Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185104 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Spring 315a)
« Reply #2730 on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:24 pm »

Locanil was saddened that he could not help the ill one, but he truly had no skill. True, he might have been able to call upon the spirits, but common use of them could kill Locanil in more ways than one. There was always another way to secure knowledge- the people of the region. They knew things and from them Locanil might be able to piece together something of use.

After that, Locanil went to see the art of Aching, these tapestries that have made the region famous.

Later, after talking with the commoners, Locanil began writing up the first chapter of his book, "The Cities and States of the Storm Coast".
Actions

Find a store selling these tapestries. See how much one of them costs.
Write up first chapter of the book, "Cities and States of the Storm Coast". It will be entitled "The Aching and Groaning of a Republic". Write in a serious and neutral format. Describe Aching and write about its economy, religion, etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:27:42 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:56 pm »

"Please sir send me on my way I am no use to you just sitting here. Hire me or I will move on to The storm coast. THey always need a blade there. PLeasse I will be loyal to you. Your will be my foes... If you hire me. I promise not to ally my self against you."

countinue trying to wiggle my way out
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 31, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »

Sitting boredly in his quarters, waiting for whoever it was wanting to see him, when the cries of "Taric!" "Escaped!" went up from outside,
Trubaldsome fell out of his padded armchair in shock.
Just as he was picking himself up from the floor, the door burst open to admit Waery, his broadsword out and expression calm as ever. "M'Lord? Time t' go, methinks."
He quickly ushered the young King out of the room into the hallway. It was a scene of chaos, with guards running in from all over the castle, some looking rather confused, some demanding explanations from each other, and still others either screaming battlecries or trying to keep out of the way as they strung bows.
Waery dragged his lord by the arm through all this, heading for the quickest route out of the castle, but Trubaldsome, amazingly, stopped him. "No, Waery! We cannot simply run off. Wh-what will the people say?" He attempted to keep his voice calm, although it trembled slightly. He looked defiantly at the puzzled, scarred face of his bodyguard.
"But M'lord--" "We shall stay here, and direct these men in defence of the Castle," Trubaldsome cut him off, looking down the hall and gesturing to the mass of soldiers. "Look, they are a disorganized rabble at the moment; it is only one man, Waery. Get them- Get them into order, have them kill him." He took a deep, calming breath, raising a brow at Waery's hesitation.
Waery finally accepted his Lord's decision, and moments later his battlefield voice rang out, startling the surrounding soldiers (mostly poorly-armed, recently-recruited peasants) to attention. "On me, you lot! You lot there," He gestured over a small group of farmers and craftsmen, armed with rakes, shovels and other tools of their trades, "With th', er, polearms, get t' th' front, make a wall, there!"

Waery was in his element, ordering these men around and turning them from a rabble into an organized fighting force. Trubaldsome meanwhile, simply stood to one side, eyes fixed on the hallway in the direction Taric would supposedly come from as he took a few pinches of snuff. Then, realising a lot of the assembling soldiers were watching him as they filed into position, guided by Waery's shouts, the young King dropped the snuffbox back in his pocket, set his trembling jaw, and drew his sword.
The men were heartened by that sight, and raised a ragged cheer before turning to face down the hallway readily, those in front with their farming implements held foward in a crude spearwall, and the more disciplined archers behind them nocking arrows, sighting down their bows and arranging their quivers where they could be easily got to.
"It's only one man..." Trubaldsome muttered to himself, sword held somewhat uncertainly by his side.
"Right! Hold!" Shouted Waery, his booming voice echoing in the confined space. He glanced somewhat concernedly towards Trubaldsome, then went on, "We take th' bastard here! Fill 'im so full've arrows there'll be nought left, lads!"

Trubaldsome sticks close to Waery as the latter organizes the troops into a spearwall in the hallway, facing towards the throneroom, whilst the archers get ready to fire over their heads at Taric. If he flees at the sight of so many opponents, Waery will order them to advance at an orderly pace, without breaking ranks, and attack.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:24:22 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 31, 2011, 09:40:51 pm »

Well, well, well... What an amazing turn of events. He had been hired by a powerful forger of documents, most likely forging official documents nonetheless. Well then, it's probably best to leave for now. He had seen enough. This 'granny' would have to wait.

