Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185452 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Spring 315a)
« Reply #2595 on: August 24, 2011, 05:27:48 am »

(Short post because it was missed in the last update.)

All characters training Swordplay are now engaged in the Swordsmanship Skill Challenge.

Swordsmanship Training

This is a skill challenge.  On successful completion, the trainee will gain a permanent +1 to personal combat checks whilst using a flat bladed sword (not rapiers, epees, foils or other fencing type swords).

1.  The character must defeat at least 3 other characters in single combat using only a sword.  Armour is allowed.  Poison is not.

2.  The character must be the recognised winner of an official tournament during which he must defeat at least three other combatants.

or

2.  The character must have slain an enemy in a mortal combat duel using only a sword.  Armour is allowed.  Poison is not.

OOC:  Some characters are ahead of the game already here.  Although Terenos used a chair in his mortal duel with Chicane, it was only to deflect an arrow - the sword duel portion counts towards this.  Manning can be counted as having won two ordinary duels already, but I won't give him the mortal combat due qualification yet.  Other swordsmanship trainees are encouraged to enroll/host a tournament if they want a good chance at this.

Erik would have qualified for killing Hikaru (what your opponent uses does not matter), but that was not a strict duel due to the intervention of his guards.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 24, 2011, 05:29:30 am »

Hans got off the ship as fast as he could. When he made his way to Preston, he could recognize the ship belonging to his guild. They are already there.
Wasting no time, he made his way towards the castle. The Guild delegation was already inside, he assumed, so he might be let in without a problem. But then if the Guild representastive finds out that Hans is in there, this may end up badly for him. The least what might happen is a long berating at the hands of the representative for not doing the business fast enough, at worst he will be shipped back to headquarters together with the delegation and his free trade privilege taken away.

The current administrator of the city, Grandmaster Black, must agree to a meeting one-on-one. And the only way to do that is to drop some hint of what might be going on....

Make way to the castle and demand an audience with Grandmaster, saying that there is an important piece of info regarding SCTG. I remain anonymous by not giving my name.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:09:34 am by Ardas »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:55 am »

Search the city for live snakes from Swamstika for sale and search the for poisonous herbs.

((I hope the king gives me a mission soon.))
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:40:21 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 24, 2011, 06:17:12 am »

Jormunds Audience

The Jarl looked sceptically at the man before him.

You were unhappy with the style the kingdom was reigned? And now you come here into my Jarldom? Are you sure you aren't in the wrong place?

he laughed but then his face went serious.

The Doctor has gained land but still made more wrong choices than i might fathom, i need you to righten one of them. Get your personal guard, fly the peace banner and ride to McKinley land. I want you to try and negotiate a momentary cease-fire. Ask him if there would be any way to move him to join my Jarldom as a Herse. If he wants money, if he wants trial by battle or if he just wants the blood price paid for his dead son, i don't care try to haglle something out. You as a knight have a far greater degree of honor and maybe he will acknowledge it. Stay polite no matter how bad they may behave and for gods sake get that assassin off its job. The Doctor went the completely wrong way, we need the McKinleys not the Munros...

After Johnstons Duel, Night Traders Audience

Corv stayed silent for a few moments.

Your offer is a good one, Night Trader was it? Of course you can sleep here, you have already taken mead and meat with me so you fall under guest right. You will be provided a sleeping chamber in my longhouse and not some tent like the Thralls sleep in. But first you have to answer me some questions...why are you injured? And secondly where are the cattle and the slaves going? Not that i really care what happens to them, i just like to know what i am up to, so that i can fulfill specifics. If you want them for offerings to any gods or something or for arena fights or for whatever i can easier find what you would prefer.

provide the Night Trader with a sleeping place. Send the 2 Blôdvindr Regiments out to raid Munro lands for slaves. Use the 1,5 ducats left to establish a Market by the name of..."Hideturn". Start establishing Trade Routes with Elbereth.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 24, 2011, 06:35:11 am »

Jormund is relieved to hear that he's still accepted here even if it is on shaky grounds. What the Jarl doesn't understand is that he's not here to serve the kingdom, he's here because it's an acceptable place for him to bide his time and strengthen his own forces for when he leaves. The task the Jarl gave him would definitely be a hard one, but Jormund would still do his best to attempt it and hopefully things would turn out at least decent for him. He quickly gathered his men and set out towards the McKinley border, specifically in the direction the assassin seemed to have gone and raised a flag of peace.

