Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spies  (Read 1358 times)

Penkovskiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spies
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:49:35 am »

I posted about this game a while ago, its probably been forgotten.

The game was developed using BYOND, but is now being redone in C# using the XNA framework. Because of that, I am hosting the game made with the BYOND system until my server expires (could be a few days). In the mean time I figured I'd at least post a small introduction to the game.

It's in very early stages, and while there is not much to do in the game, it can be pretty fun for a short time if you know what your doing.

Some screenshots:

----------------------
Left click to interact with things using your left hand.
Right click to interact with things using your right hand.

Goal: Pick up/buy gadgets from your vendor and assassinate enemies. Take their ID, bring it to your main office and say 'kill'.

The Keys:
A attempts to use antidotes, for quick relief.
S will slip into the shadows.
G will try to grab an enemy. You must face their back.
H toggles a help file.

If you want to learn more about game-play, go here, or for a more simple version read on.

To play, extract this file http://www.penkovskiy.com/spies_server_connect.zip , and run spies_server_connect.exe.
(The .exe will run byond.exe, this is safe)
If you're asked to login with a 'key' onto byond, you can use the user-name: Guest.

--------------
I know there isn't much in the game, but if you know about the systems that exist it can be very fun for a short time, here are some secrets.

- Always have a poison antidote in your pocket, poison snipers are very effective. Use the 'A' macro and it will cure you of all poison. Has 5 uses.

- There are ventilation systems to sneak in/out/through a base.

- There are rooftops to snipe from.

- Stand behind somebody and face their back, press 'G' and you will grab them. You have approx. 2-3 seconds to snap their neck by clicking the new 'grab' button that appears on one of your hand slots, otherwise they can escape by trying to move.

- You can pull/hide dead bodies by facing them and using the pull command. Bump into the body to release.

- Use 'S' and shadows to effectively slip into the shadows. Combine this with tranq. darts for long-range stunning.

- Short range stunning exist in screwdrivers and crowbars. Use to get away or in combination with snapping neck.

- Knifes disorient the target, greatly inhibiting their ability to walk.

- To get credit for a kill, and money, you must take the enemy's ID card. Bring it to your front desk of your agency, and 'say "kill" ' using the say command. You can also put this ID card in your ID slot, and gain access to their base and take on their name.

- Smokebombs are very effective when used correctly. Click a turf to throw the smokebomb when in hand, or click the smokebomb in your hand slot to make the smoke follow you around. You will see through the smoke but enemies will not.

Here is an example of seeing through the smoke:

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spies
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:23 am »

Cool! So its like a TDM SS13 or something?

Might try it out when I'm back home...

Penkovskiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:00:27 am »

Hopefully there will be a few players when you join, bring a few friends.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:22:30 am »

I like stealth games, might as well give this one a shot.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Penkovskiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:30:45 am »

Let me know if your coming in, and if you can even get in. I'll probably be on for another hour, I'll show you around.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:57:54 am »

Ah sorry, I can't now. I'm at work. Maybe later...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:15:28 am »

I'm reasonably certain I know the guy who made this. Without looking, I'd say it's Justin Knight. If so, It's definitely worth checking out, which I may do shortly.

EDIT: After some examination, it doesn't seem to be by Justin, which is odd, because the theme and art style are very reminiscent of one of his other games.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:28:25 am by Fanofgaming »
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Penkovskiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:21:04 am »

Who is this justin? I'd like to see his work

Zero Ziat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:34 pm »

I'm reasonably certain I know the guy who made this. Without looking, I'd say it's Justin Knight. If so, It's definitely worth checking out, which I may do shortly.

EDIT: After some examination, it doesn't seem to be by Justin, which is odd, because the theme and art style are very reminiscent of one of his other games.

Is Justin that guy that made Deadly Waters?

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:13:28 pm »

Is Justin that guy that made Deadly Waters?
Yes, that's him. I'd consider him a pal of mine. Dude knows how to make a decent game, though Deadly Waters never really got the exposure that it deserved, IMO.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:37:03 pm »

Kinda fighting the interface right now, but the actual gameplay I can glean from running around like an idiot has potential.
This is kinda what I wish SS13 was like
Thank you based dwarf.

Penkovskiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 07:09:04 pm »

Did you get to play it with anybody? Unfortunately there is not much to do alone, everybody logs in and sees that, they log out. If I could get 5 - 10 players playing at a time it can get pretty fun.

I've heard from several people it sucked, its too complicated, to people who ended up playing the game better than me.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:46 pm »

I tried it before and found the game lackluster. It does have some potential though. Right now it's just run around like an idiot hoping to tranquilize the other guy and snap his neck, with no real alternatives since poison is instantly removed by antidotes.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:38 pm »

Oh gawd, I go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back with Justin.

Admittedly I was immature back then, I was like 12.