Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Optometry...  (Read 15255 times)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Optometry...
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:22:12 am »

Is there a reliable way to remove dwarfs' eyes? I've been messing about with upright spikes and various levels of armour but the dwarf's seem to either come out completely unscathed or dead. Is there any set of armour that protects the head but not the face?

I'm trying to make a squad of blind siege operators for a catapult based execution system as the sighted variety seem to be quite skittish around goblins... 
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Optometry...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:31:52 am »

i think DFMode might let you jump into the body of one of your dwarves who could proceed to blind the others.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:40:09 am »

That will most likely create a loyalty cascade. Although jumping in the body of a goblin pow might work.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:45:23 am »

Mod in something that has a syndrome that rots out the targets eyes, or for less chance of death permanently cause "impaired function" of the eyes.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:54:43 am »

Caps have less coverage than Helms, but I'm not sure if the game recognizes coverage in terms of actual position on the head.

The most reliable way to do it that I can think of is modding a syndrome that causes localized eye rot to some benign animals.  If you don't want to mod, you could collect forgotten beasts and play roulette with their deadly blood until you get one with the desired syndrome, however there's a chance that none of beasts generated in your world would produce the desired effects, since it's random.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:12:02 am »

Blinding your loyal citizens brutally just because the sighted variety runs away from goblins. I approve.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:17:16 am »

I guess I'll finally have to get around to compiling DFHack....But it also sounds fun to have everyone who drinks Swamp Whiskey have their optic nerves rot out....

And I love the idea of several quite literally Blind Drunk Hillbillies operating siege equipment...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:31:58 am by Lezard »
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:26:46 am »

Well ingested syndromes aren't in just yet. Only inhaled, contact and injected ones.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:48 am »

hmmmm so I could try the vapours that the booze emits when boiling? either that or mod it so sheep have syphilis and embark with one in a cage...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:26 am »

Syndromes are your best bet. I had a FB made of snow whose sole syndrome was temporary (several months) blindness. The two guys who killed it got blind. Then children. Then a good third of the fort. Then...

Mod, say, cats to have such a syndrome in their blood. When one of them inevitably gets killed in a remotely messy way, try and infect water with its blood, and have everyone bathe in it. Still water can be eerily effective at spreading diseases.
Other than modding, the only reliable way is indeed FB roulette, and that strategy is even less reliable than your only diagnostician right after an ambush.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:55 am »

... is even less reliable than your only diagnostician right after an ambush.

That's pretty bloody unreliable!!!  :)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 10:50:20 am »

This is quickly going downhill into another merfolk-level thread.  I love it.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 11:56:49 am »

When I first read this, I thought it was going to be about restoring sight; this is better.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 01:22:11 pm »

When one of them inevitably gets killed in a remotely messy way...

You mean, say, dropping a kitten from 30z-levels up into the middle of your meeting hall or your primary source of water?

Wait, if one mods cats to have the syndrome, does cat soap have it? I presume not, but it would be nice if it would. Controlled torture would easily blind anyone you wanted :D

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 01:28:40 pm »

I doubt it, else, everyone's flesh would melt or rot the instant they use forgotten beast soap or eat forgotten beast tallow roast.  ;)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5