Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185481 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Winter 314)
« Reply #2340 on: August 18, 2011, 07:06:54 am »

*snip*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:24:13 am by Zako »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 18, 2011, 07:12:28 am »

*snip*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:50:56 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 18, 2011, 07:24:02 am »

Trubaldsome sat foward in his seat as Hans spoke, his elbow on the desk and chin resting in palm.
He narrowed his eyes thoughtfully as the man spoke, nodding a couple of times as he listened, plainly interested.
When Hans was finished, he straightened up, 'hmm'ed a couple of times, drummed his fingers on the desk and glanced out through the barred window, then finally spoke, with an aggrieved sigh. "Yes yes, it is a very fine idea, I am sure, but one that would have me thrown out of this castle by the masses quicker than one could snap their fingers." He snapped his fingers, apparently for emphasis.
"You saw, just now, how I spoke to them? The peasants? I rallied them up against the Elbrethian oppressors? You saw the hatred burning in their dull little eyes?" He shook his head regretfully. "I am afraid, after recent events, they hate everything to do with Elbreth; my speech just now has only compounded the matter. I'd look a fool if I were to change my mind now!" He struck a palm on the desk for emphasis, then slouched back in his chair, looking rather tired.
"I do appreciate the offer, however. It does sound rather lucrative." He sniffed at his lace-covered shirt cuff a couple of times for inspiration, then looked back to Hans, his eyes narrowing in consideration.
"Perhaps... Perhaps, if both our friend Sir Taric, and that madman Terenos were... 'Removed' from the picture, the two Kingdoms could forgive and forget, my people satisfied that those most hated figures got what they deserved, and those of Elbreth understanding the two were in the wrong to attack me."
A slow grin was creeping across his features now, his head nodding and eyes wide with excitement as he stared into the middle distance.
"Yes... Yes, well, we shall see what happens, hmm?" Abruptly, the eager light in his eyes dimmed, and he signalled curtly for Waery to open the door. "Well, it has been nice chatting, er... Hans," He wave a hand and nodded disinterestedly, "But now I feel it's time for a quick nap before those bastards out there attack. We shall see what comes of your proposal, yes? Perhaps you should talk to yl Marchis, he should be around here someplace. He's from the, ah, Storm Coast as well, you know. "
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 18, 2011, 07:43:18 am »

"Thank you for your time my lord. Its good you considered my proposal. Shame about the peasants and all, but I'm sure you will think of something."

Hans left the chamber in search of said yl Marchis. He knew the name from the Duchy of Vasir, but he knew little of them. Constant travels left little time for local politics.  Except for now.
Nonetheles, if that person knew anything about trade and had money, business was to be made.

Try to find yl Marchis and speak to him about trade.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:04:49 am by Ardas »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:50 am »

Aulon lounged on a cushioned chair in the quarters Trubaldsome had lended him, a plate of roasted boar waiting for him on the table. It was hard to believe they were under siege. But then, it had only began and they still had the port. They'd have to run out of money before they could run out of food.

He was entertaining the thought of writing to his father for help. Any troops would most likely arrive late, but they could also be used to make sure Trubaldsome sticked to his end of the bargain and built those ships. If Father agreed, naturally. You could never know with him. Aulon sighed, pulling himself up from the chair. It was probably unnecessary in any case.

There was a knock on his door, and Asate pulled it open. His bodyguard fixed the new arrival with a glare and studied him for any sign of danger, then let him in.

'Yes?' Aulon asked. 'Who are you? What do you want?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 18, 2011, 08:40:31 am »

"My lord, my name is Hans van der Vries, and I was told by Lord trubaldsome to speak to you about a small arrangement that i offered to him. I'm a member of the Storm Coast Trade Guild and my proposal could enrich not only Miring, but also much more for you and Lord Trubaldsome.."

Hans then begun explaining the affair to Aulon. Hans saw that Aulon caught on quicker than Trubaldsome, seeing how this sort of arrangemnts and the trade lingo weren't unfamiliar to this young member of Storm Coast nobility.

"So you see lord, if Miring could be made autonomous, and the trade arrangements made, then your ability to project power over Elbreth would be both great and unseen. nonetheless, these arrangments rest upon the assumption of current situation resolving peacefully."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 18, 2011, 08:56:29 am »

Once Hans had finished, Aulon forced something resembling a smile to his lips. He played with an intricate silver chalice on the table. The engravings on it, decipting Old Miring's glorious victories, were the work of a master artisan. It was a remnant of a much greater past for the little kingdom.

