Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185082 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Spring 315a)
« Reply #2775 on: September 11, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »

Jarod was afraid. The man was getting near, and he did not want to face him again. He muttered something like "Sound coming from there" and "I'm in no state to fight" and tried to look even more injured. With a bit of luck, the soldiers would kill the madman and he would be with a doctor within the hour.

Stay safely behind the soldiers whatever happens.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: September 11, 2011, 07:33:15 pm »

The door closed, and his hood was on the streets. All could easily see who he was.

"Demon! Kill the abomination!" Locanil heard one said.

Instantly, Locanil grabbed his hood and ran through the streets and alleys of Acre. How many angry mobs had chased him now? Aroung 13, perhaps 15, kind of hard to differentiate an angry mob and a drunk mob.

Finally, he reached the inn. He ran for the door and closed it tight.

The inn was empty right now; it was still to early for the regulars to be spending their earnings. The barman over there looked at him inquisitively; he already knew about Locanil's non-humanity, so it wasn't that.

"Just a misunderstanding, nothing to worry about." Locanil said.
"Don't be carin what is was, just make sure it en't be comin in here".

Locanil nodded and went to his room. He spent hours writing up the first chapter of his book. Of course, Locanil was no expert on this region, so he had to call in some local scholars via a messenger boy who came with the room. They were happy to come and help after some persuading with meals.

After the scholars had left, Locanil went to sleep. Tomorrow, he would journey to Groaning, at night of course.

Action
Stay in inn until night tomorrow. Spend time writing book.

When it is tomorrow night, Gather up belongings and travel to Groaning.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:38:09 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 11, 2011, 08:36:47 pm »

Castle Sheepstead's Throne Room, Mid-Spring...

(Hans) Erik heard the merchant's proposal and frowned, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "A...sound offer. Clever, if you can pull it off." he paused a moment, studying the man, and murmured "But...can you?" The King paused once more, and then continued on, "Since the days of old when my ancestor Sigurd the Liberator, descendant of Elbreth herself, led the people of these lands in throwing off the shackles of Miring and Suulian oppression we have sought to keep these lands free of outside influence..." he steepled his hands then, looking through the high window through which moonlight had struck him the night before, "...your offer is...tempting. Please, stay here for a time whilst I consider it. You will have your answer by the fall's harvest."

Later...

(Knavston) Erik handed a sealed envelope to Bjorn, and then turned to enter his chambers, a mug of mead in hand. It would be delivered to Grand Master Knavston Black soon enough, bearing the following text:

The Next Day...

(Terenos) Lord Terenos was beckoned to the King's chambers. When he arrived, Erik was standing at the window, mug of mead in hand as he watched the Knight Guard spar in the courtyard below. "There are drinks on the table, friend." he began, only briefly glancing back to ensure that it was the Black Shadow that had entered and not a guard or steward, "I've a question of you, and a request."

His face was grim for a brief moment, and then slipped back into its regular calm as he turned about. "First. I am certain that you have at least heard of the offer made by a certain merchant yesterday, no? What do you think of the man? The offer he has made me?"

Later that Day...

(Kain) "Minister, you are doing well, I hope? I've a question and a task." Erik queried as Kain as ushered into his chambers. Once more, Erik motioned to the bottle of wine (or flagon of mead, depending on the man's taste) before taking up his own mug. "The question first, of course. I am sure you have heard of the offer made by a merchant yesterday. Perhaps you were even present. I ask you: What do you think of this Hans fellow, and the offer he has made?"

An Indeterminate Time...

Erik sighed as he read the missive from Suul. Quickly he picked up a quill and penned a letter:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Letter Would be Sent to ArchBishop Thring, in the hands of three different messengers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:38:25 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 11, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »

Erik sighed as he read the missive from Suul. Quickly he picked up a quill and penned a letter:

The Letter Would be Sent to ArchBishop Thring, in the hands of three different messengers.

A response is delivered from the Archbishopric, in due time:

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Luriksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

((After reading all the pages, I'm glad to finally take part in You are King! after my char got accepted :) )) 

Sverre Sigurdsson stroked his goatee, and gazed down at the open field separating Jarl Corv Manskinner and McKinley's camp's. 
He had come all the way from the norther part of Eastern Wayland at border to The Dead Plains. He was struck with wanderlust at the age of 17, and has been fighting as a mercenary with some of his childhood friends ever since. Now 25 years old and Captain of his own regiment of mercenaries. Having fought for dozens of different clans all over the Eastern Weylands, he had finally arrived at what he viewed as the border to civilization. dreams of getting rich from real wars and not some petty dispute over a stolen goat or sheep. when the news of the duel between Jarl Corv and McKinley reached his ears, was he hoping for Jarl Corv to win, since he had larger land and more gold. 

