Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489132 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The trick is to go up fast enough that you aren't on fire long enough for anything to explode. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Successfully completed my first docking!!

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS NERVE-WRACKING  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I been playing long enough that I may as well PTW this thread.

Still not achieved orbit even once, came awfully close with a small rocket today though. Made it half way around the world.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Before 1.0, I absolutely sucked at docking, and could only do so after wasting giant amounts of fuel to rendezvous. But the first time I tried in 1.0 I was able to do it perfectly on my first try, and it is instinctual now.  I don't know what the hell happened. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

With inspiration and advice from this thread, I built my first Mun lander and performed my first successful propulsive landing yesterday. The first test flight, flown under remote control, came down in a steep-walled crater, fell over and broke apart, but proved the design nonetheless. On the second flight I maneuvered to avoid hazards while still high up and the ship set down on a gentle slope. Jeb and company planted a flag and a plaque about how they came in peace for all Kerbalkind.

Out of an abundance of caution, I ended up thrusting for longer than I should have during the descent. On the ascent, my crew nearly fell victim to the cold equations when they turned out to not have enough fuel to make orbit on the main engine. I managed to get them into orbit on RCS thrusters and used the dregs of the monopropellant to rendezvous with my Munar space station, completing the mission with no deaths.

The lander wasn't designed for Kerbin entry, so the crew's currently aboard one of my seven-place Kerbin-to-orbit shuttles along with other personnel I'm finally recovering from the station, ready to undock and fly home. It remains to be seen whether this shuttle will be the first ship coming home from the Mun that doesn't run out of main-engine fuel and have to complete its burns on RCS.

For that matter, on the next launch I should reduce shuttle weight by removing the emergency decoupler that jettisons the Hitchhiker Storage Container and the main chutes. I just know I'm going to forget to set stage-lock and accidentally fire it in a situation that kills everyone.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Whenever I rendezvous I have to wait like fifty orbits before the encounters get close enough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

plane old
I see what you did there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

docking?

justuse.mechjeb

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

(this is assuming you don't already use MechJeb and that you don't really want to start using it)

Just use MechJeb is in the vehicle editor to make sure you have sufficient dV, then delete the part before launch.

Now you'll know whether you suck at building ships or if you just suck at piloting them :P

I'm pretty sure the in-game statistics tab tells you your /\V
what in-game statistics tab
Begin a flight
Open the map
Click the button on the right-middle called "info" or something
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Successfully completed my first docking!!

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS NERVE-WRACKING  :o

Lucky you. I just realized how hard it is when I decided to build my space station in multiple parts. I'm making my third attempt in a few minutes now. Wish me luck.
(That post is also basically just a thinly veiled PTW.)
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

docking?

justuse.mechjeb

IIRC, the MechJeb with docking assist doesn't unlock till 500 science tier.

Basically I made a concentric orbit about 3 km higher than the station, and waited for it to catch up. Since the station orbit is about 85km, an orbital period is just a little over a half-hour. Took about a day or so to sync up.

Then a couple of tiny ad-hoc burns to close the gap down to within 0.3km. Then the REAL fun started -- trying to use frantic RCS manuevering to line shit up, while occasionally switching over to the station and rolling it so that the docking port was pointed toward my oncoming ship. Didn't quite line up and I had a heart-stopping moment when the ship bumped the station core and started wobbling but eventually the docking collars slipped into position. And there was much rejoicing.

Of course, now I realize that I've done a shit job of designing the station modules, and I'm going to have to seperate the two halves and put a multi-port link in between to allow for continued expansion (need a much bigger solar array, for one) and still need a fuel storage and a communications array. At least now that I've got a proven delivery vehicle, I can just swap out the payloads.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Oh I play in Sandbox mode.

In Science mode MechJeb isn't ever gonna do anything for you you haven't already done yourself, most of the time.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Made a neat SSTO with a cubic octagonal strut between the nervas and the rapiers so they can both work at the same time but are lined up. managed to get it to orbit without overheating anything on its first flight.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

For those having docking trouble, any vessel with the ability to SAS toward target is able to continue doing so while switched to a different craft in the physics bubble, so you can have both controlled from the docking port and targeting the opposite docking port and they will auto line up.

Very handy.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

There is a pretty good trick to docking if you have a level one pilot or probe. Once you get close enough (within ~2km, at least), engage SAS, switch the navball to target mode, and use the retrograde lock. Burn till relative speed is zero, then burn directly at your target at least till your prograde marker is directly over the target marker. Profit.
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 848