Investigate the stretched stocking. See if there is a way in, but don't do anything as stupid such as asking to be let in.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:39 pm »

FINE! ((2.5 even with the production modifier? gods damn))

Send the cargo ship south to Suul check prices on the flax
-also check prices on good produced in Suul for shipment back up north

On top of that, send my personal ship to Achting, load it with Livestock (2 loads) and send it back to preston and sell - DO THIS TWICE (yes im burning my allowance of movement for this)

((Figured i might as well toss in my second ship since terenos is sitting on his ass getting stabbed in the eye by the king))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E: Added current status
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:19:13 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »

finally something had happened. Corv had already guessed that it would come to that.

Jormund. I leave the matters of my Jarldom to you while i am away. Don't. ever. disappoint me. You know what happened to the Doctor. I will leave Reg with you. He will be your loyal servant up until my return or that of my corpse. If i die, yield the Jarldom to Kinley. It must be united. No matter the cost. If you dont want to serve as a vassal give my lands to Reg or Donald McMurray.

leave for the duel.
    Sell the Slaves gained to the Night Trader.
    Take the leadership of the McMurrays,McRiars and all the other Hersir,Hônd and Chieftains of my Jarldom with me. And of course my Personal Regiment.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:07:30 pm by Ghazkull »

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: September 01, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

Jormund was slightly surprised to be left in charge of the entirety of the Jarl's holdings. Before he left for the diplomatic mission, he had hardly been trusted but he guessed things must have changed. Jormund realized that while the Jarl had done a good job expanding and claiming land he hadn't done much to establish a real country yet. This period of time while Manskinner was away could prove to be a good time to start building a city. Jormund's plan was to build it within the walls on the land that he had built and then hopefully he would be able to at least split the taxes and money that was made from it in years to come. Jormund also realized that it might be smart to try and get the people here used to doing more constructive things than war all the time so he planned on using at least two of the regiments to help in the construction.

Use two of the standard regiments to try and build a city on Jormund's walled parcel of land.

I case you forgot about my previously useless wall here's the post where it was built.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:08 pm »

send an instruction to my ships to load clams in Suul and sail To Vasir.

Running this on best guess estimation: Clams dont exist in the chart. Assuming a 1d base price like most staple foods, and a roll of 2 on the haggle and a roll of 4 on the voyage -to- suul (-2 inc total), that would mean the goods have a .35 inc. Will edit if Iituem says otherwise

[3] By avoiding any standard shipping lanes, your ships make decent time to Vasir, dodging pirates but being a tad slower than optimum [2] Seems there is little desire in Vasir for seafood. You're not surprised given the coastal location of the city. City demands however still manage you +1 inc over base. Clams: Sellable at 1.35 (net profit: .75)

Up to you if you want to sell here.
EDIT@Iituem: Does hiring ships still have the province limit? Lil OP if no..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:33:22 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: September 02, 2011, 02:45:25 pm »

Sell the Clams at that price and send ships to Aching. Load 2 loads of livestock there and send ships to Vasir again.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: September 02, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »

Quote from: Hanja
Find out what is the Cathedral of Suul is made of and where does it come from.

Suul Cathedral is made from brilliant white chalk mined out of the southern Eelspine, smoothed and carved by master artisans and constructed decades ago in a project that took thirty-three years to complete.  It was erected mostly by local labour paid as a result of Church tithes, but stands as a great monument of achievement not merely of the Orthodox Church but of the people of Suul that built it.  The cathedral sports flying buttresses to support its high arches, an engineering first at the time it was built, now seen elsewhere along the Storm Coast in more recent constructions.  The tall, elegantly constructed stained glass windows are famous, using local and imported dyes in the glass.  The particularly brilliant Suulian Blue in some of the windows is well known in that the master glassworkers who created it died without ever revealing or passing on the secret of how to create the dye used - that shade is found nowhere else in the world.

Sell the Clams at that price and send ships to Aching. Load 2 loads of livestock there and send ships to Vasir again.

You sell the clams for 1.4d and head to Aching [1] encountering rough winds [3] that rattle the ship but blow it safely in-land.  You arrive late to market and find pigs selling at [2+1] 0.5d for a score of pigs.  You buy forty for 1d - the stench in the hold is indescribable.  Good thing you're busy elsewhere and only your employees have to worry about it.  They head to Vasir [3] without incident and check the livestock prices: [3] 4d for a score!  Clearly the lack of Guild presence in Aching is limiting their ability to supply the meat-hungry markets here.  Your agent sells the pigs to free up space in the hold, reckoning he will not get a better deal elsewhere.

