Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floors make me mad.  (Read 2526 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floors make me mad.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:39:54 pm »

Everything except farms, mass storage, pastures and giant labor-free tree farms close to the surface are in stone. I can't fathom why anyone builds their stuff in soil when there is all that perfectly good stone down there.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »

So, what does it look like when red green colorblind?  I'm not familiar with how color blindness works.
Like a nightmare. I can't really describe it to a non color blind. Think of trying to describe color to a blind person. Sort of the same idea.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »

Uniform coloration, easy digging, and free farmland.  Build a farm plot in your dining hall, it's cool!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 12:22:40 am »

If you hold shift while selecting a building material DF will make the entire set of constructions out of the selected material, assuming you have enough.  Also you could try paving over soil areas with roads or farmplots.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 05:00:23 am »

So, what does it look like when red green colorblind?  I'm not familiar with how color blindness works.
Like a nightmare. I can't really describe it to a non color blind. Think of trying to describe color to a blind person. Sort of the same idea.
QFT.  Describing what we see just doesn't do it justice.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 07:31:17 am »

Amen.

It looks a bit like blood stained floors outside of a battlefield. Except all of the time.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:23 am »

Once you hit caverns theres no way to avoid your entire fortress turning into a hippie dream with all kinds of stupid colours and shubs everywhere, if you dont FLOOR out every room. That however means you won't get the occasional risk-free wood mushrooms, but it looks tidy. THe problem is that its such a ROYAL pain in the ass to designate floors, don't even get me started on scrolling down to use the right material.

Here's something that works and is instant / resource free, plus lets you keep those squares with saplings for "emergency wood":

- cover all empty squares with stockpiles set to accept NOTHING.

They will now all look the same.

If you ever need wood, some of the tiles will grow trees, which will never grow bigger than saplings unless you delete the fake "stockpiles". When the stockpiles are deleted, the trees will "pop" to fully-grown in an instant.

Presto - the best of both worlds.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 12:11:58 pm »

Amen.

It looks a bit like blood stained floors outside of a battlefield. Except all of the time.
And only the dead have seen the end of the battle.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:47:03 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 12:34:47 pm »

I took a screen shot of a underground level covered in cave fauna, then changed the shot to greyscale. I can symphathize with Zaphod. You could us DFliquids to create obsidian floors, if you are that desperate
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »

I can see in colors just not all. I have a deficiency in red and green color receptors.
I only play legends mode

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »

If you have some spare idle dwarves, designate some dirt roads on the offending growth.

If you have a lot of nooks and crannies, making road designation impractical, then consider: Bushes are simply unpicked foodstock for your plant gatherers. Trees- well, you can't ever have too much wood, can you? All the grass is viable food for your grazing animals (as of now; that will change eventually).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:34 am »

So, the color cyan overall must look... odd, then? Or is it something else?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 04:41:49 am »

So, the color cyan overall must look... odd, then? Or is it something else?

Cyan's just white. Maybe a little grayer, but this colorblind dfer could never tell the difference between cyan and white.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 05:24:32 am »

There are different color pairs and different strengths of color blindness.  Not everyone is red/green, and very few people see in black and white only..
It's not even that red and green look the same - traffic lights for instance are clearly different colors.  It's more that some shades of color are indistinguishable from other shades. I have problems telling if dark green is actually dark brown or not, and light pink/cyan looks too similar to grey.

On topic, there is a reason dwarves don't build their homes in dirt - because they don't want to be mistaken for hobbits!!
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:02 am »

Me, I basically see in red, blue, green, yellow, white, black, orange, and purple (which just looks like darker blue). All colors not among those, and all shades of these colors, can go to hell, as I just cannot discern them.
Pages: 1 [2]