Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185553 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1800 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:03 pm »

@thatkid: do you mind resolving how me and Ehndras do in our fight against the shadelings? I'd really like to know.
OOC:
Sure thing. I was going to make a big post rolling for a bunch of people in a little bit. I've been busy trying to sort the order of said post and figuring out which page everything that needs replies is on so I don't make any mistakes.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 11, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »

Completely unnecessary post and a waste of space, but...

...A Song of Ice and Fire.

THIS. Fuck yeah.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:37 pm »

Kytuzian, in the future can you let me know how many guards you have with you in your post? Had to search through old posts to find the number.

In the King's Court, Mid-Autumn...

Erik made a show of considering the proposition, if only for the courtiers that filled the room, and then allowed a broad grin to spread across his face. Rising from his throne, King Erik met Jarl Corv eye to eye and extended his mangled hand in a sign of friendship. "It is done. I shall have my Steward make arrangements for a trade caravan, wool and iron for your coal and tin, and I shall have my soldiers know that your men are free to travel through our lands as allies against Suul."

Behind the smile, however, the King was already planning for retribution against Suul's treachery that went far beyond allowing Weyland Raiders unadulterated access to their land.

In the Eelspine Range, Mid-Autumn...

(Kytuzian 2) You move closer, but the bandits seem to realize what you're trying to pull. Your khopesh clashes against the Suulian mercenary's shortsword with a loud clang. Your two guards draw their own weapons, and move to assist you.

Kytuzian has his Khopesh (+1), Armor (+1), and two guards (+2 HP). The Bandits number in four (4 hp), and have weapons (+1) and armor (+1)

(5+1+1 vs 4+1+1) For your first time fighting together, you and your guards perform incredibly well. Within moments, the one of the bandits has been laid low. (Kytuzian: 5/5, Bandits: 3/4)
However, the remaining Bandits are utilizing short bows, and your men are armed only with short swords. You will lose your weapon advantage until you switch to your bow, or your men reach melee range.

(2+1 vs 1+1+1) You drop your khopesh and move to string your bow. But before you can, one of your guards knocks you aside. One of the bandit's arrows plunges into his throat, and he drops to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Meanwhile, your remaining guard lets out a roar and blindly charges. (Kytuzian: 4/5, Bandits 3/4)

(5+1+1 vs 1+1+1) You notch and arrow and let fly. One of the bandits drops to the ground. Meanwhile, the other two bandits attempt to flank your companion as he backpedals away from them in an attempt to remain alive. (Kytuzian: 4/5, Bandits 2/4)

(2+1+1 vs 3+1+1) You fire a second arrow, but it flies wide from the ongoing brawl. To your horror, one of the bandits finally gets the better of your companion, slipping a curved dagger in between his ribs from behind. The guard sinks to his knees, gurgling in pain moments before the second bandit beheads him with a powerful slash. (Kytuzian: 3/5, Bandits: 2/4)

Your guards have been slain, and you are outnumbered two to one. What do you?

In Sheepstead, Late Autumn...

(Locanil 6) Berte finds a suitable building, alright. However, he's either the worst haggler known to man or the owner is just a dick: The asking price is three ducats.
Needless to say, the King responds in the same manner as he did last time you asked for funds: We don't have any money to spare at the moment.

Elsewhere in the World...

In the Northern Weyland Highlands...

(Pompulion 3) Art informs you that there are no Kingdoms nearby that he knows of, though Jarl Manskinner's Clan might as well be one considering its size and strength. There are also two other clans nearby, though they're nearly as brutal: The McKinley Clan (which controls a village and fortified market), and the Munro clan (which controls a fortified market).

(Sir Jormund and Ehndras) The Knight and Weylander quickly form their small band of five into a circle, with those on the outer edges holding shield and sword and those closer to the center holding torch and blade.