Treasury: 13.8d
Ships: 1p move left

FINE! ((2.5 even with the production modifier? gods damn))

Send the cargo ship south to Suul check prices on the flax
-also check prices on good produced in Suul for shipment back up north

On top of that, send my personal ship to Achting, load it with Livestock (2 loads) and send it back to preston and sell - DO THIS TWICE (yes im burning my allowance of movement for this)

((Figured i might as well toss in my second ship since terenos is sitting on his ass getting stabbed in the eye by the king))

E: Added current status

[6] The cargo ship arrives in Suul in good time, where Flax is fetching a price of [6+1] 2.5d/tonne.  Lumber and Clams are running at [3]1d and [2]0.3d respectively.

Your personal ship makes a run to Aching [6] making excellent time, where pigs are available at [1-1] 0.5d/dozen - apparently a recent Guild embargo is making it devillishly hard to move pigs around here.  [3] In Preston, you are able to sell the pigs off for [2] 5d/dozen, as the people are still recovering from the recent fighting.  You are making a mint here.  [5] Good winds favour your return to Aching, where the pigs are [6-1] still as cheap as ever at 0.5d/dozen, due to the complete economic failure of Aching.  You suspect that the rules of economics may be broken and will need serious fixing by the gods in the coming future.

[2] The winds finally turn against your ship in the last trip to Preston, where pigs are [2+1] still running at 5.5d/dozen due to war demands.  You give thanks to Valois for your fortune, but suspect that He in His Infinite Wisdom is going to be altering the fabric of the universe soon to stop this sort of flagrant manipulation of the markets.  Unfortunately you can only get 4.6d for one of the pig shipments due to a shortage of ready money, so your man sells one dozen pigs but is forced to keep the other dozen on hand - the Night Runner will have to pick them up or he will end up donating them to orphans at the end of the season due to a lack of warehouse.

14.5d
Night Runner: 4 move (Suul)
Cargo Ship: 0 move (Preston)
1 shipment pigs

finally something had happened. Corv had already guessed that it would come to that.

Jormund. I leave the matters of my Jarldom to you while i am away. Don't. ever. disappoint me. You know what happened to the Doctor. I will leave Reg with you. He will be your loyal servant up until my return or that of my corpse. If i die, yield the Jarldom to Kinley. It must be united. No matter the cost. If you dont want to serve as a vassal give my lands to Reg or Donald McMurray.

leave for the duel.
    Sell the Slaves gained to the Night Trader.
    Take the leadership of the McMurrays,McRiars and all the other Hersir,Hônd and Chieftains of my Jarldom with me. And of course my Personal Regiment.

The Night Trader takes the slaves, pays you 3 ducats and departs north.  A couple of weeks later he returns with more money and awaits further slaves or livestock.

You arrive at the border.  McKinley arrives not long after, bringing two regiments of warriors with him, but under a banner of peace.  It seems he is willing to fight as expected.

[3] You overhear some of your men talking.  Keith McKinley is not known for his sense of honour - it was rumoured he once challenged his wife's betrothed to a fight for her hand and poisoned him before the fight to tip his hand.  You cannot be certain that McKinley will play fair in the coming fight.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: September 03, 2011, 05:40:18 pm »

Corv never had much made out of honor. He admired those who held to it but heroes had the tendence to die early. Nor did he believe in rumours but the fight was too important to take any risks...

Drench my axe in a paralysing poison
    Keep a cupbearer nearby, make sure he eats and drinks everything before i do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:36 am »

Ignore Kain and very closely listen in on stuff. Only fight if totally necessary.
You decide to play it cool, act as though nothing was happening. You, in a fit of what must seem to an observer some sort of madness, reach over, grab the drink of the large, brutish man in the tri-corner hat-The one who's currently pointing a knife at your kidneys- and take a big gulp. [3] He is puzzled by this, and hesitates for a moment as he stares blankly at you. At that moment the robed man at the door begins to advance into the room.

Intimidate the drunks into submission, if that fails, Don't harm Ludwig and only kill the people holding weapons, leave one to three alive of course.
Keep Mahtan out of the fighting for his safety.

You march fowards imperiously, raising an eyebrow at these silly drunken louts. "What seems to be the problem here, gentlemen?" You say, folding your arms in disapproval. "Oh, I believe you should put those weapons down before somebody gets hurt... Most likely the people holding said weapons."
[4]Your words, and the sight of your armed soldiers, disperses a few of the less-hardened criminals. They flee out numerous conveniently-located back doors, much to the annoyance of the core group of thugs, the ones surrounding Ludwig at the bar.