'Err. Yes, very interesting. If you excuse me, I need to discuss some things with the King. I, err... Asate will guide you out.' Aulon mumbled, then stormed out.

When he thought he was safely out of hearing range, the young lord let out a series of imaginative curses directed at the merchant class of his homeland. This fool of a trader had just stomped into his rooms and explained in detail a plan which would both make the deal he'd forged with Trubaldsome unnecessary and possibly create a rival here in Miring for his House and their allies. And he'd already spoken with Trubaldsome. Aulon hoped the man hadn't been foolish enough to agree straight away. He'd promised Father a monopoly, he'd promised Father a king dependant on their help. He wouldn't let some traitorous little wretch stop him.

Panting, Aulon finally reached Trubaldsome's quarters. He hadn't realized he'd nearly been running.

'My friend?' Aulon called. 'I have urgent news for you!'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:58 am »

Trubaldsome, who had been lounging lazily back in his chair with his feet up on the desk, half-asleep, grunted and sat up in surprise as he heard a voice outside the door. He frowned, and nodded to Waery, who opened the door to admit the man.
Trubaldsome stood up, tilting his head. His feathered hat sat on his desk, beside a pile of parchment and a plate of half-eaten biscuits. "What is it?" He demanded, watching Aulon uncertainly. He hadn't heard any general sounds of alarm, but... His mind raced.
"Are they here?! Are they attacking? What is it?!" He fished out his snuffbox to calm his frazzled nerves as he listened, brow furrowed in alarm.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:08:14 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:15 am »

"Well, that was strange." Hans left the chambers after Aulon stromed out. There was something weird going on, least of all was Trubaldsome's insane actions against Elbreth. And whatever else was here meant that plan was as likely to fail, with Trubaldsome's lack of definitive agreement. That didn't mean that the effort will go to waste, and if that bufoon Trubaldsome still can be persuaded, then who knows...

After all, money was the sole objective for Hans, at least or now, and if those two could not agree, business can be taken to Elbreth. A good merchant always finds an opportunity anywhere, and Elbrethian Crown will definitely be interested in another source of revenue. Thoughts like that and more were making their way thourgh Hans's head as he headed back to his office to plan out another trade expedition.

Head back to the city to office and begin working out another trade route.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:27 am »

Aulon strode into the room and headed over to place a hand on Trubaldsome's shoulder. His mind was racing, thinking up how to do this.

'Listen - I've discovered a spy inside the castle. We need to act quickly, so no time for questions.' he spoke quickly, throwing nervous glances all over the room. 'I, uhh... I haven't seen his face, but I know he's been inside your quarters quite recently, 'scouting out the target area'. So we.... err... we need to act quickly, because he's very smart.'

He paused for breath. 'Think, my friend, think. Who's visited you recently? Who's been here with you?'

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 18, 2011, 09:16:49 am »

Quote from: Sir Joseph
To Weyland!

[4] You make your way into Weyland, crossing the border without incident.  It looks like the king's scouts aren't actively searching for you right now.  [3] You try to get your bearings and happen upon a small village where you ask for directions.  The villagers do not have much to tell you beyond that they are part of Manskinner's rule now.  Since you look like a soldier, they tell you that if you were looking for a new master you should head north and consult with his Steward, Dr McJohnston.

Quote from: Kain
Later interrogate the Ztah and Others unpolitely.
Find out where the Ztah are hiding and what is up with the others.

[1+1] You are very unpolite with the surviving Ztahren.  A little too unpolite, as you end up beating one of them to within an inch of his life before he can tell you anything of worth, whilst the other actually manages to kill himself.  [5] Your resident physician brings the survivor back around and quite efficiently cauterises the stumps of his wrists when you remove his hands.  You equip him with a nosebag full of grain and nail a satchel into his shoulder containing Zacmar's head, then send some men to take him to the border and release him.

[1+1] You would think that this example would inspire the other prisoners to be more talkative.  Oh no.  One of them actually bites his own tongue off during the proceedings and the rest either expire or go insane.  All you get is a name; "Sir Joseph".

Quote from: King Erik
King Erik's Regiment will try to draw the bandits out of their defensive structure by parading in front of the wagon circle and having the King issue a demand for surrender, with an offer of mercy (this will be kept if they do surrender). If the bandits are drawn out of the wagon circle and do not surrender then Kain's regiment will charge from the side, enacting a forced route, while Zandor's villagers are ordered to circle around and try to either capture the defensive wagon circle or otherwise flank the bandits and prevent a retreat.

