Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185666 times)

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Players welcome.)
« Reply #1980 on: August 14, 2011, 06:51:07 am »

((Yeah, I've changed it to bandits now, so you can respond to me when you're ready))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:23 am »

((well that went poorly, was hoping for a better bonus than 1. BAH this was a lunatic idea to being with))

"Good to know everyone here would rather sit here and get sunk by a royal navy. d'Avistral couldn't care less about us, and actively tried to turn us into chum"

Are there -any- crew that would stand with me at this point? If yes, try to get them to assist in slitting the captain's throat in his sleep. And throw the first mate overboard. If no, do it anyway!

[5]  It isn't a complete disaster.  Three crewmates are loyal enough to you to support you in this course of action, even if the majority of the crew is likely to be against you.  They opt to assist you in sneaking into the captain's chambers.

[5]  You get lucky.  Ohhh so lucky.  The captain and first mate have been drinking tonight and, whilst the first mate is not around the captain is snoring like a dead man.  [1]  None of you have any experience picking locks, so you force the door.  This makes a lot of noise.  Not enough to wake the captain, but someone is bound to have heard that.  [1]  You rush toward the captain to finish him, but one of your companions trips on the fine Malchorian rug on the floor and smacks straight onto the deck, waking the captain up.  [6]  None of you are armoured, so you rush towards him before he can draw his sword.  It works, but you leave your companions behind for the first round of combat.  [6]  From the distant sound of running feet, it doesn't seem this situation will explode until nearly a full minute away (6 rounds).

Tearakudo:  +1 Weapon.  3/3hp
Captain:  No advantages.  3/3hp

[1+1 vs 2]  You leap onto the table, slashing down across the Captain's face.  He lets out a roar of pain and anger and reaps you at the knees with one meaty arm.  You fall hard on the table, and as you fall one of those message spike affairs jams into your leg.  It hurts like a bitch.  [Tearakudo 2hp, Captain 2hp]

The captain draws his cutlass and your companions arrive, granting him a +1 Weapon bonus and you a +1 Guard bonus.

[6+2 vs 4+1]  You pull back a little, letting your companions mob the captain whilst you pull the message spike out of your leg.  The captain fights back viciously but suffers several deep gashes to the arms and legs.  [Captain 1hp]

[4+2 vs 5+1]  You dive in for the kill, but the captain flicks his sword out in time.  The cutlass slashes straight across your cheek and brow and blood flows freely into one eye.  You continue your thrust, plunging your own blade into the captain's chest.  You wrench it out and kick the captain to the ground.  [Tearakudo 4hp]

You have a little time to prepare before the first mate and a mob of crewmen arrive, so you wrap a handkerchief around your bloodied leg and wipe some of the blood from your eye.

First Mate:  +1 Weapon, +1 Numbers.  4/4hp

[5+2 vs 6+2]  The number advantage pays off for the first mate, rushing your men as they use the captain's desk for a measure of cover.  You nick a few torsos with your sword but one of your allies goes down almost immediately.  [Tearakudo 3hp]

[4+2 vs 3+2]  You leap onto the desk and, taking advantage of the higher ground, hack inexpertly downward at the mass of crewmen below you.  Heads split, shoulders sever.  [First Mate 3hp]

[3+2 vs 6+2]  The first mate leaps onto the desk with you whilst your companions try to hold off the throng.  The first mate kicks you in the gut, bringing his sword down to finish you.  You turn at the last moment, but the blade draws a long gash down your arm.  [Tearakudo 2hp]

[5+2 vs 5+2]  You keep struggling, the duel turning into a bloodbath as both of you try to dodge and sever one another, barely cognisant of the rest of the battle.  [Tearakudo 1hp, First Mate 2hp]

[6+2 vs 3+2]  Just when the first mate's victory seems certain, his footing slips.  You kick him off the desk and he crashes into the mob of his supporters.  [First Mate 1hp]

[1+2]  The first mate struggles back to his feet and slams his cutlass into your calf like a cleaver.  You let out a wail and tumble to the ground... [vs 1+2] but combine your fall with a powerful stroke, driving your cutlass through the first mate's throat.

You can feel the blood loss taking you, but your two companions haul you up by the shoulders.  You have just enough time to tell the crew in no uncertain terms that you are in charge and that you will not be sticking around to get killed by Mirish incompetence before you completely black out.

