Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Optometry...  (Read 15254 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Optometry...
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »

Well, if you blind all the dwarves, civilians won't run away from invaders until they get close enough to hurt them. Military won't engage targets automatically unless given a specific order or they get really close. Marksdwarves are useless, firing in random directions. On second thought, marksdwarves are useless and buggy anyways.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »

...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
May I sig this? it describes so much of my modding experience.

Edit:
No, the sensible thing to do would be to mod males to not have eyes in the first place. The beard should more then compensate.

...Grasping beards?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »

I doubt it, else, everyone's flesh would melt or rot the instant they use forgotten beast soap or eat forgotten beast tallow roast.  ;)
You could, of course, try giving cat soap a syndrome. For irony, make it a vomit-inducing syndrome so that they have to clean themselves more.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:06 pm »

...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Edit:
No, the sensible thing to do would be to mod males to not have eyes in the first place. The beard should more then compensate.

...Grasping beards?
No, the joke is that dwarven beards act something like the antenna of insects which is what gives them the ability to navigate in unlit tunnels.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:02 pm »

elf entry in standard creature and common domestic
This sounds like that "duplicate raws" thing that makes fun glitches.

I'll admit I'm not certain on that; I'm not too clear on what does and does not qualify as duplicate in DF's raw system.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:57 pm »

as long as the actual [CREATURE:] tag is different you should be good. for example [CREATURE:ELF] and [CREATURE:ELF1] are not the same even if everything else is identical.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:14 am »

Edit:

Be my guest.

and I did consider just modding out the eyes about half way through the last run of testing, laughed out loud at my stupidity for not thinking of that in the first place, then continued, sure in the knowledge that I was doing the right thing.

The Dwarven Beard is the exact reason I'm giving females immunity, they are disabled enough as it is....

I doubt it, else, everyone's flesh would melt or rot the instant they use forgotten beast soap or eat forgotten beast tallow roast.  ;)
You could, of course, try giving cat soap a syndrome. For irony, make it a vomit-inducing syndrome so that they have to clean themselves more.

I'm now wishing that the source of vomit could be localised...dwarfs running around vomiting out of their eyes appeals...

Now going to remove one set of raws and removing [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID] as I'm told that this may be a problem...
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »

no one wanted to respond to the "give the sheep syphilis and embark with it" comment? that was the funniest part of this thread i think

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:14 pm »

SUCCESS!!!  8) (i wish i could give this emotocon a white stick)

patient zero 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dropped the elves from a cliff through a skylight above a 3/7 pond across my entrance corridor. I noticed that if elves survived they would become infected by their own blood.(my next bout of modding evolved elf blood causing extreme pain in the area that it contacts a body part, I also modded elves to excrete elf blood from every part of their bodies which can be used for some pretty nifty disease based fortress defence traps)

This one started annoying me with it's blind meanderings and consent whining  so I made him into soap to help treat my potential siege engineers.
I forgot to embark with a surgeon so I drafted the next best thing...a clumsy woodcutter with a questionable spatial sense...who performs eye surgery with a copper battle axe...

Ironically the last thing that patient zero did before his surgery was this rather prophetic statue which now decorates the field hospital.
(he also did a statue of a dwarf embracing some alpacas but I couldn't work out the symbolism)

The surgery was going quite well, his eyes were being hacked out quite efficiently

but sadly he and all the other infected dwarfs died of dehydration when all the water on my map froze. I'm going to start a proper fort and do some science on blindness and bio-weapons soon. Thanks to all of you who contributed advice and support !
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

sk128234

• Bay Watcher
  • King Charles is dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 03:46:21 pm »

SUCCESS!!!  8) (i wish i could give this emotocon a white stick)

patient zero 

I dropped the elves from a cliff through a skylight above a 3/7 pond across my entrance corridor. I noticed that if elves survived they would become infected by their own blood.(my next bout of modding evolved elf blood causing extreme pain in the area that it contacts a body part, I also modded elves to excrete elf blood from every part of their bodies which can be used for some pretty nifty disease based fortress defence traps)

This one started annoying me with it's blind meanderings and consent whining  so I made him into soap to help treat my potential siege engineers.
I forgot to embark with a surgeon so I drafted the next best thing...a clumsy woodcutter with a questionable spatial sense...who performs eye surgery with a copper battle axe...

Ironically the last thing that patient zero did before his surgery was this rather prophetic statue which now decorates the field hospital.
(he also did a statue of a dwarf embracing some alpacas but I couldn't work out the symbolism)

The surgery was going quite well, his eyes were being hacked out quite efficiently

but sadly he and all the other infected dwarfs died of dehydration when all the water on my map froze. I'm going to start a proper fort and do some science on blindness and bio-weapons soon. Thanks to all of you who contributed advice and support !

That's...that's beautiful.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 05:35:21 am »

Beautiful... And using elves as bio-weapons... Words can not begin to explain...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 11:47:24 am »

Man.  This is brilliant.  Does the syndrome work quickly enough to blind invaders right away?
At last, she is done.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 12:03:51 pm »

Man.  This is brilliant.  Does the syndrome work quickly enough to blind invaders right away?

yep, It now impairs vision on contact, the rotting and swelling is mainly for lulz. The extreme pain seems to be the most useful as it works on any part of the body that contacts the the blood, usually causes fainting etc I've seen it take down a dragon . I also forgot about it when i embarked as an elven adventurer who had an instant ebola like reaction.

I'm now working on a tank filled with bleeding elves which won't need to eat, drink or get infections , it will be filled by a brook and will empty into the entrance hall/invader reception area ...hopefully the water will carry the blood with it.

I'll post the raws if anyone wants to give it a whorl.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 01:27:15 pm »

This is heinous! But can you beat the bay12 high score?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »

Maybe not the high score for evil/cruelty/depravity, but possibly the high score for most dwarfy (inefficient and unnecessary) way to produce the most valuable siege operators.

I would have gone with the workshop and custom reaction creating an object that violently explodes into toxic eye-poison method, and assigned only those dwarves you wanted to use as siege operators to use it, or have the reaction train only siege operating, which is thus restricted to dwarves with that labor enabled, and trains them at the same time. This would save the rest of the population. I'd use it on my masons too, to prevent them cancelling necessary constructions.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5