Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DAMN IT ALL  (Read 3594 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
DAMN IT ALL
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:55:31 am »

Once again, my military squad all decked out in iron and trained for 4 years, was wiped out during my first siege on this fort. What. In. The. FUCK!!!! I thought I was doing great, then a pack of gobbos come and wipe out my military. Its Fun, sure, but it doesnt make a good story when early sieges are the only cause of death for my forts. From two highly trained squads to 5 swordsdwarfs, ive locked up the fort. About 10 to 15 civilian dwarves outside, though. Any tips to help keep all of my forts from dying like this would be appreciated. I am using vanilla 31.25. Also, I have had forts open up after a siege only to have another within half a month. Looks like im gonna have to go spartan and draft half of my pop.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DAMN IT ALL
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:09:05 am »

alt f4 works good

also feel free to stay locked up as goblins can get bored within half a year or so. dig a tree farm underground and kiss the sun goodbye for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:12:29 am by MrShovelFace »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:13:55 am »

I could do a hard shut down and reload a save, but thats not in the true spirit of rogulikes, I will consider that, though.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:18:19 am »

its also not the spirit to mass cage traps everywhere with GCS web on them but ..

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:33:52 am »

I just posted something that may or may not help your situation in this thread, but how exactly did you try and take on the siege?

Maybe by pinpointing what went wrong with your approach we could offer more specifics to help.
Maybe Armok was just hungry.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:57:02 am »

I had a soldier chasing down a deer for some quick leather for a back pack when he dodged into a murky pool and drowned. I drained the pool to get his body (and his stuff) and I had a bunch of civilians march out to grab it. Then, here comes the vile force of darkness. So I had my squad of 10 move into position and try to defend them. The gobbos got close so I then attacked them. I sent my squad of 8 to guard the main entrance. All of a sudden, i get dead dwarf spam, and see the carnage unfolding. I  waited till the last moment, and closed the gate. I lost 34 dorfs, total, and my legendary miner went insane from loss of a loved one. My squad of 10 had 2 iron spears, a iron hammer, and 7 iron short swords. They each had an iron shield, iron mail, and iron greaves. I think it may be lack of armor that caused the problem, as they were all at least adept swords dwarfs. My fort is now locked up tight, looks like its tower cap stuff from here on out.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:00:55 am »

Gauntlets, boots, helmet and greaves/mail leggings + breastplate/hauberk will definitely help the longevity of one's military. And that's not, from my understanding, the best-case equipment set for safety. Did you read through the combat reports to get a feel for which wounds are making the dwarves casualties?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:05:48 am »

Urist McUnderarmored: Oh armok my legs!!!  *falls down*    "unintelligable gobin smack talk"    *Headpike*          It went something like that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:08:44 am »

Helmet, breastplate, mail shirt, gauntlets, greaves, high/low boots depending on availability.  This is your required full plate mail.  Anything less, and you must consider that dwarf to be expendable.  ESPECIALLY the helm.  If you have 10 copper and 1 steel, make a steel helmet.  When a dwarf falls to pain or anything, every shot becomes a headshot.  Invest in the best helmets you can.

I never send a soldier out without a full plate suit.  I embark with bismuth bronze ores if I need to.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 03:12:47 am »

My fort is swimming in metal, but no flux stone. I just figured my dorfs would kill them fast enough to not be killed. Lesson learned, and i still have 68 dorfs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 03:29:16 am »

Also, you can have both caps AND helms, though I'm not sure if that increases effectiveness.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 03:47:12 am »

You can actually fit 3 mail shirts on them at once.  My current military is decked out in steel helmets, steel breastplates, 3 steel mail shirts each, steel gauntlets/highboots/grieves, shields and steel weapon of their choice.  They don't die easily.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 03:55:44 am »

Yes. Armor is important. I've even had a unarmed but fully armored dwarf winning in a fight against 2 goblin pikemen. Would have been awesome if he managed to kill them, but the rest of the squad (who were armed. This guy was waiting for his weapon to be forged) arrived and stole his kills.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 04:30:37 am »

I've got a question about the armor, in my last fortress I had a squad of 10 dwarves with the following suit:

High boots
Chain leggings
Chains shirt
Gauntlets
Helmet
and a sheep wool cloak.

That was all they were wearing during the fights. In the reports I read how the goblins would easily cut through the cloaks and wound them. That somewhat confused me since you would expect after teh cloak there would still be armor to get through, but that didn't happen. Is it possible that my cloak somehow made my dwarves less tough?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 04:49:58 am »

It's possible.  I've heard before that only one thing protects at a time.  If you have tissue paper over steel, then it's weak enough to sneeze through.  I'm not sure, this MAY have been in an older version.
Pages: [1] 2 3