow i ran out of fuel and ended up with an orbit that almost touched the mun every 20 years.
Good times.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 24, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »

Play the orbit tutorial.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Inclination is always changed by burning 90 degrees up or down from the direction of travel. If you were travelling on the system plane, you'd burn directly north or south at the horizon. If you were travelling in a polar orbit, it would be east or west at the horizon. Inclination changes are always at the horizon.

EDIT: Also, unless you want your apoapsis or periapsis to change you'll need to change your heading as your inclination changes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:29:43 pm by sluissa »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 24, 2012, 10:39:29 pm »

One way trip, because I dont have enough fuel. Also due to lack of decoupler, the entire bottom part of the rocket was torn off anyway when the parachutes opened. Oops.

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 25, 2012, 03:33:56 am »

After many failed prototypes (about 20) I have finally completed the Reverse craft:
Reverse Engineering MK2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It drops the fuel tanks from the top instead of the bottom, like so:

It brings a super heavy interplanetary stage into orbit:
That's 3 and a half 3M fuel tanks, 8 1M fuel tanks, 8 Nerva engines and 1 small 3M engine(for lifting off from atmospheric planets).

This beast can easily reach Jool, and with clever air breaking, could probably land on one of the rock moons.

Flyby of Tylo with a nice Jool rise:

In orbit over Jool:

Fatal splashdown on Laythe:

I did actually manage to "land" on a small island on Laythe, however there was a mixup at the factory and the craft was outfitted with small landing legs.
The craft landed nicely on the beach with a solid 2m/s but bunched off the engine, since the legs were too short.
I "forgot" to take pictures out of shame.

I was figuring on just settling Laythe since it seems impossible to get back to Kerbin from there, since it has about the same atmosphere.
Jool is seriously Hard Mode.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:51:15 am by ank »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:01 am »

I was just about to come in here and post similar screenshots, except with less rocket remaining. Dam.
Atmosphere of it starts at 55000m btw.

I think i've got a design that will allow me to launch a rocket that can reach duna and return. Its based off the assumption that a single NERVA engine on 1 and a half 3m diameter tanks is enough to get the 3 man command pod home from duna orbit. Is that a good assumption?
Secondly, has anyone managed to land and take off from duna before? any idea what sort of rocket one needs to do it?

edit: the maths says you only need an escape velocity of 1500m/s to return to kerbin once you are in a 50km orbit of duna. In that case 1 and a half tanks of fuel is probably overkill.

edit: have some screenshots

The second is quite possibly one of the most amazing things i've seen in a sandbox game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:25:53 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 25, 2012, 09:07:07 am »

Is laythe habitable?
The surface is almost covered in ocean, question is: is it water?
It's very far from the sun, so it has to have some other way to make the water liquid.
Could it be lot's a greenhouse gas + tidal strain from Jool? (like Europa)

EDIT: are you landing on Laythe in both pictures? what does the launch stage look like?

EDIT2: Remember that the atmosphere is blue, and the colour represents it's chemical composition. Can you get this kind of greenhouse effect with a blue atmosphere?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:09:36 am by ank »

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 25, 2012, 09:32:55 am »

Behold!! My Mun mining base, courtesy of the kethane mod.

Edit: Uhh... Did i accidentally kill the thread or something? Was it that bad?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:48:30 pm by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 25, 2012, 12:55:32 pm »

The sun has a body! And spots!

Anyone else noticed? 'Landed' on it?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 25, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »

actually, it works fine in .17 from what I can tell... only minor hitch is that it may not place kethane deposits on the new planets unless you're starting a clean new game.

(i.e. You had Kethane installed before .17, upgraded, and are still using the same save.) I'm not entirely sure about that though.

In any case, I've already got a mining operation going on the mun, after my third attempt landing. First ended in non-destructive failure. The rocket just tipped over on the Mun. Kerbs were fine and are waiting for rescue. Second ended up much the same way, except with more explosions. Kerbs died tragically. Third ended up well enough with a bit of mechjeb help.(It was dark and I couldn't see to land and didn't have enough fuel to boost myself back up into orbit for another attempt in brighter conditions.)

I've also heard reports that people have found kethane not only on Duna, but the moons of Jool as well.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2186 on: September 25, 2012, 02:51:39 pm »

EDIT: you know those recommended videos that come up after watching a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkkLAfFIbY&feature=player_embedded
this is brilliant.
That was fantastic.

This video is nowhere near as good, just me putting my first satellite into orbit. Still, I'm learning. I thought the cowling was interesting, and I'm still tweaking designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfBjkcmhE0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2187 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:27 pm »

arright!

getting kethane mod!
also, I like that moon jool has that has oceans etc. on it. I can imagine that being one of the first planets to colonise, in the game.

EDIT: you know those recommended videos that come up after watching a video?

this is brilliant.

I don't know about that. The first place I'd colonize is Minimus; with its low gravity, a large ship can leave there much more easily than Kerbin, allowing more payload per mission when going elsewhere. Meanwhile, getting to Minimus is relatively easy for even a rather large payload.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2188 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »

Low polar orbit is probably best for mapping, TBH, as over time, the whole planet will be mapped, not just one area.
Yeah, the equatorial orbit was just to test the satellite. I have one in high polar orbit (400km orbit). With two scanners, it maps pretty decently even at 400k and gets a very wide area on each pass. This image is from only a few orbits, you can see how wide the mapping area is per pass.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2189 on: September 25, 2012, 03:10:27 pm »

I'll just pretend this things are advanced remote controlled machines that wage war on a planet completely unrelated to Kerbin. And this war will never reach it.

I can't help it, I like goofiness of KSP to much to see little green guys intentionally blasting each other with those serious-looking, cold machines of war.  :(

But that aside - nice video and some damn nice models.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 848