[5]  You awake some time later in the captain's chambers.  Your two loyal companions are standing guard over you whilst the ship's doctor/carpenter is changing your many dressings.  You lift one hand to your eye.  Damn it.  Eyepatch, and you can feel the long scar across your face to boot.  You heft yourself up a little bit further and take a monocular look at your leg.  Peg-leg.  Fantastic.

On the other hand, at least you're in charge now.

Tearakudo has gained control of a Suulian Privateer Sloop (warship, oarbanks, sea raider).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:12:24 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:37 am »

(( Arr! Ye be a real pirate now, laddie! ))
(( Post to come, I just had to say that. :P ))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1983 on: August 14, 2011, 07:18:43 am »

((whistles, so is thatkid handling my stuff or are you just waiting for the battles to be over?))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: August 14, 2011, 07:20:03 am »

Jormund is getting seriously frustrated that the land still isn't yielding to him, but there's not much he can do about it at this point. He decides he might as well wait until he can get some help with it, but in the meantime see if there's other ways of learning about tactics.

Wait and see if there's any way of getting help with the land. Also, see if he can learn anything else about tactics without the help of the veteran.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1985 on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:17 am »

Continue making maps, but ensure that I have copies of all of them. Except the forbidden ones of course. Try to memorize those.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:39 am »

Trubaldsome looked over the man thoughtfully, his expression unreadable, although he was a little disappointed. He thought to himself, 'Why can't all physicians and the like be attractive females?' then gestured Waery towards the exit.
"Leave us for a moment, Waery, I must talk to the doctor. Keep an eye on this circus of a camp, hm?"
Waery nodded and stepped out into the night, the tent flap falling back into place. He stands watch outside Trubaldsome's tent, keeping an eye on the camp and, more importantly, any women walking by.
Back inside, the young lord was speaking, watching the doctor closely from his seat. "Now, Doctor... What was your name, again? I believe those of your profession observe a high degree of confidentiality, correct? And you are aware the consequences of breaking said confidentiality would be markedly higher when the patient is of royal blood?"
He paused, one hand rubbing thoughtfully at his chin as he let his words sink in.
"I have a rather delicate issue, one that the best apocathery back in Elbreth failed to find me a cure for. You are not to breath a word of it outside of this tent."
Trubaldsome took a quick, calming pinch of snuff before describing the issue, frowning worriedly.

Trubaldsome has the doctor examine his ailment, and attempt to find a cure. Also, find out his name...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1987 on: August 14, 2011, 07:40:49 am »

"I have a rather delicate issue, one that the best apocathery back in Elbreth failed to find me a cure for. You are not to breath a word of it outside of this tent."

((Psh no, the best was busy not checking out your junk.  and yes I'm still assuming your condition is venereal))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:03 am »

((darnit scanned 50 pages of posts and still couldn't find the Jormungundists...who are those guys again? anyway...time for some backstory for my character)

Corv and his men had settled into an old cellar of some Jormungundist radical. It had almost gone to easy with those guys. They were aching for freedom and Corv intended to give it to him. Pretending to be a fellow follower wasn't even necessary up to now as the Jormungundists didn't seem to have the luxury to be picky about allies and so wasn't Corv.

a different time, a different place

always remember son, in lands like these the priests and the pious are our best clients.

the enormous man stroked his red-dyed beard as they reached the city gates. The young Corvin Bockcrow was trotting next to his fathers while he continued his lecture.

The Pious might be the best buyer but he is also the most demanding one. Many of them expect you to follow their beliefs, so be always ready to recite one or two passages of their holy writings.

Yes, father.

pay the radicals teh 2 ducats and use my men to drill them. Send out some of the radicals to preach about the old gods and stir up the populace...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:14 am »

No, I just missed the post when I was doing the summary.

Arrive at the collector's son estate. and join in on whatever game he's currently playing, using whatever small amount I have left.  Keep Lilith in plain view.

Lilith will be playing the role of my sister, Gunther my man servant.  I will be playing the role as a minor noble from Preston, who has lost most of his riches from gambling, because "He's not very good" *wink*.

You introduce yourself as a minor Prestoner noble, casually mentioning your fondness of playing dice and bemoaning your fortunes.  [4]  The collector's son, Malcolm von Retter, laughs and admits himself to be a kindred spirit.  He responds favourably to your suggestion of a game of dice.

