Poll

Do you?

Yes
- 78 (51.3%)
No
- 74 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do you use graphics sets?  (Read 3209 times)

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use graphics sets?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 04:40:54 am »

I use Ironhand Tileset, switched to phoebus for a while but i dont like the banging colors in it... so ironhand pretty much does the job for me, it looks nice and clean.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »

I prefer graphic tilesets, they're easier to understand and more imporantly, they are quadratic and don't stretch the graphics in the vertical as the ASCII characters do.

Why is that more important to you?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 11:57:44 pm »

I prefer graphic tilesets, they're easier to understand and more imporantly, they are quadratic and don't stretch the graphics in the vertical as the ASCII characters do.

It makes shapes look weird. For example, circles look great with the right tile set, but just look weird with ASCII. It can also give an overall cleaner look.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 12:12:44 am »

I'm voting yes. Sometimes I play without a tileset, sometimes I play with a tileset.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 01:27:48 am »

It makes shapes look weird. For example, circles look great with the right tile set, but just look weird with ASCII. It can also give an overall cleaner look.

I've been using CLI applications all my life, I guess I've got an intuitive scaling system in my brain that measures the dimensions right.

And it's not ASCII, it's CP437.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:30:57 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 06:02:07 am »

Well, I prefer the term "ANSI-like", which I acknowledge is not exactly accurately named, but reflects the Codepage 437 heritage and the dynamic/colourful nature of the display.  I used to hand-code some (simple, and not particularly good[1]) ANSI movies back at Uni on the old terminals we had then, and later on messed about a bit with them in a later job when I came back across it (and ANSI.SYS for the DOS machines) when I was actually supposed to be setting up printer control headers to prepend to various text files to make the old dot matrix printers change resolution/page dimensions/etc for various reports.  (No, I didn't need/use ANSI with the printers, but I think it was a useful diversion that most of the time looked like I was working on what I should have been. :) )

So, anyway, thus my tendency to talk about ANSI-like.  Or "ANSII-like" if I don't stop my fingers doubling up that 'I', which is so easily done, given the spelling of ASCII and the mechanics the bouncing up off of the shift key seemingly doing something to the nervous system in the other half of my body on such occasions!

[1] Nothing like the entire Star Wars trilogy (as was) that I once saw...  Although I suspect they used something like TheDraw, because the man-hours otherwise needed would have been huge.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 06:45:24 am »

No. Between being "how Toady intended it" or something like that an the fact that I'm so used to ASCII that I can varely make heads or tails of graphics...I just don't like them much.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 09:15:35 am »

Well, I prefer the term "ANSI-like", which I acknowledge is not exactly accurately named, but reflects the Codepage 437 heritage and the dynamic/colourful nature of the display.  I used to hand-code some (simple, and not particularly good[1]) ANSI movies back at Uni on the old terminals we had then, and later on messed about a bit with them in a later job when I came back across it (and ANSI.SYS for the DOS machines) when I was actually supposed to be setting up printer control headers to prepend to various text files to make the old dot matrix printers change resolution/page dimensions/etc for various reports.  (No, I didn't need/use ANSI with the printers, but I think it was a useful diversion that most of the time looked like I was working on what I should have been. :) )

So, anyway, thus my tendency to talk about ANSI-like.  Or "ANSII-like" if I don't stop my fingers doubling up that 'I', which is so easily done, given the spelling of ASCII and the mechanics the bouncing up off of the shift key seemingly doing something to the nervous system in the other half of my body on such occasions!

[1] Nothing like the entire Star Wars trilogy (as was) that I once saw...  Although I suspect they used something like TheDraw, because the man-hours otherwise needed would have been huge.

I'm just surprised at how many people use the word "ASCII" without meaning the "American Standard Code for Information Interchange". It's like calling all woodwind instruments saxophones.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:12 pm »

I'm just surprised at how many people use the word "ASCII" without meaning the "American Standard Code for Information Interchange". It's like calling all woodwind instruments saxophones.

Except for the fact that the general populace would be much more aware of that generalization than the ASCII one.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 12:28:55 am »

Except for the fact that the general populace would be much more aware of that generalization than the ASCII one.

People should know their terminology, or stick to words they know. It wouldn't be such a big deal otherwise, but ASCII is a very specific technical term and misuse of it is incorrect at best and extremely confusing at worst.

On slightly related news, a friend of mine refers to ALL text-only interfaces as "Roguelikes"...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:54:03 am by Kay12 »

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 03:04:15 pm »

I have never used graphics packs. I learned to play DF 'the hard way' and I don't see the need in learning a different (and less useful) interface.

1. Graphics packs delay being able to play new updates and are generally extra effort to set up after each update.

2. Graphics packs provide the same information in a less clear way (imo). Once you can read the text-based interface it is simpler and clearer to just use that rather than trying to tell whether the picture of the dwarf is holding a sword or a fishing rod, or whether that's an elf or a goblin.

3. Real Dwarfs are slightly masochistic.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.
Pages: 1 2 [3]