If we fail to draw the bandits from their position, Erik and Zandor's regiment will both attack the bandits while conserving their forces. Meanwhile, Kain's regiment will attempt to flank the wagon circle from the opposite side. It's at Kain's discretion if he wants to add to the difficulty of the maneuver by scaling the walls.

[5] The first part of the ploy works rather well.  Seeing your rather meagre force, the bandit knights come out in force - probably to capture you for slaves.  [1] Almost certainly, as they do not wait for you to finish your surrender offer before attacking.

Bandits: 1 Heavy Raider regiment
King: 3 Infantry Regiments

Tactics:  Since a forced rout would be pointless against a single regiment, Zandor's men attempt to pull off the flanking manoeuvre [Req 5, Roll 5] to great success despite their inexperience.  The bandit knights find themselves under attack from three sides - the King, Kain and Zandor alike.

Fight:  2+2 vs 4+3+1 - Crushing Victory (Heavy Raiders destroyed!)

The pincer strike works to great effect, with even the untrained peasant mob serving themselves well in the fight.  Casualties are minimal, whilst most of the bandit knights are slain or surrender when the fight turns completely against them.  The survivors are now at the king's mercy and the province is just that little bit safer once more.

[1+1] Despite the vigour of the battle, the exercise puts strain on muscles unused for the better part of a year.  Several muscles have been pulled in Erik's sword arm and mangled hand, which will interfere with his attempts to regain use of it.  [-10 Swordplay points]

Quote from: Jormund
Look into if there's any more gold or a resource on the land since it seemed so plentiful before.

[2-3]  Sadly, it appears that the very last of the gold has all been mined out.  Well, it was good whilst it lasted.

Quote from: Mahtan
Leave the monkey in Lilith's care as I throw off my jacket and brave the fires, seeing as I'm pretty much resistant to fire since I keep surviving explosions.  Tell them to find a way to escape.

[2] Lilith, the stupid girl, insists on accompanying you.  The gigolo could take you or leave you but figures he's safer with you than on his own.  [1]  This proves somewhat ill-decided, as you get through the door with them just in time for the doorway to collapse, trapping you in a burning building.  You also take this time to notice the fifty heavily armed and armoured men trapped with you.  Fantastic.

At least the prostitute seems pleased by the prospect.

Quote from: McJohnston
Send a messenger to the Munros, try to smooth things out with them and attempt to create a temporary alliance to take down the McKinleys. If they agree, and if the McKinleys are destroyed, they can have half the land.
Raise a heavy ambush regiment.

You raise your regiment (1d remaining in the Treasury) and send a messenger to the Munros, seeking to divide and conquer.  [1] Three days later, his head is hurled over the border.  Looks like the Munros don't intend on playing ball.

Quote from: a'Valti
Continue to the Storm Coast port Yalasan was originally headed to, dump the cargo, rechristen the ship Night Runner, look into the costs of any goods we can leave with. Dump the crew that doesn't want to stay with us, make nice with the locals (aka, find myself some contacts, both legit and not so much)

You head to Vasir, [6] making downright excellent time.  Looks like the Bright One is still with you.  You take a look at the market and see that Tin is fetching a price of [6+1] 4 Ducats/shipment, a thoroughly impressive return!  You shift both shipments for 8 Ducats and take stock of the port.  Vasir's main exports are Flax, Grain and Wine, so you'd probably get a good deal on them here.

In any case, you ditch the complainers and take on some fresh crew.

Quote from: Ehndras
Guard Jormund and help in the search for valuable resources on the land, while awaiting the chance to recruit men to replace those lost in the tribals' battle.

The search proves fruitless.  Hopefully spring will roll around soon enough.  Whilst the others are busy you are encouraged to take walks with a cane to help improve your healing.  These walks sometimes take you quite far south of the valley and on one occasion you see what looks like an Elbrethan soldier, wandering alone towards the Steward's camp.

Ehndras encounters Sir Joseph.

Quote from: Locanil
Teach that boy!

[6] Your initial efforts to teach the child go a little overboard as you try to give him a crash course in advanced syntax and grammar.  He is rather lost in all of this, so you end up just giving him a basic grounding in vocabulary.  [Progress 1, Time 1]  [4] Once he becomes more familiar with your teaching style, it is easy enough for you to prepare him for more advanced lessons and by Winter's end he is if not fluent then at least capable with Ztahren.  [Progress 3, Time 0]

Satisfied with your progress, the noble pays you the 1 Ducat outstanding.

It is not long after you complete your work that you hear a rumour about Lady Drua's intend to go exploring in the new year.  Since work is drying up here, you might consider seeking her out and offering assistance in the voyage.

