Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486367 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10260 on: September 15, 2014, 07:54:55 pm »

Wait, KSP has a download client?

Well, thats another thing to be smug for not using.

Why yes, I am a asshole. But frankly, any program that eats up over two years of game budget after a WEEK of having a game by deciding that Im not allowed to play it anymore (When I have the fucking disk!) is gonna earn my ire forever more. $80 does not grow on any tree.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10261 on: September 15, 2014, 09:39:50 pm »

You try to contact support for that?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: September 16, 2014, 01:40:50 am »

I've found my spaceplanes can rarely ever actually launch off the runway. They get to the end of the runway before being able to take off due to the ground suddenly disappearing.

They work fine otherwise. Until they enter a death spiral for no reason, or an engine cuts out and sends me into a death spiral. Or something explodes and sends me into a death spiral.

The trick to taking off is keeping the flaps in charge of pitch at the back so that the rear landing gear is situated between the flaps and the center of mass and you get a lever-action when trying to pull up. If your rear gear is behind your pitch flaps, you'll never lift off the runway. Also, for optimal control, I suggest separating the different controls so each set of flaps only controls one aspect, for example, horizontal tail flaps for pitch, tail fin(s) for yaw, wing flaps for roll.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: September 16, 2014, 01:55:56 am »

The trick to taking off is actually being nose up on the runway. Just make your landing gear in the back shorter than on the front, and you'll be in a stable take-off arrangement that should take off by itself without much input from you.

Also, if you do use a nose-down arrangement (so as to land with less bouncing, and less chance of tailstrike), then you have to put your landing gear exactly below the center of mass, or juuuust behind it. That way the "lever action" from the pitch controls will have its pivot in the exact spot where it is most balanced.

And of course you can use canards to pitch up on take-off, especially if you're nose-heavy, but canards will really make it hard for you to reenter empty - too much lift and drag up front will cause you to tumble at the slightest deviation from "straight forward".
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:59:46 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: September 16, 2014, 02:00:32 am »

option 1: tilt whole plane so that it naturally points up:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

option 2: place rear wheel just behind center of mass and leave enough clearance for the rear wings to push the tail down:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: September 16, 2014, 02:59:53 am »

I've noticed that air intakes can be closed and retain their air even after exiting into space, allowing you to use jet engines in space for a short time. Is there any way, stock or modded, to store air aside from the intakes' small amount?

Edit: I know that the jet engines run on something like 15:1 air to liquid fuel ratio and that this would probably be pretty inefficient weight and size-wise to hold 16 times as much air as fuel. I'm not looking for a full load of air, just something to help the engines keep going at those higher altitudes and make a few small corrections once up there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:32:17 am by Ygdrad »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: September 16, 2014, 03:11:40 am »

I've noticed that air intakes can be closed and retain their air even after exiting into space, allowing you to use jet engines in space for a short time. Is there any way, stock or modded, to store air aside from the intakes' small amount?

Sure, Firespitter even includes some air tanks. The problem is that jet engines don't work in space, even with an internal air supply. The thrust the jet engines give off curves downward at extreme altitudes and speeds, leaving it at some infinitesimal amount once you get to space. You can see it in action if you turn on infinite fuel and try to fly a plane to duna.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: September 16, 2014, 03:35:57 am »

Sure, Firespitter even includes some air tanks. The problem is that jet engines don't work in space, even with an internal air supply. The thrust the jet engines give off curves downward at extreme altitudes and speeds, leaving it at some infinitesimal amount once you get to space. You can see it in action if you turn on infinite fuel and try to fly a plane to duna.

Are you talking from experience there? I know the jet engines shouldn't work well at all in space, but a lot of things in the base game seem to work oddly or be powered by witchcraft and prayers, so I thought I could at least get some small use out of them.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: September 16, 2014, 05:38:26 am »

I HAVE gotten an Air Tank powered Jet Craft to space and the Jet Engines DO work.
Just not very well, like, at all.
Like, Ion Engine level power.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: September 16, 2014, 06:43:40 am »

Speaking of ion engines, does xenon for those work like normal fuel or monoprop? I.E. can I leave my xenon in a cargobay unconnected to the actual engines or do I need a bit of a redesign?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:33 am »

It's vessel-wide, so no need for fuel lines.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:03 am »

Oh fuck, that's awesome!
Now I can just tack two to the back of my craft and I'm in business!

Well, once I can actually AFFORD said craft :P

So I made the "Surveyor II" aircraft and holy balls, this thing is an improvement over pretty much EVERYTHING in the original, and the original was the best plane I've made yet.

This one uses a cargo bay to store all the science experiments it can do (temperature, atmospheric, seismic) as well as its radiators, precooler, and six of the radioisotope generators. And its transmitter.
Not only that, but this one is MOAR STABLE then the last iteration, as well as being perfectly agile. I can do goddamn barrel rolls in this thing at mach 3 (note: not actually tested, but looks likely)

Its slower then its predecessor, but this is actually a good thing, because hitting mach 2 and 3 at "I want to land this thing" altitudes isn't good for...well for landing.

Only problem is a issue with the cargo bay not closing. I seem to have an outdated version of that particular Firespitter plugin. Anyone know an up to date one?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:08:38 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: September 16, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »

I landed on minmus.
Spoiler: What a great view (click to show/hide)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: September 16, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »

Why arent you using the shiny pod of shiny? (ALCOR pod)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »

What is so special about ALCOR? The stock lander pod(s) always worked great for me, especially after I installed RPM and its IVA overhauls and external cameras.

Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 848