(Sir Jormund 2) The darkness, coupled with the dying torch light and the unnatural feeling of claustrophobia within the cave play on your senses. You feel yourself quaking with fear, and images from the night before flash through your mind with alarming detail -- though every face of those slain is replaced by your own. (-1 to all rolls)
(Ehndras 4) The darkness around you closes in like a heavy blanket, suffocating you. An unnatural sense of perversion fills these caverns, but you steel yourself against it. There is not to fear but fear itself, and you'll be damned if you cower before these things. Your knightly companion does not fare as well.
(Both 3) Ehndras' display of resolve, combined with the fact that Sir Jormund has yet to turn tail and run, is enough to keep your men from fleeing. But fear is visible in their eyes, and there's no telling how useful they'll be in a fight. (-1 to all rolls that require the aid of your companions)

Ehndras has Weapon (+1) and Armor (+1) as well as 1 Companion who, due to their near pants-wetting terror, is useless for this fight.
Sir Jormund has Armor (+1), Weapon (+1), and two companions though only 1 is of any use (+1 HP). However, he is filled with soul-wrenching fear, and isn't thinking clearly (-1)
The creatures are incorporeal (+1), and have a variety of strange abilities (+1). You are unsure how many there are.

(Sir Jormund 2-1) You move to lead your men back towards the entrance of the cave in an organized retreat, but you don't move quickly enough. These nightmare beasts already have you surrounded.

(Sir Jormund 1+1 vs 3+1+1) A face leers out from the darkness at you, flayed and dripping with maggots. You stagger back, lashing out only to strike darkness. To your left, you hear a sickening crack and a thud as one of your warriors' arms is bent back far beyond its limit. A moment later his sobbing is silenced by a loud crunch. (Sir Jormund: 3/4; Shadelings: 3/3)

(Ehndras 2+1+1 vs 1+1+1) Sir Jormund staggers past you, lashing out at shadows. You step around him, careful to avoid his wild swings as you move to guard your torch-bearing companion. Something flickers off to your left, and you spin and slash, your blade coming away with a neat trail of blood. You're quite certain that the blood only appears to be black because of the darkness of the cave. (Ehndras: 3/3, Shadelings: 2/3)

(Sir Jormund 5+1 vs 6+1+1) You move to guard your torch-bearing companion, lashing out at the dancing shadows with your blade. A flurry of movement appears at the corner of your eye, and as you turn to meet it something crashes into you from behind, knocking you off your feet. The torch your remaining companion bore goes out with a hiss. (Sir Jormund: 2/4, Shadelings: 3/3)

(Ehndras 3+1+1 vs 4+1+1) You draw yourself into a defensive posture, trying to find out where the beast you just struck has gone off to when your companion lets out a cry of pain and slams into the nearby cavern wall, dropping his torch in the process. As you turn to aid him, something tears into your leg from behind with a terrible growl and you are forced to your knees by the pain. (Ehndras: 2/3. Shadelings 2/3)

(Sir Jormund 5+1 vs 4+1+1) You roll onto your back and kick out. Your feet meet with something warm and slimy, and you pin it against the cave wall where your blade has an easy time finding it...however you're only able to get off a single stab into the darkness before something tears through your pauldron, nearly severing your shield arm. (Sir Jormund: 1/4, Shadelings: 2/3)

(Ehndras 5+1+1 vs 2+1+1) You grab up the fallen torch, lashing out at the creature behind you. You only barely catch a glimpse of some dark, hulking beast before it releases its grip on your calf and flees your onslaught by escaping beyond the torchlight once more. (Ehndras: 2/3. Shadelings: 1/3)

(Sir Jormund 3+1 vs 1+1+1) You drop your longsword and pull a dirk from your belt, stabbing it into whatever has bitten into your shoulder. The blade sinks in deep, impossibly so, and the creature releases your shoulder and flees, tearing the dirk from your grip in the process. (Sir Jormund: 1/4, Shadelings: 2/3)

(Ehndras 6+1+1 vs 1+1+1) You attempt to stand, but your injured leg buckles beneath your weight. As you fall, you swing out with your torch and connect with something. The caverns fill with a horrific wail and a strong rush of fetid air, extinguishing your torch -- which also happens to be the last. As you roll onto your back, something briefly passes overhead and you lash out with a powerful kick, knocking it away from you. (Ehndras: 2/3, Shadelings: 0/3)

(Sir Jormund 4+1 vs 2+1+1) A horrific wail fills the caverns, and the last of the torch light, which is some ways away from you, goes out in a burst of rotten air. You hear a thud, followed by a grunt, and something lands next to you with a moist thump. With a squeal of terror, you grab up a nearby rock and swing it down. A sound not unlike shattering carapace fills the air, followed by a brief, blinding red flash. And then there is silence, save for the gentle drip of blood and your own harsh breathing. (Sir Jormund: 1/4, Shadelings: 0/3)

(Ehndras) A blinding red flash fades away to pure darkness. You are not alone, as only one pair of lungs can be heard aside from your own, but without any torchlight there is no telling who else survived. Your right calf has been torn open, and is bleeding heavily. There is no way of knowing if you'll ever be able to walk correctly again, but you'll likely need to take a season of rest before you can even try to limp.

