Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488435 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice.

I'll be very happy to have other places to travel to. The new parts, however, are giving me a bit of a challenge just getting to the Mun. I've managed the small capsule, it was just like old times, the larger capsule though requires a bit of rethinking. The big tanks can easily be crushed by too many tanks higher up, or, as I found out earlier, crushed by excessive thrust from the bottom. My last design which managed to orbit the mun, but not actually land, could not be pushed much above half thrust on the first stage or else the whole thing would collapse in on itself. And that's after liberal use of struts to keep things together.

There is some refining to be done there, I expect.

Why is the sky red?

That's most likely a screenshot from another planet. One of the listed goals for the next version is to add more planets and moons to explore.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've found attaching some small half height fuel tanks to the sides of the large tanks, and using those as a point to attach inter stage bracing works somewhat ok to get rockets into orbit. However, I think the ideal rocket is going to be some kind of onion design that's only about 2-3 tanks high for the main stage.
Magma is overrated.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I thought they were releasing all the other planets in one lump?
Why? Kerbin didn't even get both of it's moons in one lump :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using small pylons to get struts between vertical stages, but that's not a bad idea either.

My designs haven't been absurdly tall yet. The tallest was only 4 large tanks high plus capsule. Even my 3 tank + capsule was suffering from crushing at high thrusts.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They've stated that they're releasing "many" planets and moons in this update.
Supposedly the overall goal is to have 4 rock and 4 gaseous planets, though i'm not sure we'll see all of those in this update.

edit: update log here
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:32:52 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of these days, someone is going to find a way to land on a gaseous planet.

And it will be glorious and probably crushing experience.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm really excited for the next update. The current one didn't really hold my interest, but all these planets will be fun to explore.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Crap. Does the last part of the changelog means we will have to wait two months for bugfixes of current issues?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Ok, spaceplanes are fucking difficult. Mine keep rolling into awesome crashes. Any tips?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crap. Does the last part of the changelog means we will have to wait two months for bugfixes of current issues?

Seems like we'll have to wait till 0.17 for them

On the other hand, i expect that this update cycle might be a bit quicker, the tasks *seem* smallish.
Magma is overrated.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

How do I switch back to controlling the ship after one of my crew goes EVA?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

I believe you select which to control with the bracket keys.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been trying to get an outpost to the Mun. So far I have had mixed results.

Spoiler: In orbit (click to show/hide)

The goal is to have this entire section land. There are ladders all over the place so the crew can (in theory) climb down from the capsule.

Launch was difficult and getting the apos to 11.4 million KM took forever (the orbit stage is 6 tiny engines).

Descent is annoying as well. Pushing around that much mass with 6 of the tiny engines makes it hard to react if you start your retro burn late. I ended up desending over the course of 5 to 10 minutes.

It went... okay.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Can someone please give me a mirror for Mechjeb, Damned Robotics, Damned Aeronautics and that crew thing that was also in the damned Aeronautics thread?
Fucking forum move..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I finally broke down and gave mechjeb a try. I am happy to note I can still USUALLY do things more efficiently if I do them by hand, but it is handy at least to just keep the nose pointed in a specific direction and as a source of a bit more information. (Exact inclination info is always nice.) Would also be nice to be able to use mechjeb with an empty capsule, but I guess that's asking a bit much at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 848