You have 25 shillings in pocket money.  Malcolm probably has that much or slightly more on hand.  Your best bet would be to try and gamble him until he's out of pocket.  You agree to play a game of 'seventeen', where the goal is to reach or get as close to seventeen without going to eighteen or over.  Doubles on the first throw win unless a pair of doubles are rolled (in which case the higher pair wins).  Double six is the only way to win on an eighteen.  You bet in increments of five.

[Pot: 10s, pocket 20s]
[4+6]  As guest, you get to pick whether to roll or stay on the first round.  You're safe, so you raise the pot by 5 and roll a 1, bringing your total to 11.  Malcolm tosses another 5 into the pot and rolls.  Your luck is holding, so you throw another 5 into the pot and roll a 6, taking you straight to seventeen.  Malcolm adds another 5 to the pot and rolls again.  Since you are at seventeen, you raise the pot by a final 5 and challenge him to do the same.  Malcolm doesn't seem terribly confident about this, so he bows out of the round.  You take the pot of 25, bringing your pocket up to 40s.  Neither of you have to reveal your rolls.

[6+6]  Malcolm lost, so he picks whether to roll or stay on this round.  He throws 5 into the pot and rolls again.  It's a risk, but you throw 5 in and opt to roll, getting a 1.  Malcolm throws in another 5 and rolls.  It's even riskier at 13, but you add another 5 to the pot to keep up with the roll; you get a 6.  Malcolm adds another 5 to roll, but you've lost anyway so you forfeit.  Your pocket drops to 25 again.

[3+1]  As loser, you get to opt whether to roll.  You do so, adding another 5 to the pot and rolling a 3.  Malcolm takes the bet and rolls again.  You're very safe, so you throw in another 5 and roll again, getting a 4.  Malcolm appears to be on a knife edge as to whether to continue, but here you can tell his gambling addiction is pushing him on.  He throws in another 5 and rolls, cursing loudly at whatever his roll was.  You bet and roll again, but Malcolm folds.  Your pocket replenishes to 40 once more.

[1+6]  Malcolm throws 5 in and rolls.  You can keep pace and so bet and roll a 2.  Malcolm bets, rolls.  He seems pretty happy about the roll.  You're still safe, so you bet and roll again, getting you a 4.  You're at thirteen now.  Malcolm bets and rolls and he seems deliriously happy about the roll, but you've still a fair chance of surviving this.  You bet and roll again, getting a 2.  Dangerously close now.  Malcolm bets, rolls again.  It's too dangerous to keep betting, so you fold.  Your pocket drops to 20.

[6+5]  You're pretty close this time, so you opt to bet and roll, getting a 2.  Malcolm matches and rolls.  You decide you can risk it, so you roll again, getting a 2.  Fifteen now.  Malcolm bets and rolls.  Close as you are, it isn't worth the risk, so you raise the pot and ask him to match it.  He growls slightly and folds.  Your pocket rises to 35.

Malcolm casually suggests raising the bet to increments of ten.  It's a risk, but you're inclined to agree, though you note that you don't have an even amount.  He says he's willing to let you get a few shillings in debt without a problem.

[5+4]  Malcolm makes his bet of 10 and rolls.  You can match it, so you do so as well and get a 3.  Malcolm bets and rolls, and risky as it might be you take a shot and roll a 3.  You're at 15 now.  Malcolm raises the bet and asks you to show your dice.  You're pretty secure, so you go ahead with it.  Turns out you both have fifteen, so the pot is split and it's called as a draw.

[3+1]  Malcolm still gets to start, so he raises and rolls.  You do the same, getting a 5.  Malcolm rolls again and you match him, rolling a 1.  Malcolm seems to be staring at his dice with a haunted expression.  He bites his lip.  (Will save: 2)  Apparently against his better judgement, Malcolm bets and rolls again.  His face drains.  You are safe, so bet and roll a 2.  Malcolm forfeits rather than continue, letting you take the pot and bringing your pocket up to 75.