Jormund leads his personal guard with a flag of peace raised towards the McKinley's land. He heads in the best known direction that the assassin went and looks for him as well as the McKinleys.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 24, 2011, 06:49:59 am »

Out front of Miring's castle...
The two guards on duty, one a young, recent recruit from the pesantry, clad in dung-stained cotton work clothes, the other one of the Royal guard judging by his uniform, looked up as Norm approached them. "Halt!" said the younger of the two, leveling a rake in the robed man's direction in an attempt to impress his superior. The other guard merely sighed, standing up and shoving the young recruit aside. "What d'you want? ... Ah, an appointment?" He glanced thoughtfully about, then shrugged. "Any time's just as good, I suppose. Brynlas, show 'im to the King, would you?"
The younger guard nodded, and led Norm through the castle to the King's quarters.

Meanwhile, in Trubaldsome's quarters...
Trubaldsome felt, quite simply, overwhelmed. He sat there in his seat, in his quarters (he still didn't particularly like entering the throne room; even though servants had already scrubbed every last speck of blood from the floor) with his hands clasped absently as he listened intently to the Chamberlain.
"Yes... Ah, indeed..." He murmured, and nodded his head at intervals, although with each new issue the man outlined the young King's pained grimace became more pronounced. Finally, after what seemed like an age, the Chamberlain was finished, and Trubaldsome relaxed slightly, fumbling his snuffbox out for a quick pinch to help along the thought processes.
"Hrm," He said, at length. ""The Sword Coast Traders?! They shall not have monopoly over us; it is bad enough that I am dealing with one of them already..." He glanced around for a moment. "Where is Aulon, anyway... Oh yes, he went to Elbreth. Pity, he could have dealt with them." He shrugged, and went on to the other matters.
"Well, yes, the first point is simple: raise taxes, ten percent sounds fine. Much better than nothing at all, for certain! As for defence, well... I have an idea, shall deal with that later."
He squinted uncertainly at the man, voice apprehensive. "Arms and slaves, you say? I'm not sure I like the sound of that, but... Perhaps we shall have to. But," He raised a finger from the arm of his chair, "We shall impose a twenty-five percent tax; I do not particularly want these two industries becoming too common, hm? Those slaves... Always from such dirty countries!" He wrinkled his nose up, then sighed and continued.

"I don't think we should raise tax quite as high on more... Respectable businesses, however. Ten percent should be quite enough, and it should entice more people to set up shop. We want to attract people back here, not chase out those few who are left, after all! And..." He was interrupted by a knock at the door, which opened to reveal a young, dirty guard in the company of a strange, grey-robed figure.
"Er, he said he wanted an appointment, your highness," said the guard, seemingly a little self concious in his grubby clothes, before heading back out again.
Trubaldsome frowned. He would have to have someone teach those guards a little etiquette... Interrupting him in the middle of a meeting! Nevertheless, he gestured the newcomer over to one of the seats before his desk, the one not already occupied by the Chamberlain.
"Yes? You wished to see me, then?" He raised his brows, looking the man over. After a moment, he sighed wearily and massaged his palms against his temples, leaning back in his seat. "A priest, I am guessing? I-" He was interrupted again by a knock at the door, which opened to reveal the same guard once more, this time in the company of an even stranger figure, an apparently blind man with one arm ending in a crossbow. Trubaldsome stared blankly at this appiration for a moment, then demanded of the guard, "What is this, some sort of joke?!" But the sheepish looking fellow merely shrugged his shoulders and stepped back out again.
The young, overworked King sighed. "Yes, very well, come on in. Waery, pull out another seat, would you?"
As Waery did so, Trubaldsome shifted his weight gingerly to a more comfortable position in his seat, resting one elbow on the chair's arm and running a finger thoughtfully across his moustache.
"So... You wish to serve me, then?" He eyed the newly-arrived man somewhat doubtfully. "A wise choice, indeed. Er, what... Talents will you be bringing to my Kingdom, if I may ask?" As he spoke he opened a drawer in his desk, pulling forth a sheaf of paper, quill and ink, setting them on the tabletop in readiness.
Then, taking up the quill he began to write, with his tongue poking out as he squinted in concentration, quickly scribbling up a message on the topmost sheet of paper. He beckoned Waery over and handed it to him.
"Waery, make up some copies of this, would you? Have the men post them around the city, and in the larger nearby villages, yes."
Spoiler: Poster (click to show/hide)

