Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1488427 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

*SNOP*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:28:17 am by Japa »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

This could work.
While that looks like it could be helpful for Aurora, how does that fix KSP messing up my staging?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Sorry, mis-post. I meant to rely that to an entirely different thread where a guy was having trouble with DF being too small.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oops :P

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been a while since I played, but I vaguely remember you can drag modules around on the stage setup sidebar in the hangar.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, you can also add stage there. Just play with it and figure it out.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know you can rearrange stages and stuff. Problem is that no matter how many decouplers or whatever I add, pretty much every part after two or three stages gets added to the same stage. Basically, all the engines on the entire ship fire at once, and then everything decouples at the same time. When you've got around 15 engines that need to fire in exact sequence, hunting for those specific engines in a massive stack of icons is more annoying than fun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I know you can rearrange stages and stuff. Problem is that no matter how many decouplers or whatever I add, pretty much every part after two or three stages gets added to the same stage. Basically, all the engines on the entire ship fire at once, and then everything decouples at the same time. When you've got around 15 engines that need to fire in exact sequence, hunting for those specific engines in a massive stack of icons is more annoying than fun.
Add new stages and move those parts to the other stages so they fire in the correct order. It may be annoying but the game can't read your mind. I try to stage each engine as I add it to the rocket, rather than designing the entire thing then working out the stages after.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

thats odd, ive had 6 stage rockets...
and launched a cap around the sun. it orbits every 30 odd days. and they were ALL happy.....
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Spoiler: the slowcorde (click to show/hide)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Some of you may remember one of my experimental craft designs from previous versions; the ones which use huge numbers of wings around a very small body to drill their way through the atmosphere w/o engines.

Well, as it turns out, I realized the new canards and advanced canards had insanely better lift/drag and lift/mass ratios than the wings available at the time. I present to you XPREMENTAL:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It uses a single SRB to launch (as this design needs an engine to start out the flights), with that SRB being used as the craft's body. It has 104 advanced canards for thrust, with the old-style capsule (though I suspect I could improve it by switching to a new one). It has 8 struts reinforcing the capsule's connection, as the high torque can result in it falling off and killing the craft if they aren't there.

So now you must be wondering as to its performance. It is in fact insanely good compared to the old wing versions:
Max velocity: 1560 m/s in atmosphere, w/o engines
Max altitude: aprox. 170 km or so (whatever 1560 m/s gets you up to, really)
Optimal altitude: 4,000 - 10,000 meters
So yeah; near-orbital velocities at very low altitude, allowing for point-to-point travel in a timely manner. Can't really land it, and it does get a bit jiggly with all the wings, but overall a pretty interesting experimental craft. The main limitations are cpu speed and drag; cpu speed prevents it from scaling up much more, as even doubling the size and number of wings would probably bring it to a crawl; drag prevents it from getting too much faster (which may be helped a bit by changing cockpits). But that it can already make it to orbital distances makes it a potentially useful tool, or at least augmentation for another design.

Oh, and it can pull nearly 30 G's while accelerating. :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:22:08 pm by alway »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

I want to see this beast in action.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Hmm, just found a new design using those principles which is less maneuverable, but which is less CPU intensive, simpler, and goes up to 1800 m/s. Edit: And is nearly unlaunchable due to being so hard to control... But I have another idea which new stuff makes possible.... Time to try it...
EDIT:
OH HELLS YEAH!!! BEST VTOL EVER!!!
Think helicopter, but if the helicopter itself spun with the blades.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:06:10 pm by alway »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, just found a new design using those principles which is less maneuverable, but which is less CPU intensive, simpler, and goes up to 1800 m/s. Edit: And is nearly unlaunchable due to being so hard to control... But I have another idea which new stuff makes possible.... Time to try it...
EDIT:
OH HELLS YEAH!!! BEST VTOL EVER!!!
Think helicopter, but if the helicopter itself spun with the blades.

I used to do that to rockets in early versions when you could just get boosters a bit off vertical alignment. It's good for going up, but goes out of control if you mess with it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

New design that makes use of flaps instead of canards; maximum velocity from a vertical launch(w/ a single SRB): 2121 m/s, putting me at 124 km altitude in 1 minutes, 11 seconds. :D
It needed more struts than flaps to keep the wings they were mounted on from being ripped off the craft by the massive torque, rotation, and lift.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:48:37 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 848