Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CivWorld - Civilisations falls slowly.  (Read 6523 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CivWorld - Civilisations falls slowly.
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »

so i was just having a game of the newly opened beta Of CivWorld, and i had to come here to share my utter frustration and dissapointment of this game not only because i really loved any civilization game till this one, but also because i really hoped that if anyone could prove that facebook games has the potential to be good games its our dear sid.

The game starts out nicely with you building houses, which can be set to be either farmers (gives food), workers (gives production), merchants (give gold), sciencetists (give science, offcourse) or culture. you can build additional buildings that improve the production rate of said buildings (granay, library etc).

Each house/workers gives a set amount of resources according to its size, with additional bonuses given by building wonders or having great peoples. resources which you have to manually collect by hovering over annoying popping icons.

For the first hour its ok, but the scaling is where the scheme really starts to show off. if you want to expand past the 3 population limit, you have to reach 720 food, something which may take you several hours to do. i am talking here about moving your mouse over popping icons and doing absolutely nothing else for three hours. this is more work than game to me.

Once you will reach the desired goal you recieve the option to build another house, which should result in faster growth right? wrong. the scaling makes it so that you will have to spend even more time to reach the next goal. obviously, this is done so you would want to pay in order to speed things up, which surprisingly enough, doesnt turn the game into a "pay to play" game or even a "pay to win game", but managed to make up a whole new genre of "pay inorder to prevent yourself from commiting suicide" game.

While you are doing nothing there, as you cannot explore the land in any real way meaningfull way (except building guard towers that gives vision) you can go on and play some of the 3 mindless shallow mini games that gives resources upon completion, those include a retarded maze that the hardest thing about it is actuall accumolating science points which equals maze moves, solve a puzzle with culture points or solve a merchant path mini game which gives you gold and is built upon a timer limit (the longer you wait, the higher the gold bonus is), or go and customise your throne room which is an ugly version the sims which will probably cost you more time to build a freaking chair then it is to build a megaproject in Dwarf Fortress.

There are some social stuff that speed things up, as science is accumolated globaly in your civilization, but apart from slightly speeding things up, only make sure that you wont have to do anything in order to achieve anything.

This is how bad i think this game really is, one i think that should be the setting mark of the fall of the frenchise of civilizaion. i, if only for this game, will never contribute a single dime to any other games by sid meier.

If anyone has a different view on this game, please do share and discuss.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:22:01 pm by burningpet »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CivWorld - Civilisations falls slowly.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »

This is what happens when making games has turned from making art into making moolah!

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:36:29 pm »

Pretty much agree. There were a few of us in the alpha, also hoping that it would be all kinds of awesome. It turned out to have more bugs than working mechanics, and beneath those the core gameplay was... Bad.

Just another facebook game, I'm afraid.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:42:47 pm »

This sounds like...any other city building or civilization online game I've ever seen.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:05:55 pm »

This is what happens when making games has turned from making art into making moolah!

+1. I hate what's happening to the industry.

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:56:26 pm »

I don't get you people. Seriously, wtf? This is not the classic Civilization and anybody ever told otherwise. This is a game just like Stronghold Kingdoms or any other limited-moves-per-day game. Who the hell cares what games Sid decides to do with his spare time; he didn't promise a masterpiece or Civ 6. It clear from the start what type of game this was going to be. A free to play timesink.

If you don't like it, don't fucking play it and don't expect Alfa Centauri 3. I don't complain that the 2$ game that I bought for my Blackberry isn't like Crysis 2.

You could also try and ask for a refund. Oh wait, it's a FREE BROWSER GAME!

i, if only for this game, will never contribute a single dime to any other games by sid meier.

If this is meant seriously, I'm sorry, but it's one of the dumbest things I have ever read on the internet. Let me get this straight, you will never buy a game again, because someone made a free browser game you didn't like? This pisses you off, but not the state in which Civ5 was shipped? "Hey I paid 50$ for something that won't run properly, but I JUST CAN'T HANDLY THIS FREE GAME!!!!!! " LET'S ALL RIOT!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:58:58 pm by YouR_DooM »
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »

I don't like YD's hostility but he's right. CivWorld is stupid, but I've been keeping up with the news about it and I don't think they ever marketed it as terribly much more than a civilization-themed F2P timewaster.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »

I would rather play PocketCiv. It's free and does not require electricity or internet access. It has at least as much content.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:45:38 pm »

I don't like YD's hostility but he's right. CivWorld is stupid, but I've been keeping up with the news about it and I don't think they ever marketed it as terribly much more than a civilization-themed F2P timewaster.