Waery nodded and went on his way, and Trubaldsome returned his attention to the three seated across from him, setting down his quill and lounging back in his chair.
"Ah yes, Chamberlain, you may go. Thank you for this information; we shall continue this meeting later. Oh and, er, tell Waery on your way out, have the shipyards begin constructing a warship. Need to put all those troublesome sailors back to work, before they destroy every tavern in the city."
He nodded as the man got to his feet, then watched the other two, the grey-robed man and the man with the crossbow-arm, with rapidly-fading attentiveness. "Now, you two. What exactly do you want?"

Refuse the SCTG's offer
Raise the shipping tax to a standard 10%
Make the tax on local industry only 10%, hopefully attracting more business and raising the public morale
Allow limited trade of arms and slaves, but at a 25% tax
Construct a Light Warship
Post copies of the aforementioned poster around the city and surrounding towns
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 24, 2011, 07:06:18 am »

Norm replys to Trubaldsome "I am a priest, yes, but not orthodox. Pagan. Anyway, I want to crown you, in an official ceremony, all that. It does not matter that you lack a crown.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 24, 2011, 08:49:24 am »

Norm had brought up a rather sore point for Trubaldsome. He had been... Rather upset by the realization the Mirish crown was nowhere to be found, and it had taken quite a while for him to get over it. Nevertheless, he quickly suppressed a scowl and responded to the priest, a slight edge to his voice,
"No need for a crown, you say? I am not sure how it is you knew, but indeed, a crown is something I lack."
He tilted his head, raising his brows slightly. "An official ceremony... Hmm, yes, that could be just the thing to strengthen my position!" His eyes darted about the room as he pondered this, muttering with a slow grin creeping onto his features.

Eventually he straightened up in his seat, reached under the table and produced a bottle of wine along with three glasses, pouring one for himself, the stranger with the crossbow-arm, and his newly-elected high priest.
"It shall be a grand ceremony indeed! I can see it now..." He relaxed back in his seat, closing his eyes as he imagined,
"The people cheering, the musicians playing, oh and perhaps Fenrir himself flying across the sky..."
He coughed, seemingly remembering himself as he looked at the priest somewhat sheepishly.
"Er, forget I said that. Anyway, I shall make you the official High-priest of the Kingdom, I suppose... What title would that be, exactly? I learnt some of the old faith from my dear old Father, but only a little."
He watched Norm, tapping his fingertips idly against his glass, his other guest going forgotten for now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 24, 2011, 09:56:16 am »

The Grand Master had been busy with stately matters as of late. He began to question his intentions of keeping the Ducky from Lord Terenos. Knavston was a soldier first, but perhaps this was only a test from God to ensure he was a well rounded in his skills.

He had heard back that Brother Amar would arrive soon to spread the word of God and Fire to Preston soon. He imagined that he would be able to begin in the Summertime, this pleased the Grand Master greatly.

Next an ambassador from the from a rather large trading company in the Storm Coast came to speak with him on rebuilding Preston in exchange for monopolies. The amount offered in investment was a tempting number, but he was cautious to accept full out monopolies from companies that did not follow the true faith especially when it might damage the church's own banking institution. Perhaps he could use his pull to better the crown's position. He sent them away graciously, giving them quarters in the Fortress if they desired for the near future while he pondered his decision.

He had settled in for the evening in his chambers. His chosen reading for the evening an old tome on the battles and victories of Preston. He drank a mug of water as he looked over the pages, reading of crushing victories and harrowing defeats. A loud banging on his chamber door raised his eyes from the pages with a start. The door opened with a creak and Sergeant Dietrich of his Personal Guard poked his head in.

“Sorry to bother you, Grand Master. A man's hear to see you, won't give his name but says it's urgent.”

Black frowned a moment as he pushed the book away and straightened his simple tunic, he was never one for looking overly lordly, but this would have to do. “Check him for weapons and bring him in.” One could never be too careful when meeting with strangers. Especially in a conquered land such as Preston. Dietrich nodded respectfully and left.

