Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484566 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2011, 07:12:16 pm »

Engine 1-17 just exploded, there face says it all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »

Wow, I think I managed a small Macross Missile Massacre with radials and solid boosters.

Next step, a full Macross Missile Massacre.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

You'll know you've achieved orbit when you reach periapsis, that is the low point in the orbit when your height reverses from decreasing to increasing.

The highest vertical speed i've been able to get is around 3333mps. The rocket was so ridiculous, but i'm starting to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50:38 pm »

I got this game working, by updating wine. Time to test my first rocket!

Made a suborbital flight, apogee was about 120k feet. Not bad for my first rocket! going to add on a final stage and have a 3 stage so I can get a proper orbital insertion burn.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:57:38 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »

You'll know you've achieved orbit when you reach periapsis, that is the low point in the orbit when your height reverses from decreasing to increasing.

The highest vertical speed i've been able to get is around 3333mps. The rocket was so ridiculous, but i'm starting to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Mine peaks at 4,650 m/s if fired straight up, but I've been following this game since the 7th and learned lots of tips and tricks over time.

My big tip; liquid engines are awesome for their duration, but the low thrust to weight makes them hard to get off the ground. My current best design uses three liquid engines in the primary lift stage, each with 3 fuel tanks; the key is 6 solid boosters attached by radial decouplers so that the liquid engines can still fire. It takes some customization of the stage setup, but the ship lifts off with all 6 SRBs and the 3 liquid engines firing; once the SRBs die they're detached in the next stage to save weight, but the liquid engines continue to fire (the ship actually starts slowing down at this point; but even if speed is going down, altitude keeps going up, and since fuel tanks lose weight as their fuel is drained it eventually starts accelerating again. And with 3 fuel tanks the lift stage lasts several minutes).

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2011, 07:57:08 pm »

Personally I stick by my coupler based launch method. My current design is
Code: [Select]
Comm
Coupler
Fuel
Fuel
Fuel
Engine
Coupler
Tricoupler
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Engine-Engine-Engine
Coupler-Coupler-Coupler

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2011, 08:02:38 pm »

Comm
Coupler
Fuel
Fuel
Fuel
Engine
Coupler
Tricoupler
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Engine-Engine-Engine
Coupler-Coupler-Coupler

Why couplers on the bottom? Otherwise, yours is very similar to mine, though I have a SAS on top of the tricoupler plus the previously mentioned side mounted SRBs.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:19 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY9P2iY6pTo

8.1 is going to be awesome!

Edit: Checking the forums ETA of the patch is the 18th.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:06:27 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:07 pm »

I am disappointed that I can't attach liquid fuel rockets to a side decoupler. I was planning on making a semi-realistic shuttle stack.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:36 pm »

This game is brilliant. Does anyone know if they have ideas to model in RCS fuel tanks? or will they always be 'unlimited' as now. It's not a big issue, but it's one thing I noticed.

Just on my second mission now, a  three stage rocket with a 3x2 fuel + 3x engine first stage, a 3x1 fuel 3x engine second stage and a single engine final stage. It may shoot out of orbit at this rate, my OIB was extremely late so didnt really work.

*At this rate re-entry will be at a couple thousand metres a second. I hope it isnt modeled correctly  :P

**Ok it just escaped earths gravity. My nauts will die a cold and lonely death.

I'm going to try using 2 SRB's on the next and disregard the first stage, its unwieldy and unstable.

Lol my one with 2 SRB's fell over on the pad and exploded.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:22:59 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:23 pm »

A, the planet is Kerbal, not Earth. It's smaller. B, you can't escape the gravity. There will always be some tiny amount of gravity on the ship.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »

I managed to cobble together a passable-looking shuttle stack with a large solid booster surrounded by three small ones and a liquid fuel 'shuttle' and an arseton of SASes. Straight off the launch pad, the whole thing does a quadruple backflip right into the ground. When the smoke cleared, the command module was sitting upright on the ground, with all three kerbalnauts screaming their heads off, but alive.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2011, 08:23:44 pm »

A, the planet is Kerbal, not Earth. It's smaller. B, you can't escape the gravity. There will always be some tiny amount of gravity on the ship.

A) dont care. B) you can escape the gravity, its when you make a trans lunar injection or otherwise escape the planets orbit. It doesn't mean the gravity has no effect whatsoever on it. Sorry I should have explained this.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »

Comm
Coupler
Fuel
Fuel
Fuel
Engine
Coupler
Tricoupler
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Fuel-Fuel-Fuel
Engine-Engine-Engine
Coupler-Coupler-Coupler

Why couplers on the bottom? Otherwise, yours is very similar to mine, though I have a SAS on top of the tricoupler plus the previously mentioned side mounted SRBs.

I just used this same exact rocket to get into a stable orbit with nearly a full fuel tank left to play around with/deorbit.

The reasoning for the bottom couplers is because of a weird thing that won't let the liquid rockets take off straight from the pad. I discovered this by accident by having a few exploding solid rockets bump my ship up off the pad, letting it take orbit in that form. Once I took the solid rockets off, it wouldn't lift off, but putting anything under there that will detatch will let it lift off easily. Although if they explode, sometimes 1/3 of the rocket goes with it.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »

I noticed this SRB thing, but then I put 3 on the bottom this time and it worked fine. Unsure why this is.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 848