Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone else ever considered  (Read 1585 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else ever considered
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Ingish = BODICE. So Bodice Pickseeds would be better suited to the non-existent prostitution place.
Urist = Dagger. So Dagger Faithfultreaty would be a good candidate for a roman senator.
Edëm(Assumed) = Key. So Key Duckcudgel would probably make a good Guard.
Bomrek = Whip. So Whip Granitenobles would indeed be a good canadate for a sculptor.
Lokum = Spear. Spear Stabmetals would make a good sword or spear user.

Fondle Rockbust could be spelled åblel or stal. åblel would indeed be a candidate for the prostitution rings.

Rakust = Tomb. Tomb Diamondtrumpet would probably be a decorator.
Zulban = Banner. Banner Whippedballs would probably be a househusband of some sort  :p
As for Zuglar, when you realize his name means "Ship", you can just imagine the carnage against the trees he has leveled in his life.

Led means rack, so he must have been a bloodthirsty noble. "Nobody expects the dwarvish inquisition!" I imagine the bow-goblin ambush wasn't a complete suprise...

Kogsak = Palisade. Palisade Anusturmoils would probably be a siege engine by himself. Don't point him at me!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

An alternative for those who don't have the names listed: use nicknames to influence the way the double names are interpreted.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>Not quite by name, but I'm currently running a community game where all the dwarves are divided into jobs by religious caste. Except the followers of Rurast, Goddess of Treachery, who get assigned wherever they want but risk getting exposed and executed every spring.</STRONG>
And you need to update it!

Seriously.  It's an awesome fort.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Telltolin:
<STRONG>What about Kogsak Agakbukith, or Kogsak Anusturmoils? What would his job be? ;o</STRONG>

Making fertilizer, of course.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>Not quite by name, but I'm currently running a community game where all the dwarves are divided into jobs by religious caste. Except the followers of Rurast, Goddess of Treachery, who get assigned wherever they want but risk getting exposed and executed every spring.</STRONG>

...but what job could you give the followers of the God of Rainbows? Jeweler, maybe? Designated Hippie/Elf Liaison?

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

Clothing designers, maybe.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Dyers, definitely dyers.

What about the God of Torture and Misery?  My Broker/Organizer/Mayor/Bookkeeper is actually one of his followers, funnily enough.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 10:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Khosan:
<STRONG>Dyers, definitely dyers.

What about the God of Torture and Misery?  My Broker/Organizer/Mayor/Bookkeeper is actually one of his followers, funnily enough.</STRONG>

Guards.  Give them a very spartan barracks, with nice weapon racks but low-quality beds and perhaps some chains, and make sure it is near or adjoins your jail-  which should have strong cages and chains and some small rooms with internal doors, each containing a single chair or table and perhaps caged animals or goblins, or some gears and things.

I really like this idea.  I may have to adopt it for my next fort.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

quote:
What about Kogsak Agakbukith, or Kogsak Anusturmoils? What would his job be?

Mayor.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

I'm running a nominative determinism fort at the moment, have gotten up to aroudn the 100 mark in terms of population.

(so far, three dwarfs that should've been prostitutes)

It's in a great loctaion, too, on top of a mountain.  Most fun I've had for ages.

A few notable characters:
Fath Burnstaves (pyrotechnician) is my woodburner
Udib Furnacewatched is my furnace operator
Ilral Inkceilings (interior designer) takes care of most of my engraving work
Tun Sabregold is my sword maker
Zon Blownorbs handles glass production. *cough cough*
Mistem Inkswallowed (scribe) is working as my book keeper
and my current Mayor is Uzol Urnmarkets.  He was undertaker and broker, before the last elections...

I'm still waiting for immigrants to replace my two temporary farmhands!
They're getting awfully good at the job now.  I fear that there will be a food shortage when they're swapped out.
:)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pickupsticks:
<STRONG>and my current Mayor is Uzol Urnmarkets. He was undertaker and broker, before the last elections...</STRONG>

I think that's my favorite.  You, sir, are teh win.
I have to ask- was it your own idea or were you inspired by this discussion?

quote:
Zulban = Banner. Banner Whippedballs would probably be a househusband of some sort

Until someone made him angry.  Then ZULBAN SMASH!

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

This thread gave me the idea, so I tip my hat to you McDoomhammer.

Giving everyone a custom job title makes it easier to spot the immigrants and go through reassigning them.

Here's how things stand at the moment:

...although of course, a lot of people currently hold professions that they're not doing from their Life Before They Arrived.

A couple of other people that I forgot to mention:
Nomal Mirrorwashed is the caretaker, ably assisted by
Lorbam Dustwheeled (hygeine technician) and
Melbil Chambercalmed the maid.
In the military I have two dedicated grapplers training as wrestlers,
Unib Oiledskins and
Unib Tradegrasps.  I don't think they're related or anything, though.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

The rumours are probably terrible, nonetheless.

I really like your idea of giving them appropriate profession names, then have them do something appropriate to that.  Elegant yet flexible.

It all begs the question- is the mountain scorching/a volcano and was the fort name randomly generated?  :)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Eighth-Press random name... and yes, it's listed as a volcano  :)
(although the magma vent is not in my deployment selection, it's off to the North West somewhere)

Things were quite tough at the beginning, until I'd had a couple of immigration waves.

Assuming I don't get wiped out by an invasion any time soon, I'm hoping to build a temple to Ziril, deity: mountains, volcanos on the top of the mountain.  Complete with butcher shop / ceremonial altar.
At the moment the top of the mountain only has justice-cages set up.  I hope this doesn't make the spirits angry  ;)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

(whoops, sorry for double post)

Oh, and rather than having those with names that don't relate to ANYthing really be "wild", I'm insisting that they are either haulers or drafted into the military.
(fish-workers with non-meaningful names always get to be haulers... no room for a stinky dwarf in the army!)

This does mean that immigrants who end up doing the hauling will keep their "profession" forever on the overview screen.
I wonder if one day there will be a decline in skill level for any dwarf that doesn't do the job for a year?

I was quite close to abandoning the fort altogether in the beginning when my leader was killed in a mining accident whilst clearing line-of-sight for an archery station overlooking my farms.
Glad that I stuck with it, though - I'm sure I'll be using this method of distributing labour in other forts too: it's tremendous fun!

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: pickupsticks ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3