When all was say and done, the mysterious man (Who dressed like a merchant) was lead into Grand Master Black's chambers. “Sergeant, thank you. Leave us for a time.”
He stood to receive his guest and offered a chair across from his own. The table in between covered in maps and books. “I was not expecting any more guests this evening, so you will have to excuse the mess.” he motioned towards a small decanter, “It just has water I'm afraid, but you're more than welcome to a cup if you like.” He went back to his own seat and slid himself into it “So what's this about urgent business? I imagine you know me already. I'd have your name too, good sir.”

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:00 am »

"Thank you for your hospitality your Grace. I sincerely hope that the things I will speak to you about will remain within these walls. My name is Hans der Vries."

Hans tried to be as careful as possible. The last time he spilled informatin to someone it ended with him injuring his arm and risking his life. This should be different however. From what he heard, Grandmaster Black was a man of his word and abhorred the underhanded tactics of his peers at the court. He took two steps towards grandmaster and started to speak slowly and quietly.

"I am gravely concerned about the intentions of the trade guild that made a grand gesture towards you by offering you a deal recently. However, they seem intent on doing more than they show for it, and if you trust my word, you should refuse the deal. Unlike most people in this land, I know these people and I know how they operate. And they are intent on nothing more than reducing Mirish Coast, and later the territory inland, into an economic dependency of theirs and a colony."

Hans paused for a while, awaiting the response form the clergyman.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:29 am »

"Trubaldsome, my lord, I thank you very much. We do not need a crown, beacause a crown is merely a representation of the gods blessing and approval. Now, does the man who stole the crown have that? I think not.
" Now, in regards to church funding. Under normal circustances I would ask you for money. However, given the security situation, that is not possible. No money is requested.
" And finally, what to call myself... I believe High Priest is correct."

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 24, 2011, 10:31:58 am »

What skills do I have? Well I may be blind and be missing an arm but before that I served in the Elbrethian army, my squad was massacred and myself grievously wounded, I retired after months in the field hospital and traveled the wilderness of the Eelspine mountains for two years by myself despite being blind. With only my two pets, for company - you see the bird, it's a a spotter pigeon, squawks above any impeding danger, tells me right where they are. I've also discoverd the whereabouts of a missing noble using my tracking skills, it happend he was held captive by mountain folk known as the zimtar,whom I tamed war bears for and then helped the said noble escape, you'll receive proof of this when the stories start coming about.

So anyway, looking for more work I came to you, I could hunt down bandits, or track assassination targets, lead an archer regiment or tame beasties for use in the field, I'm sure you could find a use for me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:33:12 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:39 am »

Black listened to the merchant who identified himself as Hans, quietly and respectfully, allowing him to say his piece before he spoke up.

“You seem to be a well-informed man, Mr. Der Vries. I must confess I am not a merchant myself, but I must wonder is that not the goal of all those in business? Cornering the market? Their offer was very generous, but I'm not about to throw them the entire market of Preston without long and careful deliberation, especially to those who do not follow the True Faith. What other things would they plot to do here?”

Leaning back in his chair, he steepled his fingers and looked over Hans thoughtfully before speaking again,
“But I must ask you, whom do you represent? A rival guild perhaps? Come to make me a better offer?”

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 24, 2011, 12:19:10 pm »

"Your Grace, this might sound strange to you, But I'm one of the Storm Coast Guild. I'm a member of the Guild Hall in Vasir and I'm supposed to conduct business on their behalf."

Hans paused for a moment so that the information may sink in.

"The reason why I'm telling you all this is because I was duped and exploited by them. And Elbreth is just a pawn in their game. But this pawn will give them enough advantage to tip the scales in their favour. Its all about the conflict that is ongoing since the establishment of the Guild; The merchants and burhgers always fought with the princes and nobles of the Storm Coast, in bid to control the flow of goods across the seas and to liberate themselves form the noble rule. The divisions and the power game in the region meant stability, but at the cost of success in the last decades. But now with access to Elbreth the Guild may involve your kingdom in wars that will destroy this land"

As incredible as this tale was, Hans hoped that the truth in his words will come through to this man.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:58:58 pm by Ardas »

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 24, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »

Mi Lord if these are such dark times times would you not fell safer with another trained soldier by you side?
I do not ask mush only a bed and food and a few shillings a week.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 188