Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic Mountain Megaprogect of DOOM: (or dear god I need Stonesense!!!)  (Read 2021 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile

Ok so recently I set out to find a new place for a Megaprogect...
I wanted to do something TRUELY Big, I needed to, say, found a Mountain and just CARVE A fortress into the side of it..
Well, I think I found my Mountain!!!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4646

This thing is EPIC in size over FIFTY Tiles tall at the very tip to the vallery floor.
Sure sure there ARE bigger mountains out there, but this one just SCREAMS "carve a fcken Fortress into the side of me Bitch!"
ONE Thing that might make it better..

I use a Freaking Mac and so I don't have Stonesense.  Anyone out there able to use the program to show this thing in it's true Epic Glory?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Try overseer, not sure if it runs on mac but it's an alternative.

If nothing else, toss the save onto dffd and let someone else post screenshots.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile

I am sure overseer doesnt work on macs, although i do remember using a mac visualiser like overseer. However, it was a while ago, and probably outdated.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know I kinda DID add a DFFD download for ya there  ;)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I'll see what I can do :)

EDIT: Stonesense cannot see more than 5 z levels or so and overseer freaks the hell out of my laptop so I can't help
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:07:17 am by Dutchling »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm I could have sworn they had a version of stonesense that could view Infin Levels?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yea they do, it's just tricky to do.   I'll see what I can get for ya, but depending on how large it is I might not be able to get the whole thing in one shot. I know I currently have a somewhat similar embark, and the mountain is too large to view in it's entirety. And full embark screenshot is currently borked.

By the by the key to increase viewed z-levels is the 2 key above the QWERTY.

*Warning Large images*

Unfortunate bug, stonesense didn't know what to think of your "Grass" so it defaulted to white.  I guess since this is a pretty big mountain you could think of it as snow (that's what I thought it was anyway until I noticed stonesense was coming up with a null materiel for the grass type and there was in fact no snow in sight.)

Spoiler: Shot of the farms (click to show/hide)

Thanks to Img.ie for free image hosting

Anything else you want a shot of?  I tried to get all the stuff that seemed unique, but I may have missed something.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:27:57 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Friggen sweet :D
Only thing I could ask for is some more pics of the mountain... If oyu take a bunch from the same angle I can use photo shop and stitch them together into a single pic;)
Not much to really see right now since I am just getting started.  But theres so much potential.
I may actually have some more "work" for you for some of my more finished Forts.

EDIT: So basically my long term plan... In the map you'll notice that the main part of the mountain at the base forms a huge corver with a rounded bit from one of the outcrops.
My plan is to basically mine away the whole face of the mountain up till it's flat, then Build a Massive wall into the carved away mountain from which my fort shall be ensconced in.
That small hill out front that currently houses my fort shall gradually be converted into a mighty Tower.  You can see the first ring of walls I already have in place.  And I will build up from there.
The bridge I started will connect to the "Hill" opposite from it which I shall carve into a similar Tower.
Together the two towers shall form an entrance art to the fort proper eventually.

Yeah this thing gonna be massive.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:33:17 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Well I just tried digging around for older versions of stonesense where the full embark screenshot feature worked, but they just crash when trying to hook into DF .25 with the memory.xml.   

I took a number of screenshots of the northeastern portion of the map, but I'm not particularly good at that kind of thing, and stonesense don't really seem to be made with that in mind (lots of blank space) but if you are feeling like going insane trying to tie these all together... here they are.  21 screenshots.  Hopefully I didn't miss any bits.  (they are more or less following a z shape first ones are the upper z level going west to east, middle numbered ones are a bit farther south and lower in z-height and go east to west, then a little lower down and west to east again.)

Ogreseer however is much better for taking screenshots of large areas.  It's not in the same style, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:41:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use a Freaking Mac and so I don't have Stonesense.  Anyone out there able to use the program to show this thing in it's true Epic Glory?
I, too, use a Mac... and I Boot Camp into Linux to play DF for Stonesense and Dwarf Therapist.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Mountain Megaprogect of DOOM: (or dear god I need Stonesense!!!)
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »

Well My Epic Map suddenly seems less Epic..
After a full year I have only NOW Noticed that there is NO Flux stone and NO Coal or other such materials.

Fck....

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »

So long as it has iron and trees you should still be golden, I think its almost more dwarfy with a wood burner.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 06:05:57 pm »

No Magnetite so Iron is scarce and its way WAY Up in the mountains, I already clearcut the whole map to make a few beds and barrels for the basecamp.

I dropped a shaft straight down to the magma sea, So  I have access to all the "basic" metal I need, But I'll have to do a lot of strip mining for iron.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:34 pm »

BAH! DF Is about challenges after all!
Lets see if I can make this Fort truly Epic without ONE DROP OF STEEL!