I expect and hope to se some fighting no mater the out come of this duel. Sverre tells his vice-captain Geir. 
Let's set up camp her, and i will head down towards Manskinner camp and see if they have any need for some mercenaries after the duel is over. I'm hoping Jarl Corv comes out victorious, I'm not sure if he have anyone as second in command down there incase he dies. If not then i have no other choice head to the McKinley's, and i neither will have us then we head further south. 

The Black Eagle's have arrived! 
The Black Eagle Mercenary company will offer their services at a cost of 0.5d/season. we will also want our share of war loot and spoils of war.

Ride down to Victor of the duel, and ask if they need some mercenaries.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:13:43 am by Luriksen »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2780 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:18 am »

((Sorry no witty banter at the moment might edit later if I think of anything))

Eat my breakfast, then begin to craft a supply of black powder for my own experimental use.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 12, 2011, 12:58:17 am »

Terenos was dripping on the stone floor. He had just finished a rousing workout with the King's Guard when he had been asked to meet with the King. He had barely had time to dump a barrel of fresh cool water over his head and rush off to the King's Chambers.

He was eyeing the mug and remembering the last time he had drunk with the King while the king asked his question.
Trade? But of course it would have to be the one thing Father wouldn't let you study. Damnable traditions
"Well my King, Trade is not an area I am particularly adept. I know ..some things about it. So from there I will give my advice.
I will not support or oppose him. His proposal is..sparse. He offers to enrich the land but gives no specifics. Offers to fight our opponents but..What opponents? The Storm Coast Trade Guild who has no chapter houses within our dominion, last I heard?
He also requests an instant monopoly. This would grant an unprecedented amount of power to him, and there is no guarantee he needs that.

If he is a capable merchant, he can gather the required funds easily. There is no need to give him concessions without gaining something in return. If you granted him all he asked, what would you gain in return? That said, what is it you would request of me, my King?"
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 12, 2011, 02:21:35 am »

"Under the circumstances, Your Holiness, I don't foresee competing with the Order to be beneficial to either of us. So I suppose I'll need to exercise some other creative ideas. Even with the loan from the state, I can't see any way for myself to manage to come out ahead...at least not in an economic amount of time.

I do so wish to remain on good terms with yourself and the state - so perhaps I should proceed with my backup plan. Best case I can hope for is a little assistance in getting into the SCTG. I don't suppose you're too friendly with them however. At a minimum? I dunno, we never met and I barge into a Guildmaster's office this Summer."

Tearakudo Shrugs uncomfortably

"Guess I'll think of something...as usual"

Accept the marques (-2d) paying for this year up front and willingly, and the 3d rather unwillingly citing the former captain's apparent associations and involvement and the possibility of Suul being dragged into an Elbreth/Miring civil war were the origins and allegiances of the former captain known to anyone but a bunch of 'pirates' and shark food.

-Register the Runner and the Cargo vessel (hereafter named Inspiration)

Send runners to Preston and Elbreth to rent a warehouse in each for the year (-2d)

EDITS: Because i need to deal with those pigs in Vasir before the season ends...

Hire a guard and a 1 cargo caravan for a journey from Vasir To Elbreth (-1d)
Pigs sold in elbreth
-get prices on Wool in elbreth
--Prepare caravan to head west
(go ahead and institute a tax to retcon this trade Erik)

Suul
Get prices on lumber and clams
-prepare to head west
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:03:15 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:22 am »

Hans' face was a mixture of relief and gratitude, now that someone has considered his idea. And that wasn't just anybody, but the most powerful man of the Mirish Coast, King Erik himself.
Clearly taken with the idea of strong Elbrethian economy, Erik seemed a willing candidate and patron to the idea of Vries Trading Company.
Hans then bowed in a sign of gratitude and replied:

Your Majesty, you are too kind. I am more than honoured to remain and await your reply. No doubt your Majesty would like to see my ability to deliver the promised coin, and this is just what I intend to to until the harvest time. If Your Majesty is interested, I am able to perform a bit of remote trading, with caravan masters and ship captains taking my orders by letter and selling goods. I intend to do just that and show how much more could be done if a Company was in place. In meantime i assume that will be able to remain in one of your numerous chamber in the palace?

