Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486480 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10185 on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:04 am »

Last night I got B9 working fine. The huge parts are awesome, I almost want to build a station with a hangar using them.

There's one problem, though. That problem is that FAR is still being a sack of crap. I barely even had to move my plane before it disintegrated, so I turned off aerodynamic failures. However, at random times, I can be flying and the game will seem to forget that my plane has wings, turning me sideways, and I start to fall downwards, unable to control my craft at all.

When it's not royally screwing up, though, aerodynamics behave much more realistically.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10186 on: September 10, 2014, 11:29:59 am »

That's caused by stalling, which usually means your planes have the center of lift too far forward or you're trying to push the plane beyond its aerodynamic limits. When you're turning you generally want to keep the plane's nose within 5 degrees of the prograde marker or you'll stall out. If you're constantly over-controlling you might want to decrease the pitch angle of your control surfaces by right-clicking on them in the SPH. Also it's a good idea to have a dedicated set of control surfaces for each turning axis (pitch, roll, yaw) otherwise they can interfere with each other.

FAR takes some getting used to, but with a well designed plane and careful piloting you'll do fine.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: September 10, 2014, 01:01:22 pm »

Too many parts to become stock

That and infernal robotics doesn't really fit with the other parts: they swamp them.
Same thing with kethane.

Takes o much part to get to a workable anything.
Kethane has about as many parts as Spaceplanes +. KAS.dll stock would be grand, but just as prone to ctd.

I'm not saying rip it totally like they are with SP+, I'm saying I would like to see kerbal construction/maintenance like in KAS, with placeable struts/pipes etc.
Makes em' feel like they are actual astronauts instead of just glorified science experiments/flag planters :P

I've heard that one reason KAS is horribly crashy is that its basically a big kludge around the stock programming, if the devs worked with it I think they could make it stable, which is the reason I want to see it stock instead of just dling KAS all the time.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:18 pm »

Dunno never had a crash by previous kas in ksp 23.5 and i run loads of mods

But i am not imaginative enough to build big contraptions I did mostly cranes

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: September 10, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »

KAS has caused problems for me every time I've tried to use it. It's a shame because I really like the idea of simple in-flight construction and being able to lay down fuel lines instead of having to dock.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: September 10, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »

So I just had probably my first "Kerbal survived speeds/heights that he really shouldn't have" incident. And boy was it awesome. Was flying "Surveyor I" back to the runway after completing some aerial surveys and transmitting a bunch of temperature data and crew reports.

Surveyor I is easily classifiable as a hypersonic aircraft, seeing as it was going upwards of 700m/s at only 3000 meters up (I was sorta-kinda stress testing to see just how fast that fucker could go, seeing as I spent pretty much the entire mission at or below half thrust, and still flew around easy at supersonic speeds and altitudes)

So naturally, I quicksaved, sure that it would end up being disintegrated by FAR at SOME point. So it eventually happened and I reloaded the quicksave...and suffered a failure before the game would give me actual fucking control of the craft....fuck.

I tried again and again, same result, cockpit detached and spinning out of control at upwards of 300m/s directly towards the ground...so eventually I said "fuck it, I'll just tank the cost and rep, sorry Calsen"
But when I threw him out of the cockpit...CALSEN SURVIVED! I was so happy I planted a flag reading "FUCK YOU GRAVITY! I WIN ANYWAY"

And that is how Calsen Kerman became the most eligible bachelor on Kerbin.
(Note from Calsen: "I don't always jump out of hypersonic aircraft, but when I do, I live")

Indeed, I do this.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: September 10, 2014, 04:14:06 pm »

I just bought the game yesterday and was wondering if anyone else plays in career mode and if they found ways to not waste the entire value of detachable stages. I tried giving them parachutes so they'll land safely after I detach them, but they just seem to vanish after I get a certain distance away and wont show up in the debris section when looking for crafts/debris I can recover.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: September 10, 2014, 04:42:42 pm »

don't have many parts, so have to improvise to squeeze some range out of the very limited funds that a cost*7 campaign allow
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: September 10, 2014, 04:47:51 pm »

You cant salvage those.  Exactly as you say, they reach a critical distance from your active craft and then are abstracted away and vanish.

There is a mod to recover detached parts.  It calculates how many parachutes you have on the piece vs the mass of the piece, and determines if it can land safely, or land with some damage, or be totally destroyed.  Gives you a refund based on this.

If you cant tell from the last couple pages of posts, most mods are currently unstable disasters.  I've never seen anyone post complaints about game crashes or odd bugs, and follow up with "and I'm running stock".  So I have not bothered with the parts recovery mod, the small fund recovery does not seem worth the associated risks.

It is pretty simple to stay in the black, even when you have to eat the cost of disposable boost stages.

Edit:  Case in point, look at LoSboccacc there.  He is multiplying his expenses *7 just for a challenge.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:49:36 pm by puke »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: September 10, 2014, 05:28:49 pm »

Stock way to recover stages is to bring them up in orbit with you, with their own probe core attached. Finish your mission then go to tracking station, take control of lift stage in parking orbit and deorbit it

Edit: tutorial by manley https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DyY3Y5G9E
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:31:09 pm by LoSboccacc »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:38 pm »

Is that really worthwhile though?  Most of the cost of the boost stages are the fuel, not the parts.  At least, on my rockets this is true.

So to pack enough fuel to lift the entire thing into orbit without jettisoning stages on the way, I think this would raise the cost beyond what you would recover by landing the parts?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:44 pm »

Start becoming worthwhile with larger engines. Solid fuel booster are dirt cheap but large liquid stacks do add up costs.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: September 11, 2014, 06:00:52 am »

WOH

Did you guys hear 'bout these new B9 Aerospace internals? They no longer suck, in fact, they're awesome and entire flights can be flown in them with your HUD off. There's so many flight computers and other doodads in every one that can show a better navball, cameras, so the visibility isn't crap anymore, landing assistants and everything. Also sound effects.

There's new internals
So many screens and gadgets
I have shit myself

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: September 11, 2014, 06:08:13 am »

If you think they are nice than look for the ALCOR pod.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:36 am »

Ah, Thermal Turbojets...you are so fun, yet so explodey.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 848