Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist Magma Prize  (Read 1365 times)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
Urist Magma Prize
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:41:30 pm »

like the series of nobel prizes, but dwarfy. nominations now open for the following categories:

Badassery: given to the most badass dwarf
Dwarfishness: given to the most dwarf non-dwarf
Magmaneering: best use of magma
Dwarfeneering: best overall working construction
Dwarf-art: best single useless artifact/engraving/sculpture
Dwarfitecture: best useless, but aesthetically pleasing construction
Dwarf-warfare: given to a dwarf that executed a masterful battleplan
Dwarfortress: best fortress-both with dwarfitecture and dwarfeneering
Dwarf-war-crafting: best artifact of armor/weapon variety
Bastion-ary: best fortress defenses(little/no use of military, siege buildings allowed and encouraged)

feel free to add categories, but if you nominate someone, please give reasons/references

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Magma Prize
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:22:54 pm »

Good idea; this should be interesting.

Dwarfishness obviously goes to Cacame. That category is already closed.

I'm nominating Rimslaughters for Bastion-ary. Reasons should be obvious from even glancing over its topic.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:57:18 pm »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:14:05 am »

There's a lot of overlap here. I'd say never mind having dwarfortress, dwarfitecture, dwarfineering and bastionary. Simplify that to just dwarfitecture and bastionary and we've got all bases covered.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:11 am »

Good idea; this should be interesting.

Dwarfishness obviously goes to Cacame. That category is already closed.

I'm nominating Rimslaughters for Bastion-ary. Reasons should be obvious from even glancing over its topic.

I dunno.  There was one elf who single handedly repelled an invasion, killing and eating hundreds.  Then he starved to death that very season.  That's pretty dwarfy (except the eating sentient beings).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »

...killing and eating hundreds.  Then he starved to death that very season.  That's pretty dwarfy (except the eating sentient beings).

Wat. That sounds like a pretty filling meal. Do you have a link, perchance? I may have to look into this elf.

And using sentient beings for cruel things, including eating them, has been classified as fairly dwarfy.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:08 pm »

Apart form the fact that its an elf....
Desu

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:10 am »

And using sentient beings for cruel things, including eating them, has been classified as fairly dwarfy.

Actually, devouring enemies is very elfy, not dwarfy. Dwarven ethics don't tolerate devouring enemy warriors - elven ethics do.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:34:25 pm »

I like this idea a lot.  I think it could be fun to do voting at the end of every major release cycle, for excellence in dwarfening during the previous "age."  Alternatively, annual or bi-annual voting.  But that way there can be some new stuff in with all the great old forts.  There could be several "laureates" for each category, and one winner.

I also wouldn't limit it to just Fortress mode (which I would separate from Legends).  Not only should some Adventurers get love, but the programmers of the utilities we all take for granted deserve a little extra mention too.  Here are some of the categories I would use:

Fortress mode
Mason's Award - excellence in above-ground fortressing (the Flarechannels Prize)
Miner's Award - excellence in below-ground fortressing (the Undergrotto Prize)
Mechanic's Award - excellence in complicated feats of engineering (or computing)
Siege Engineer's Award - excellence in trapmaking and otherwise murdering invaders
Stonecrafter's Award - excellence in stone sculpting, above or below ground
Architect's Award - excellence in aesthetic fortress beauty
Pump Operator's Award - most creative or effective use of magma
Alchemist's Award - greatest contribution to Dwarven science
Butcher's Award - to the fortress exhibiting the most callous disregard for life of any kind (this one makes me kind of nervous)
Woodcutter's Award - best handling of the Elven menace
Axe Lord's Award - greatest military, either individually or overall
King of the Dwarves - best or coolest overall dwarf of the era
-others that people think of-

and finally,
Mountainhome Award - best overall fortress of the era

Adventurer Awards - I don't know, I don't play this much.

Utilities
Could possibly give awards for: Increasing playability, Modding, Graphics, and general hacking, plus many others I'm sure.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:36:28 pm by jfsh »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 02:28:55 am »

Dwarf war-crafting goes either to Prideunited (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88327.0) or Trailmachines the Fellowship of Right (http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/)