Poll

Do you?

Yes
- 78 (51.3%)
No
- 74 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you use graphics sets?  (Read 3205 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Do you use graphics sets?
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:58:30 am »

I'm surprised that we don't have a thread for this.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use graphics sets?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:23:56 am »

I like to

But currently I havn't found a good one for the new version.

So it is Yes AND No

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:25:57 am »

I prefer the simplicity of just characters, no graphics.  Plus I don't have to worry about barrels and bins replacing letters.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:26:18 am »

Pretty sure I've seen a topic about this before, but wuddeva'.

I use a graphics set and the pheobus tileset. My graphics set has lots of animals from mayday, though I've made my own graphics for some of the newer animals, and the graphics for the "civilized" species (dwarf, elf, human, kobold, goblin, and orc) are my own.

Ah what the heck, this is the sheet I use for my dwarves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:29:57 am by Flying Carcass »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:28:41 am »

Actually, one of these threads show up once a month. Then someone from one group starts insulting the other, then discussion from the previous thread gets rehashed and then the thread dies. Then, a month later a new thread shows up.

bay12 forumnites have the memory span of a fish.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:26 am »

I use one, and am partly unashamed, partly ashamed to do so. No matter how far I go in DF or how hardcore I get, I know I'll never be truly hardcore, and I accept that...

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:46:30 am »

I usually dont like the issues with graphic sets whenever I used them but I've been using Anikki tilesets that I modify a little myself, I really liked the 10x10 version but I've been using the 16x16 so I can use the Beefmo Unit graphics because I like those too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 12:35:08 pm »

I use one, and am partly unashamed, partly ashamed to do so. No matter how far I go in DF or how hardcore I get, I know I'll never be truly hardcore, and I accept that...

It is hardly Hardcore not to use a graphics set...

I see what you did there.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »

I voted no, I do use them sometimes. But lately only because Genesis has no updates ASCII version.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:40:16 pm »

Started off playing ASCII, then moved onto Ironhand after it had been out for a bit.

Both ASCII and graphics are good, and they both get the job done; I just prefer using a developed graphics set because it's easy to recognize uncommon creatures that show up (rather than freaking out over some vermin because I'm not familiar with what that color of q means).

I don't see why some people view using a graphics set as a deadly sin. Big freaking deal.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 01:47:29 pm »

I prefer ASCII because the cells/grids/blocks/whatever aren't totally filled up. They are 50% or so black and a  tile set is just chaotic compared to ascii imo. I do like ironhand though, especially when a siege comes. I think I'd prefer ASCII with Ironhand creatures except that it would probably look horrible.

No hate for tilesets from me :)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »

I don't, but I don't hash on people who do. I think sometimes people get caught up in the gameplay-over-graphics debates so much that they lose sight of the original arguement, which is that some developers focus on graphics at the expense of gameplay. There's nothing wrong with better graphics so long as it doesnt reduce gameplay, and tilesets don't.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 05:46:04 pm »

I prefer characters over graphical tiles. I find it cleaner and easier to read, especially when zoomed out and trying to process a lot of information simultaneously. I also think that Toady made excellent use of codepage 437 and that the cute little details (like rain, waves) get lost when using proper graphics.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »

I don't use graphic packs, although I used phoenix tileset for a long time and mayday looks awesome in screenshots.

Can I get a tileset where the dwarves are still cute little circles and the rocks are still cute little ovals?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »

Actually, one of these threads show up once a month. Then someone from one group starts insulting the other, then discussion from the previous thread gets rehashed and then the thread dies. Then, a month later a new thread shows up.

bay12 forumnites have the memory span of a fish.

That's hardly true! We have perfect memetic memory for things that happened a long time ago and those that are happening now. It's just the medium that we don't recall.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: [1] 2 3