Quote from: Ludwig
Go around town and ask the alchemical, scholar, exploration guilds about where one might find such people as Drua or Mahtan.

[4] Nobody has seen Mahtan in weeks.  Most people thought he was just locked in his room, but apparently he has disappeared completely.  The last rumours about him say something about him sleeping with two prostitutes, but that's all.  [5] Lady Drua's location is much better known.  She is presently sorting out a pending expedition to foreign lands to map them out for the glory of the kingdom.  You might be able to catch her before she leaves, or even offer your assistance.

Quote from: Meng
Try to analyze the corpse for cause of death, feel for tooth marks or wounds from weapons, then follow any tracks leading away from the scene and pursue the attacker, Buster should be helpful here and also keep a bolt notched into your crossbow which can be released immediately.

[6] You examine the human hand (the corpse is elsewhere, and the rushing of the river makes it impossible to track by smell right now).  Yes, definitely bite marks.  Fresh, probably made whilst the subject was still alive.  They definitely feel like... uh, dog bites.  You smell fresh blood on Buster's teeth.

Gods damn it.

Quote from: Zimtar
Send out a regiment armed with swords and shortbows to capture the man with the bird and dog some one should yell out to "stop and come peacefully we don't want to kill you"

[2] It is quite difficult to conceal the sound of a full regiment, huntsmen or not, if they are not trained scouts.  The quarry tries to hurry to cover and hide [1 vs 2] but is unsuccessful - the clansmen are quite capable of keeping up with him.  They corner Meng in the ravine and call out for him to come out peacefully, but they are quite armed.

Quote from: The Mask
Jon begins to search for contacts and news. He begins with the dungeons and newly convicted as well as those sentenced to death.

Jon doesn't learn much or find much in the way of useful contacts.  Beyond general news about the ongoing status of the war (there is some understanding that it was successful, but not much more than that), all you learn about it a barfight that turned into battle and news of the King going out to crush some bandits - a rather fruitless piece of knowledge seeing as you were actually there when it happened.

Quote from: Trubaldsome
Go out onto the walls, dressed in fairly simple clothes, and make a big speech (shouting so as to be heard by those in the city) to inspire both my soldiers and the peasants, hopefully inciting the latter to arm themselves and join in the fight against Taric's forces.
Then go up onto a higher part of the walls (perhaps the walls of the inner keep, if I have an inner keep...) and command the battle from there. Military orders: Very simple, really, with the drawbridge raised Taric's only way in is the walls, and he has no archers, so simply have my longbowmen pepper anyone making their way up the walls full of arrows, with Aulon's pikemen ready to deal with any who get close. Oh, and have the kitchen staff dump boiling water and food scraps over their heads.

[4+1] Your speech might not be elegant, but it plays to the crowd.  Peasants grab carving knives and cleavers, and whilst they are by no means a real force, they are enough to provide dangerous distraction to Sir Taric's regiments (-1 to Taric's roll).

Tactics:  The Crown Infantry make a desperate attempt to scale the walls, [Req 5, Roll 5] succeeding in obtaining or creating makeshift ladders to try and mount them.  They are lucky enough to negate the advantage of the Castle for this fight.

Elbreth:  3 Crown Infantry.  -1 from Peasant Uprising
Miring:  1 Longbowmen, 1 Pikemen.  Castle (+3)

Battle:  1+3-1 vs 6+3+1  -  Crushing Victory to Miring (2 Crown Regiments destroyed)

A horn is blown and as one the Royal Infantry charge the castle, scaling the walls on high ladders and braving the boiling water and scraps thrown down upon them.  Nevertheless, Trubaldsome's men prove their worth as Captain Waery leads them to bring volley after volley down upon the attacking troops.  Even when the attackers reach the parapets, yl Marchis' pikemen form tight ranks and drive them off to their deaths.  After an hour of furious fighting the survivors of the Crown army retreat back to the streets.  Losses have been minimal and the Mirish forces have won the day.

For now.  A mere five days later, Taric himself arrives with an additional two regiments under his command.  Somehow you don't think you'll be able to pull off another peasant rally to distract his troops, either.

