Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489531 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You can't fold caseless solar panels anymore?? Noooooo

More seriously it does give you a reason to actually use the ones with a case despite the extra weight, now.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

You alteady had a reason - survivability - except that whole aspect of the game is borked

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Ok, got a encounter with Kerbin, and then had nowhere near the fuel required for slowing down. Fuck. I just KNOW that if I hadn't fucked this up at literally every opportunity it would have worked.

Ah well, infinite fuel now :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

You alteady had a reason - survivability - except that whole aspect of the game is borked

I've never had anything break during ascent, like a single solar panel etc, excluding catastrophic failures of the whole craft...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

You can't fold caseless solar panels anymore?? Noooooo
What do you mean by that? I'm not at that tech level yet so haven't tried them out, and the only thing I can imagine you mean doesn't make much sense.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They unfold, and then they won't fold back up, because reasons.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems totally reasonable.   They could unfold purely mechanically with springs and some sort of ratchet or locking mechanism.   

Refolding would require a more complicated mechanism as well as a motor, and would only have value for landers.  I'm happy to see the differentiation.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The panels with case seem to survive reentry pretty well also. Very useful for mods like stagerecovery/construction time so they go back into inventory for reuse.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, got a encounter with Kerbin, and then had nowhere near the fuel required for slowing down. Fuck. I just KNOW that if I hadn't fucked this up at literally every opportunity it would have worked.

Best to aim for the dead center of the planet so when you do get into SOI you'll be off by a bit and can just burn a tad to get into aerobrake range. Worst case you still have your lithobrake.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Best to aim for the dead center of the planet so when you do get into SOI you'll be off by a bit and can just burn a tad to get into aerobrake range. Worst case you still have your lithobrake.
I can't orbital mechanics quite that hard yet. Took me about an hour of fiddling just to get an encounter. Anyway, used infinite fuel after that, not exactly proud of it, but whatever learned a bunch of things.

Now I am flying the SLOWEST PLANE EVAR to the OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE GODDAMN PLANET because that is where the one aerial survey mission the game decided to give me after I actually unlocked aircraft happened to spawn.
Seriously, before I could do ANY PLANES AT ALL my mission log was a fucking clutter of those bastards, now that I have turbojets and such it doesn't want to spawn any ever.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you not have patched conics available? You might want to change the default draw mode.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you not have patched conics available? You might want to change the default draw mode.
Of course I have patched conics, I'm just not able to get that exact of a maneuver node from interplanetary space :P BFEL isn't that good yet, this is my second ever interplanetary mission so yeah.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course I have patched conics, I'm just not able to get that exact of a maneuver node from interplanetary space :P BFEL isn't that good yet, this is my second ever interplanetary mission so yeah.

I was just curious if you had upgraded your tracking station enough. Throw down a maneuver node in front of your craft and play with it a bunch. Watch where the maneuver node goes on the navball. You'll get used to it with time. You can always run a rough maneuver node and then fine tune it with some on the fly burns.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Maneuver nodes come with patched conics? Knowing that would have made the past half hour much easier.

I made a Mun flyby trip, but it was tight on fuel. Only .5L of liquid fuel to spare by the time I got my periapse on return below 70km.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maneuver nodes come with mission control and tracking station.
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 848