Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486155 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10455 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:55 pm »

Reflective Ambient Light
Pretty. Is it graphics intensive?

A little. It adds several (3 normally, but you can reduce it to 1) extra lights to the scene, but since they are without shadows the impact is not that big. It will be progressively more noticeable as what you're trying to display on the screen reaches the limit of what your machine can display normally - i.e. if you have several thousand parts on the screen, and graphics enhancement like Better Atmospheres running, then you're going to see serious slowdown.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10456 on: October 13, 2014, 08:36:37 pm »

Why is mechjeb required for rescuing jeb?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:43 pm »

I started a career game so I could get used to the new mods I'd be using for my mission to Mars. Real Solar System doesn't fool around. My first orbiter is bigger than most standard Mun mission rockets, and I'm still struggling to get it into orbit. It should have enough delta-v but it keeps falling back into the atmosphere before it makes the requisite 8 km/s. Jeb and Bill both died fiery deaths, and Bob is only alive because I pre-emptively aborted his mission and gave his capsule an extra heat shield.

If I'm serious about using RSS, I may need a mod that expands the VAB to make room for the massive rockets I'll need.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: October 13, 2014, 09:10:00 pm »

I think that fuel weight may be exaggerated in stock?  I remember reading some guy's blog about landing on the Moon with the realistic solar system mod, and he also had tweaked some things about the rocket sizes and engines and fuel weights to match actual NASA numbers.  I could not find it on a quick web search, but there is some "realism overhaul" mod collection that might include things like this.

But if you're going to go that way, you might as well be playing Orbiter instead, yeah?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: October 13, 2014, 09:11:07 pm »

But you can't exactly build your own rockets in Orbiter.
Nothing important here, move along.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: October 13, 2014, 09:15:50 pm »

well, no, not the same way.

You can, and there are even some tutorials for it.  But it's not like you can snap them together out of lego blocks like you can in KSP.  So, yeah, point taken.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: October 13, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »

I started a career game so I could get used to the new mods I'd be using for my mission to Mars. Real Solar System doesn't fool around. My first orbiter is bigger than most standard Mun mission rockets, and I'm still struggling to get it into orbit. It should have enough delta-v but it keeps falling back into the atmosphere before it makes the requisite 8 km/s. Jeb and Bill both died fiery deaths, and Bob is only alive because I pre-emptively aborted his mission and gave his capsule an extra heat shield.

If I'm serious about using RSS, I may need a mod that expands the VAB to make room for the massive rockets I'll need.

Here, I think this is the one I was talking about.  Updates your fuel density and engines to their realistic counterparts, should work better on a realistically sized planet:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64118

It is included in this larger overhaul thing:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84689

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:06 pm »

Yeah, kerbal rockets generally have worse performance than their real life counterparts. I think KW rockets are a bit more in line with the real thing, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm that?

I've looked at the Realism Overhaul and I'm a bit hesitant to use it because of some of its requirements. Namely the Engine Ignitor mod. Seems like it'd mostly just be a pain in the ass to manage. Could use real fuels but I don't think it is compatible with any of the mining mods. Also a bit more complicated than what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I got into orbit on the third try. It's wonky orbit with a 120km periapsis and a 600km apoapsis, but at least it's stable. In the future, I'll have to remember to have an engine with decent thrust for orbital insertion, a single lv-909 just doesn't cut it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:38:46 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:06 pm »

All the numbers are very specifically chosen for parts and bodies and everything. It's all balanced to be slightly substandard. No one part is perfect for any one design. That's all intentional.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:41 pm »

I've had some more time to play around with the Mars mission mods in my test game. MKS seems pretty complicated but much better for building life support systems than the other mods I was looking at, so thanks for suggesting it.

Karbonite also seems to meet my fuel production needs quite well. It even has atmospheric scoops which can collect argon for use with the NFT engines, so I can refuel the mothership. It also has particle collectors which work anywhere in a planet's SOI. Unfortunately, I don't think the particle collectors apply any drag to the ship, which would make them too overpowered for my purposes. I'd have to limit myself to high-altitude gliders if I were to go in that direction. Or maybe I'll edit TAC lifesupport's water splitter to produce useable hydrogen and use a hydrogen fueled engine, we'll see.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently the particle collector only works very close to the planet's atmosphere (as it should) and because of some weirdness with how RSS extends the atmosphere, this puts it inside the physical time warp only range (but still seemingly in space). On Earth this leaves it with just a thin band of a few thousand meters between the atmosphere and "true" space where it actually works. It might not work at all on other planets, I don't know. Regardless, I probably won't use it.

So, I just have to wait for a few more mods to update and then I can get this mission underway.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:43:48 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:04 am »

I've had some more time to play around with the Mars mission mods in my test game. MKS seems pretty complicated but much better for building life support systems than the other mods I was looking at, so thanks for suggesting it.

Karbonite also seems to meet my fuel production needs quite well. It even has atmospheric scoops which can collect argon for use with the NFT engines, so I can refuel the mothership. It also has particle collectors which work anywhere in a planet's SOI. Unfortunately, I don't think the particle collectors apply any drag to the ship, which would make them too overpowered for my purposes. I'd have to limit myself to high-altitude gliders if I were to go in that direction. Or maybe I'll edit TAC lifesupport's water splitter to produce useable hydrogen and use a hydrogen fueled engine, we'll see.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently the particle collector only works very close to the planet's atmosphere (as it should) and because of some weirdness with how RSS extends the atmosphere, this puts it inside the physical time warp only range (but still seemingly in space). On Earth this leaves it with just a thin band of a few thousand meters between the atmosphere and "true" space where it actually works. It might not work at all on other planets, I don't know. Regardless, I probably won't use it.

So, I just have to wait for a few more mods to update and then I can get this mission underway.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. There was a reason I instantly jumped ship from Kethane to Karbonite, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done so either. Now just to wait for EPL to have support for Karbonite as well, and all is well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: October 15, 2014, 03:10:12 am »

I've been using a karbonite engine for my lander module; it's worked very well so far. Just set it to 10% thrust and it's only slightly more powerful than an LV-909 (though half as efficient).

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:12 am »

Okay, my mission plan is gradually getting fleshed out. For the mothership I'll be using VASIMR plasma thrusters fueled by liquid hydrogen. Once it gets to Mars, I'll set up a small installation on Phobos which will extract hydrogen from ice to refuel the mothership.

There is one minor issue with that plan. When I tried to land a test craft on Phobos it clipped through the ground and then exploded quite spectacularly, despite the no crash damage and unbreakable joint cheats being active. Hopefully I can find a more stable landing site when it comes time to do it for real.

Right now I'm trying to balance out TAC life support's water splitter so it can be used to provide liquid hydrogen. Unfortunately, the life support resources are really not designed for the type of mass conversions required for fuels. Even with the conversion factor cranked up to 100, it would take several years to fill up one medium hydrogen tank using the default ratios. So I've had to fudge the hydrogen production by a few orders of magnitude. It was either that or completely rebalance the whole system. Lets just pretend its using some kind of heretofore unknown kind of ultra heavy water with 2000 hydrogen atoms.
                        - Random human lord

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: October 15, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

Since when do manned pods use electricity? Just had a failed Munmission because I ran out.

This has never happened to me before. Stupid addition imo >.>. Why give me the mission to go to Mun without solar panels...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:06 am »

They always used electricity ever since reaction wheels were made non-magic. You can conserve electricity in flight by turning off the pod's reaction wheels until you actually need them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 848