Elbreth's Forces in Miring:  3 Crown Infantry under Taric
Miring's Forces:  1 Longbowmen, 1 Pikemen.  Castle.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27:33 am »

Trubaldsome stiffened, his mouth going dry. "A spy?" His voice was a croak. He trembled slightly, went to put his snuffbox down, then thought better of it and had another pinch.
After that, he felt a little more capable of speech.
"How do you know? I... How could they get in here?!" His frightened eyes darted about the room, seemingly scanning ever nook and cranny for a lurking assassin. He turned, opened a cupboard and pulled out the long, thin case containing his longsword, stroking the surface for a moment for comfort, before strapping it around his waist.
"Er... I don't know! There was, ah... That fellow, the merchant. Not sure what he was d-doing here..."
The young, panicking King squinted his eyes in concentration for a moment, trying to calm down enough to focus.
"Er, er... Named Hand or something... Ah!" He opened his eyes, looking sharply at Aulon.
"That's right, he was from the Sword... Storm Coast, too! How do I know you are not also a spy?!"
His crazed eyes widened at the thought, and it was only the timely intervention of Waery that prevented him doing something disastrous. "Ah, M'Lord? I think ye be meanin' that Hans fellow, was in here before, aye?"
The stoic captain was standing to Aulon's shoulder, appearing rather unperturbed by the whole thing.
Trubaldsome settled down a little, his hand moving away from the sword at his side to fidget uneasily before him.
"Yes... Yes." He nodded, then looked to Aulon again, a little less panicked now. "He is a spy, you say? How do you know? All he did was ask about--" At that moment, there were cries of alarm from out in the corridoor, and Trubaldsome flinched.
"Sounds like they're attackin', M'Lord." Waery was, it seemed, a true master of stating the obvious.
After a moment's hesitation, Trubaldsome swallowed heavily and nodded, heading out of the room with Waery.
"Had best get out there... Spies can wait."
Booze is Life for Yoink

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 18, 2011, 09:45:06 am »

Meng ducks behind a rock and presses his back against it, these men were armed and coming after him, goddammit! This wasn't like his days in the army at all, never was he alone when fighting foes. And the chances are these people were just the one's he was looking for - the bogeymen. Meng calls out:

"Who are you and what do you want?"

OOC: Noah, did you send a whole regiment after me or just a small group? If so how large? I mean even a blind guy should be able to know how many people are after him.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 18, 2011, 09:51:07 am »

After the battle:

Mask walks among the soldiers, looking them over. He personally had stayed out of the fight, looking over it from up a nearby tree. They had sustained little injury and losses during the fight, due to the excellent tatics and moving of the troops. Clearly these people had some idea of what they were doing. It was a good idea to join this kingdom. As he passed by a wagon, he heard a falcon's cry and looked up. Seeing the decending falcon, he pulled out a bone whistle and blew a sharp note and held his gloved hand up. The falcon landed and obediently stuck it's leg out, letting him take the message from the tube tied to it's leg.

"Hmmmm... A bar fight turning into a battle... Sounds promising, but I had best move fast."

Pulling our a sharpened charcoal stick and flipping the scroll of paper over, he wrote down the following:

Track whoever is responsible down. He has most likely, after such a scene with the royal guard nonetheless, made an attempt to leave the kingdom, if he has not succeeded already. Find out his description from any witnesses involved and send out a bounty on his head to the borders via messenger. Make sure to send a message to the manskinner about this.

He rolled the scroll back up and tucked it back into the bird's message tube and threw the bird back into the sky, to return to it's master. The Mask then hurried back to his horse, mounting it quickly.

"Sire, my duty requires me to head back to the city immediately. An opportunity has arised and I must hurry if I am to take advantage of it."

The Mask looks over the troops for a final time, waving a hand to the king and his forces as he turns to ride as fast as he can back to town. Time is fleeting, and this bar fight looks like an opportunity too good to miss.

Jon investigates the bar fight further, trying to get both a name and a description of the man's face and clothes. If successful, he gets a scribe to make posters and he sends these to the borders with the promise of a reward.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 18, 2011, 09:52:25 am »

Trubaldsome stood on the wall, leaning his hands on the battlements as he looked out over the battle-scarred heart of his city, the sun setting in the distance.
"Well," He remarked to no-one in particular, "I did tell you this was a good castle."
He absently patted a hand on the stone of the wall, as one might a pet. He watched the once-great city, noting the frequent flashes of movement between buildings as the Elbrethian soldiers moved about, occasionally scuffling with the citizenry who threw stones, dead fish and other assorted debris.
He straightened up, tugging his coat about him for warmth. "Do you think they'll try again, Waery?" He said, turning to face his ever-present bodyguard, who shrugged. "I think so, M'Lord. Been more of 'em arrivin' after th' battle, I think."
Trubaldsome grimaced and shook his head, frowning. "Agh, I hope not. We seemed to win quite a victory today... Why would they want to throw away more men?!" He sounded slightly frantic, but then sighed and resumed his bored vigil.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 188