Remain comically oblivious to the danger, and order an ale.
You, your head filled as always with numbers, calculations and thoughts of alchemical substances and their endless possibilities, simply head over to the bar to get a drink as Kain goes about his business.
[5] You take a seat amongst some rather rough-looking fellows, none of whom are looking in your direction, thankfully. You wave the bartender over,  and after giving you an odd look he sets aside the large club he was carrying for some reason.
Perhaps it's for opening barrels? You push the thought aside. "Ale," You say simply, and the bemused bartender goes to grant your request.

[2] At that moment the lead criminal gets to his feet. His lank, greasy black hair hangs down to frame his grubby, broad face, which is that moment set in a derisive sneer as he looks from Ludwig over to Kain and his men.
Several of his comrades get to their feet also in support of their well-behatted leader, brandishing their various weapons.
"Th' King's men, innit? Wotcher think y' doin' in this part a' town?" He swaggers fowards a little and places his hands on his hips, giving a broad, slightly crooked grin.
(Perhaps he rehearsed this speech? Who knows.)
"Lost? We'll set y' back on y'way, won't we, boys!!"
With that, his ragged band of [5] five thugs swarm fowards, [Ludwig:6] completely forgetting about Ludwig in the face of these new targets, but he is knocked from his seat and swept along in the press of bodies towards the entrance.

Kain has armour, (+1) an axe (+1) and three guards. (4/4hp) His opponent, Vahnker Hattel, has a dagger (+1) and his five disorderly companions. (6/6hp)

[3+2 vs 2+1] Your men are not overly fit for this kind of work, being more suited to torturing the helpless rather than engaging in honourable combat, but their fear of you sees them hold their ground against the rabble. One of them makes a quick thrust with his blade, taking a poorly-armed opponent in the stomach and sending him screaming to the floor. Vahnker Hattel 5/6 hp
[6+2 vs 2+1] The violent denizens of the tavern (minus the bartender, who is still pouring Mahtan more ale) crash into your men, but their disorganized charge ends with another of them falling, blood running from a gash in his head. Vahnker Hattel 4/6 hp
6+2 vs 2+1(Damnit)] The violent brawl draws on, Kain's soldiers holding the advantage with the longer reach of their swords. Another thug, along with several pieces of the shoddy furniture, are broken in the process, much to the dismay of the bartender, who [4] nevertheless has a customer to attend to, and pours Mahtan another cup of ale. Vahnker Hattel 3/6 hp
[Mahtan:5] Mahtan's system has seemingly developed some resistance to poisonous substances over the years in his profession, and he shrugs off the effects of the local brew, bravely ordering another, seeming not to notice the chaos around him.
[Ludwig: 5] Ludwig manages to extract himself from the swirling melee, somehow still in one piece, and backs off out of range of the various clubs, swords and knives.
[4+2 vs 3+1] Vahnker 2/6 hp
The grim-faced Vahnker, taking a glancing blow to the shoulder, shouts a fearsome curse, eyes blazing with anger as another of his fellows falls to the tavern floor. Clutching at his shoulder, he roars: "Ah'll nah forget this, y' rat-humpin' bastard! Y've nah heard th' last a' Vahnker Hattel!"
With that, the hatted villain turns on his heel and, using his uninjured shoulder, barges his way out through a backdoor with a slam, leaving his last remaining ally to throw down the table-leg he had for a weapon and fall to the floor in surrender.
He can be heard running for his life down the alleyway outside, his heavy footsteps thumping over the cobbles.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: September 04, 2011, 12:15:04 pm »

Kain grinned and strapped his axe back to his shoulder with a single movement.
Haven't been in a proper brawl in a long time, have I?

"Well mister Ludwig? What caused you to get into this fight? And if your working for the king SHOULDN'T YOU BE CHASING THAT MAN DOWN?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: September 04, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »

Ludwig heard Kain start speaking but the door behind Ludwig was already closing before he could finish his sentence.

Capture Vahnker, using any means necessary. If Ludwig loses him, return to the inn.

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: September 04, 2011, 04:52:56 pm »

"You and You, drag these bodies into a back alley or something after that take one to the dungeons and throw him in a cell."
"Then hurry back for a pint or two on me. Bring another Guard."

And with his minions scurrying off to do his bidding, Kain sits down next to Mahtan and orders some wine or some whisky.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:58:09 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 188