Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcanos - How do?  (Read 872 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcanos - How do?
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:49:21 am »

What's the most efficient way to get magma out of a volcano? digging out the lines I need and then channelling from above for magma pipes but my current volcano is a peak about 4 z levels above everything else on the map. If I were to build a mass of stone floors around the top of the volcano could I build workshops up there?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanos - How do?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:14:39 am »

Basically: Whatever way works for you.  The rare times I enjoyed a volcano, I built huge scaffolding around one side, and used controlled low-flow channels to fill up a side-reservoir that housed the forges, magma traps, and really housed the rest of my fort.  I kind of had a castle glued to the side of the volcano.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:23:30 am »

I dig a largish chamber underneath where the forges will go, then get a useless dwarf to mine out the final part, then channel out a section for the forges.

It is probably not the best way to do it, but,
No deaths yet!

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:27:06 am »

Magma in its natural form is not pressurized, so you won't have to worry about it spilling froth several z levels high when you tap it in the lower regions. You might want to make your forges so that they keep out vermin like firesnakes since they can be dangerous, but this is usually an easy affair when you separate the magma you bring in from the natural running magma in the volcano.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:18:28 am »

Unless I plan to use the magma for something, I just build my forges over the mouth of the volcano if it's not too high. 20z levels above my general fort location does not count as too high.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:17:06 am »

I personally like digging until 1 square away from the magma, installing a magma-safe door, getting an agile miner to dig away the last square, and getting him to run away by assigning him a new job. The door should automatically shut, stopping all the magma. Then all you have to do is attach it to a lever, and magma is there any time you want it.
=Uncool-

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 10:12:17 am »

Wouldn't it be more fun to sacrifice a copper pickaxe novice cheesemaker?

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:43:06 am »

Wouldn't it be more fun to sacrifice a novice cheesemaker copper pickaxe?
Fixed it for you bro.

I personally like to smooth the path the magma will follow and engrave a fortification into the obsidian. I find that my engravers are faster than my miners for some reason.