I agree. YD is way over the top with hostility but everyone else in the thread is way over the top with melo drama. "The state of the industry" and all that shit is laughable. You guys sound like old men from every generation lameniting the fact that it was better in their day. Seriously. Are any of you over 30? Why is every one in such a rush to pronounce PC gaming dead?

Not only that, but we are talking about Sid Meier. The one guy who has managed to keep a franchise alive and TRUE for basically the entire history of PC gaming. And you'll "never contribute a single dime to any other games" made by him? Really?

Please, for the love of god, get over this idea that the industry is failing. We have more options and more fun now than we ever had, many of which are fun and most of those options are even playable online.  There will be miss steps (everyone has their least favorite Civ PC game) but in general the industry moves forward.

Getting bent out of shape about a facebook game is way off base. The fact that it is a FACEBOOK game should have been a hint. How can you consider this a slap in the face? Do you really think Sid (or anyone) will say "Wow! This is more fun than making civ games, I'll take a pay cut and only make shallow boring Facebook games."

Look at the bright side, maybe it will give him the money to make Alpha Centuri 2 or MOO 4 or what ever.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:15:53 pm »

I think most modern games are lame... as it always was.

Consider, when people talk about the "good old games" they usually have in mind the ones they remember, aka, the creme at the top of the pie. It's a recall bias.

But underneath those there were plenty of lame games which don't get remembered because they were altogether too lame for that. Just check any old gaming maazine

Whereas I find the emphasis on eyecandy rampart in modern games annoying, I don't know to what extent this wasn't always true, either.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:17:29 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

Let me get this straight, you will never buy a game again, because someone made a free browser game you didn't like? This pisses you off, but not the state in which Civ5 was shipped? "Hey I paid 50$ for something that won't run properly, but I JUST CAN'T HANDLY THIS FREE GAME!!!!!! "

When people charge you money up front for you to play a buggy video game, then it means they aren't greedy people doing it for money and thus you can excuse the poor marksmanship and buginess because it is obviously a labor of love. When people provide you a free game that you can play for free and give you a benefit if you give them money but you don't need to do so because you're already playing the game, then it prove that they are nothing more than greedy businesspeople out to suck people's blood.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »

When people charge you money up front for you to play a buggy video game, then it means they aren't greedy people doing it for money and thus you can excuse the poor marksmanship and buginess because it is obviously a labor of love. When people provide you a free game that you can play for free and give you a benefit if you give them money but you don't need to do so because you're already playing the game, then it prove that they are nothing more than greedy businesspeople out to suck people's blood.

Insane troll logic detected!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 10:26:42 pm »

Consider, when people talk about the "good old games" they usually have in mind the ones they remember, aka, the creme at the top of the pie. It's a recall bias.

"recall bias" is not nearly as fun to say as warning tvtropes link.

But yeah, there always was the shoddy FPS or the Custer's Revenge or the Monkey Feces Tower Defense. There are a lot of gems I think in today's market -- even if they're commercial games, or even sequels. The main difference is that in the early days of gaming, a lot of games were lame because game devs experimented and it didn't work quite as well. Now, a lot of things are lame because game devs didn't experiment and it didn't work quite as well.

As another example: Today, game programming using an established programming language, possibly an SDK and many libraries makes creating commercial and indie games easier. However, the games are much larger scale, and you have to accommodate for a lot more gameplay situations. Same with the graphics -- the actual making of them not as frustrating as punching holes into your assembly code, but it's still a significant amount of work because you've got to make the graphics appealing and possibly realistic.

Games today and games yesterday are very different in very similar ways.

Insane troll logic detected!

I want to say no to you but I don't think I understood Servant Corps' post either.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:26 pm »

I probably should have add a sarcasm tag to my post.

What I meant was that the very idea of charging money for video games and trying to turn a profit indicate that "selling out" and "game development is about making moolah, not art" is already occurring in the first place, and at least these F2P games don't charge you to play and you can leave them when you realize that they are horrible (while you get no refund for buggy releases). I'm not condemning the idea of selling games though; I am condemning the idea of thinking that these $50 games by Sid Miers' are anything but selling out.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

Oh, yeah. That makes sense. And I agree that this game, or in a way the core of most F2P games, is based around what a lot of people will call "selling out". But I don't think that this game means that Civilization VI or whatever Sid Meier makes next is gonna be less awesome. Like, the game is "selling out" but the company itself isn't. Sort of like how, you know, having Pokemon R/G/B, and then making a video game based on the trading cards, the trading cards themselves and a progressively sloppier anime didn't suddenly make G/S/C the worst game in the main series.

(your opinions may very, everything i've ever said is subjective)
Pages: [1] 2 3