Hans then bowed again and excused himself to leave the chamber after the royal reply.

Wool was an obvious choice for trade in Elbrethian capital, and with summertime approaching, Hans will be able to buy almost all of capital's output for mere couple of ducats.
If the company is to establish its HQ in here, the city will have to have highways and storehouses, counting houses and cloth mills..... Yes, Hans was already daydreaming and seeing a metropolitan hive in place of a sleepy and rustical town.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 12, 2011, 10:35:48 am »

Ludwig heard Kain start speaking but the door behind Ludwig was already closing before he could finish his sentence.

Capture Vahnker, using any means necessary. If Ludwig loses him, return to the inn.

Ludwig wastes no time, no sooner has the fighting ceased than he is rushing out the door after the fleeing Vahnker, drawing his blade.
[6] Vahnker, clearly of a build more suited to brawling than running, is swiftly caught by the more agile Ludwig, who manages to corner him against a wall. However, this seems to resolve him to a fight, and he [Ludwig:5] swings wildly at his pursuer with a knife. His fear affects his aim, however, and Ludwig knocks him on his rear with a well-placed punch to the jaw.
[1] The thug, lying sprawled in the street and looking rather less impressive without his hat, (which was knocked from his head in the struggle) only appears stunned. He groans, clutches his head and attempts to stagger to his feet, while Ludwig quickly decides what to do.
He can hear voices and loud footsteps approaching. From the opposite direction of the tavern...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: September 12, 2011, 12:04:32 pm »

Kain sat down and took a polite sip of the mead.
"Yes mi'lord I heard the man speak. Merchants in general are slippery little eels, but the SCTG -from what I can glean from rumors and such- are so slippery they are practically slime."
He stared at his glass for a moment. Contemplating.
"The Storm Coast Trading Guild is a problem, and they seem to be taking an interest in our newer acquisitions, but it personally seems like a bit of a folly to fight a supposed monopoly with another supposed monopoly.
Personally, I'm for having a free trade state, but if you do grant this man "exclusive trade rights" then I suggest we put someone loyal in the managment of his guild to keep it under control. Perhaps the "Mask"."

And with that he finished, taking another sip from his drink and leaning back in his chair.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:26:58 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: September 12, 2011, 02:09:34 pm »

Hanja's diary, x.x.315a, ???

We are stranded in the remains of a great city. If I were a historian I would be very happy to be here. But no - alas, we are traders, and if there is not a fortune to be made, It would have little sense in staying around. As soon as our men clear the mud, we're moving out.

Of course, mark this place on the map. Whatever it is a part of Miring or Suul - it does not matter. Somebody would probably pay a price for this.

Mark the place on the map. Keep an accurate record of the ruins, as long as time allows. Unstuck the ship and continue to sail south to find a place to sell those clams.[/i]

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:13 am »

The Manskinner sat on his throne, his hand caressing a book from which propably only one was left along the Mirish Coast. The Pax Imperia. His heirloom.

Let all men be freed from the darkness of religious gnorance and enlightened by the Beacon of Knowledge.

the Jarl grinned. The sentence had been added on the empty first page later on by someone who had possessed the book. Few people knew today that the prophet of Suul had brought about the Downfall of the Mirish Empire. That it was not the will of the gods or decadence or its own bureaucracy which brought it down, but a mere Religious fanatic from the East, fighting his personal crusade. Oh yes, after the Suulian Orthodoxy had established its power, the Pax Imperia and many other similiar books had been declared heretical and they had tried to destroy them. It had taken his father years to find some of the few copies, which sold at an enormous price among collectors, yet alone to aquire one of the originals. He opened the book at a random page and ended up at a paragraph about Wergeld and Duels:

It was common among Duellists to cut themselves in front of their enemies. This was a sign of Honor and Respect towards your enemy aswell as to find out whether the opponent was using poisoned weaponry

Interesting...

Only eat bread before the duel, in hopes of that atleast not being poisoned.
Before the Duel, the Jarl will cut himself with his Axe to show that he is using unpoisoned weaponry and will clearly state it before the people, that a man of Honor would do just this. Then demand the same from McKinley

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:44 am »

Ludwig pulls the man to a nearby ally way while holding his hand at the man's mouth and a dagger at the man's throat. Saying that if he dares make a noise or move, he would slit his throat at a moments notice.

All of the above and when the danger is past try to get information from the man. If not persuade him a bit. When he gives the information kill him and run to the tavern, first thank him politely.

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

Contact Manskinner and inform him of my allegances.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188