Poll

Do you?

Yes
- 78 (51.3%)
No
- 74 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you use graphics sets?  (Read 3213 times)

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use graphics sets?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

Can I get a tileset where the dwarves are still cute little circles and the rocks are still cute little ovals?
You could take the icons from a tileset you like and put them into a graphics tileset you like.

I dig mostly characters.  Using Bisasam's set currently.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 07:48:19 am »

i've played the game vanilla ever since i first got it. armok help me.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:03 am »

I use (and have since 2d) the Herbdog / Guybrush ascii tiles.  They look really nice and give a good chisled stone feel without cluttering up or losing any of the charm of the ascii art in the game: varied ground tiles and clever foilage changes and surf and things.

Then I use graphical creature sets on top of that.  I used the Dystopian Rhetoric / Deep Quantas creatures (with some sort of add on animal pack compilation) for a long time, but it was never updated to the new RAW format so I have switched over to the Thirin / Beefmo creatures which are up to date, compatable with the new version, and much better looking IMO.

Its sort of a shame about the Thirin / Beefmo stuff, it isnt listed on the wiki so I dont think it gets much visibility or widespread use.

I guess I must have a thing for collaborative efforts, everything I just listed is authored by multiple people (or actually, they are all the case of one person updating and revising anothers original thing)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 11:37:01 am »

Graphics sets can convey more information visually about dwarf professions.

Also, I like the ones with diagonal wall corners, it better conveys the fact that dwarves can move through corners.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 11:45:21 am »

I used to use mayday's set applied to the mac releases until I encountered a pretty consistent crash (happened whenever I went to make an aimed attack). I just settled with the ascii and now I'm kind of fond of it.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »

I started with Phoebus via the LNP, then moved to Ironhand. I'm not sure I'd have started playing DF without them. Now, however, I use my own ascii tilesets.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »

I use tilesets.  They are so pretty I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't!

I originally used mayday's set, but these days I'm lazy and so I use the lazy newb pack and whatever is default for it.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

k96spy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 03:22:46 pm »

I voted yes on the tilesets, mainly because that's what I learned to play DF with.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 03:40:44 pm »

I don't use them (the closest I've gone is experimenting with the different resolution/aspect-ratio versions of the default ANSI-like character set, but I change very little (a few worldgen params (larger gaps between layers), Seasonal saves/backup, water levels as numbers, no music (shame!) and no intro (even more shame!)) and put absolutely no thought into trying out 'graphical' tilesets, as opposed to the 'non-graphical' ANSI-like.

Except... I did see a tileset in a screenshot recently that I like the look of.  The stylised nordic-runish standard letters weren't my thing (though they were well executed) but the walls tiles in particular, were much the same as the "double-rail table border" ones of the default, but with diagonals across 'elbows'.  Like (although not particularly like, because of the limitations of the ASCII that I'm using in these expansions) the right hand item of the following two traditional symbols represented on the left, for up/right bend and up-down/right spur pieces, respectively.  (If you can't tell what they're supposed to be!)

Code: [Select]
||    \\
|_=    \

||    |\
| =   |
||    |/

Anyway, although the above doesn't do them justice, I liked their way of dealing with corners.  (Would also work well with a staggered diagonal wall, I suppose...  Hmm....)

If I were to change, I'd either hunt down that set or plagiarise my own personal wall-set with the same idea in mind.  But I don't see me doing that, traditionalist and stick-in-the-damp-silty-clay-loam person that I am.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:55 am »

Yep, Ironhand's.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 12:59:59 am »

I made/use one for the Dwarves and the other major races, but everything else I leave in the original format.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 01:16:20 am »

I play about half and half.  I can't seem to get into it without a graphics set, if only because I always forget what color means what, and is that guy blinking because he's legendary or blinking in and out with something underneath him, etc.  But when new versions were coming out religiously I got tired of updating everything, because I absolutely hate mayday's graphics and most of the sets that use different color schemes for dwarfs.  I like unity, dammit!  So whenever I get a fresh install I have to choose if I want to get into the game quickly, or if I want to bother making it look pretty first.  It usually swings by whether or not I feel like playing adventurer mode (I don't care about graphics in adventurer mode).

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:23 am »

I prefer graphic tilesets, they're easier to understand and more imporantly, they are quadratic and don't stretch the graphics in the vertical as the ASCII characters do.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 03:59:17 am »

I use the Mayday graphics set.  Its mixed with the Fortress Defence Mod.  Graphic sets below.  Supported for 0.31.25

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 04:03:23 am »

ASCII

*Cringe*

I'm happy with the CP437 interface. I do supplement it with Dwarf Therapist though.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 [2] 3