Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Optometry...  (Read 15253 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Optometry...
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »

I remember someone saying dwarves who'd lost their fat were nearly impervious to heat.  Could you manipulate syndromes this way to have a surgeon remove all that unnecessary fat from a few lucky cadets?
At last, she is done.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »

Dwarven liposuction? Actually, that would be useful since dwarves always get really, really fat in my forts.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »

couldnt you mod the raws so male dorfs cant see?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:39 pm »

This solution would not be very dwarven, were it possible, and otherwise the answer is 'no'. By this logic I am 100% sure that 0% of what I have just said has helped to answer your question. Sorry.

In all seriousness, a solution like this would be glaringly obvious. It might have been among the first things he has tried.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:05:13 pm by Flandre »

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »

This solution would not be very dwarven, were it possible, and otherwise the answer is 'no'. By this logic I am 100% sure that 0% of what I have just said has helped to answer your question. Sorry.

In all seriousness, a solution like this would be glaringly obvious. It might have been among the first things he has tried.
[BODY:HUMANOID:0EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

im trying that, i mean if it works it means ALL dorfs are blind. theres only one way to know, a terrifying biome.

It would appear that I have succeeded. All my dorfs were killed by zombie horses, none tried to even run.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:21:21 pm by zehive »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 04:30:00 am »

Could you manipulate syndromes this way to have a surgeon remove all that unnecessary fat from a few lucky cadets?

So... male elves destroy the eyes and cause pain, while female elves rot the fat and paralyze for some time?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 06:07:13 am »

In Runesmith, there are vision flags when you select a dwarf ranging from good to missing. I don't know if you specifically want their eyes plucked out, but checking the missing flag ought to make them blind.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:27 am »

Everything about that successful operation was astounding.  Someone needs to make a comic about the movement from testing forts to successful eye surgery.  From the "Dwarf cancels ‼Science‼: Interrupted by Dragon" to "The stray elf has exploded!" to plummeting elves onto unwary soldiers and the accompanying clumsy woodcutter with poor spatial sense, culminating ultimately in the statue of darkness.  That, my friend, was astounding.  I cannot put into words the amount of awe and majesty that you have so casually lain down upon us.  And that should mean a lot, as I write fairly well and know many words.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »

[BODY:HUMANOID:0EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

[....]

It would appear that I have succeeded.
You were joking, right?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 01:52:02 pm »

I'd assume it is possible to mod out eyesight or find a much easier way of distributing the syndrome , But I find the the awkward method I'm using leaves the game more balanced and gives me wonderful opportunities for weaponising elves.(i'm now considering an orbital elf canon that will rain squishy whining disease ridden destruction on marauding groups of goblins)

I'm liking the dwarven liposuction Idea , very curious to see how survivable it is especially since I've been getting some pretty good doctors recently.

I'm also liking the comic Idea, I may just blow the dust off my drafting table...
@Girlinhat   yes, your lack of kind words means very much  ;D
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »

[....]

It would appear that I have succeeded.
You were joking, right?
i haven't slept in a couple days, leave me alone  ;)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »

I wish i could do this to just 10 or so dwarves. I really want a squad of lightnings D:
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2011, 03:37:49 pm »

Blinding your loyal citizens brutally just because the sighted variety runs away from goblins. I approve.

So sig'd. Even if I am a few pages too late.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:39:53 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »

EDIT: Whoops... Double Post by forum error. >_>
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »

"'ey Urist, are them Elves lookin' a little... weird?" Duran asked.
"That's rhetorical, innit?" Urist scoffer.
"Yeh, but... that one's vomiting fire." Duran stroked his beard.
Urist decided that this was indeed a little weird, and looked up from the wagon to look at the elves.  Of the several domestic slaves that had been brought along, one of them had begun screaming endlessly, his shrieks echoing off the mountain sides until it was strangled off by the thick fire pouring out of his mouth.  Urist just sort of watched as the next elf, then the next two, and the next five began spewing liquid fire out of their mouths and eyes, melted flesh and bone sloshing to the ground.
"Well, that..." Urist was interrupted as the first elf suddenly erupted into a blaze, exploding outwards in a burst of blood and fire.  This triggered the others, and in an instant the whole line of slaves had exploded one after another into an enormous bloody bonfire.
"What is this shit?!" Odom shouted from nearby, grasping at his head as he stared in shock.
"Run!" Urist shouted, "Run for the cave!"
"What about Odom?" Duran asked.
"Leave him!" Urist shouted over his shoulder, already sprinting towards the cave as well as a dwarf could sprint.  Duran was right behind him, ushered on by Odom's screams as the grass under his feet caught fire.  He made it to the cave, peering out to see charred elf limbs scattered around the burned wagon and the corpses of five other dwarves.  Two years worth of food and drink, and the raw materials to found a fort, up in a blaze of elf flame!
"This is your fault!" Urist shouted.
"My fault?!" Duran shouted, "It's you who left Odom out there to burn!"
"Don't you go accusing me of anythin' now..." Urist narrowed his eyes, gripping his copper battle axe.
"Yeh?  Well maybe I'm accusin' you anyways!" Duran continued shouting.
"That's it!" Urist declared, closing the few steps between them as his axe rose...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5