"That's it!" Malcolm shouts, simultaneously giddy and frustrated.  "All or nothing on this one.  We bet the whole purse and we have to show rolls at the end.  That's a whole ducat on my end, and I'll even throw in something from the collection if I lose.  Can you match that, huh?"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:58:06 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:05 am »

"Ah, Finally my own working space". Hans set about cleaning (that is ordering hired people) the office and organising the warehouse. The entire war thing meant that infrasctructure was dirt cheap and people were fighting for spot in a queue to the foreman. Unfortunately money had to be made quick, because the guild wasn't as generous to him as to the other traders.
For now though, it was time to dip into the pool of luxuries that were still abound in Miring, but made worthless by the unrest. You can't feed your family with a silken dress after all.
Wholesale purchase of every bit of silver, furs, and fabric that Miring had at a lowest possible price and shipping back to Storm Coast was going to be quite profitable tough. Even with the duties on these goods the price difference will turn up a fat profit. Return voyage will bring grain and some "metal hardware" hidden within the wheat shipment. The guild members were not strangers to such tactics, and semi-"legal" supplies were usually one of the most profitable goods that any guild merchant usually traded in.
But while the situation in home ports was familiar to Hans, he figured out that certain palms in Miring will have to be greased sooner or later, if the "hardware" shipments are to become a regular trade good.

But all of this cannot be done single-handedly. He needed help. Soemeone who could run the shipment lane or stay behind in Miring and oversee the office and warehouse. And this someone was Marvin, a young, penniles scribe that Hans hired and befriended to work in his office as a secretary. He trusted the lad, he knew he was a good soul. His parents dissapeared during the unrest and he had a younger sister that he took care of and cared for very much. Such person was quite unlikely to leave the work behind or cheat. Hans knew he was leaving his operations in Miring in good hands.

"So my boy, how is your sister, doing? Is she feeling better?" Hans was sitting at his oak desk by the window, mmking various notes ahead of his travel.
"Oh, she is fine sir, thank you." Marving was organising papers and cleaning the dusty desks.
"I wanted to ask you, how would you like a bit more responsibility?"
"I would like that very much sir. What do you have in mind?"
"Well, I am going to prepare the goods we've purchased and sail back home. This is a usual trading run, nothing special for me. But for you, my boy, this means being in charge of the business here."
"Really? Wow, that is a lot of work. But I will manage, you can trust me sir."

Organise a wholesale purchase of luxuries for the Storm Coast (2 ducats, unless otherwise stated) and set for a trading run with "grain" shipment on the voyage back(pay back the credit when at home). Leave Marvin in charge of the premises.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:01:06 am by Ardas »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:03 am »

Alright, I've listed most of the named characters in the game - that's about 39 characters, in case you were wondering - but I have missed some characters, especially ones related to Ghazkull's exploits in the Highlands. I'd appreciate any help.

I think I'll start work on the actual story tomorrow. I only know the basics of Storybook, so I'll have to learn how to manage the scenes and such first.

EDIT: Also. STORM COAAAAST, NOT SWORD COAAAAAST *sobs*

EDIT2: Worked a little on the scenes and such, got to page 14. I dread for the part with the Taric-Trubaldsome battles and such. The timeline only vaguely makes sense right now, I don't want to think how I'll do all that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:48:52 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: August 14, 2011, 09:51:37 am »

Dude, it took me two whole DAYS to read this thing. Wow. There is so many epic moments going on in this thing, that I don't even really know how on earth I could keep up with this thing if I joined.

Just going to list some highlights that really stood out for me, just for those people who haven't really read the whole thing:

The diplomat turned assassin turned escape artist stealing the war plans.
Said diplomat and 3 guards kicking serious amounts of ass soon after.
The reveal of the mastermind. (Holy shit... I never even saw that one coming!)
Taric the demon slayer.
The close call of the king.
3 men and an apothecary vs an army.
Mutiny on the pirate ship.
The backstabbing between a noble and the general while the king was away. (Bastardry at its best!)
The mental conditioning of poor Erika.
Taric comes looking for a certain mad noble.
The prison chase. (Run Mahtan, RUN!)

and finally,

Mahtan exits like a pimp.

Seriously, WOW. I have half a mind to join for the hell of it, but I have no idea in what role. Great job guys!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: August 14, 2011, 09:53:04 am »

Out until this evening, last night of the current play.  Think I may actually revert to using hand-drawn instead of Hexographer because the interface is driving me insane.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: August 14, 2011, 09:54:16 am »

((Just a quick post saying that I've read the thread and intend t do a tactics post soon! Sorry for any delay.

Are we surrounded on both sides or have they combined into 1 big army?))
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 188