(Sir Jormund) You can hear nothing over your own panting breath, and the darkness of the cavern prevents you from seeing anybody else. The fear that has filled your gut slowly subsides, melting away like snow. The muscles in your shield arm's shoulder have been torn to shreds, and the entire arm has gone numb. You are bleeding heavily, and likely have a few broken ribs to go with the lacerated shoulder, but it appears that the immediate danger has passed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:50:03 pm by thatkid »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:33 pm »

OOC:  Tired.  Just doing war posts.  Maps, with luck, will follow tomorrow.  Religion lore looks awesome, canon despite my wariness of using the name Fenrir.  But sod it, it's a cool name.

4 Prestoner regiments have just arrived, alongside Manning's crew, making them an immediate problem.  Elbrethan reinforcement regiments (other than Manning) won't arrive until season's end.  Won't roll for that (potential) fight until I see a bolded decision.

"Not too many lords were really ..around after that debacle at the palace on my first visit.. Hmm..There may not actually be any noble estates to sack. Could be something of interest however.. "

Terenos leads Sir Taric to Lord Drummel's(Chicane Von Trubaldsome's) estate. And fills him in about the conspiracy on the way.

[4]  As expected, pretty much all the other noble estates were sacked in the chaos of the last year.  Lord Drummel/Chicane von Trubaldsome's estate remains largely intact, though.  It is a very small estate, less than a quarter of a parcel, and you soon find to your great disappointment that it was only very modestly furnished.  Were you not utterly convinced that the pretender had hidden reserves in the house you would have written the search off but after several exhaustive hours a hidden panel beneath the study desk is discovered.

Rather than gold or silver, the panel contains several heavy ledgers and deeds.  These might not seem terribly valuable, but a skim through them speaks to the contrary; these are the deeds to the properties and possessions of the Cely Bros. Staplers Co., a wool-trading merchant house in Sheepy Hollow.  This merchant house must have been the source of Chicane's wealth and the reason he was able to manage such an expensive operation of blackmail and espionage.

The entire business probably has a book value of about 15 Ducats, earning 5 Ducats/year in profits.  Now that its manager is dead someone else will have to run it, but you could technically count the deeds as 'loot'.  (A non-landed player can run a business.)  You recover no other loot of note.

Drua looks out the window of her room, a weak smile on her face. Miring was holding the line at the keep, it looked like, so she was safe. She idly wonders if her husband is in any position to gain any power from this, and decides he probably is. All the better for her. He was a nice, caring, and loving fellow, but didn't seem to have much of a spine for moving forward in politics. It looked like it would be up to her to drag them into the higher ranks of Miring nobility, but if that wasn't an option, she could always pick up cartography again. She was still good at it, and she was sure she knew a few monks and holy sailors who would be agreeable for mapping across the sea. Her letters had been sent out, and now it was just a waiting game to see if any of her more-talented friends responded to the call.

[4]  The Order of the Thyme physician arrives at last and ministers to your injuries.  You will be stiff, but you are stable and with his treatment you should be on your feet again in a few days with crutches, though it will probably be winter before you can walk unaided.  When you have recovered a little more, you ask about Terenos and the others - the physician explains that they went west to loot some noble estates.  You ask about your husband, Lord Drummel.

He tells you.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 11, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »

"Feck!, This'll Pay for everything! We'll sell the business off, share the profit from that and pay the king what we can't divide equally and wholly!"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 11, 2011, 07:01:51 pm »

((..Damn his supernatural villain powers. Running a conspiracy, a business and his own estate..))
"I don't know, we should at least investigate the possibility of getting a manager for the business. Certainly of course, we can use the proceeds from the business to repay any debts you may have incurred. This is good news however."

So..I suppose we..
Occupy Miring with the army Taricus brought
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

"True, but I think you'll be getting Miring for your troubles, and I don't know anyone who could manage the business..."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 11, 2011, 07:05:25 pm »

OOC:
Locanil seems to have a near constant need for cash, and having a business to run might be a nice project for his students to learn above-basic mathematics...
just sayin'

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 11, 2011, 07:06:25 pm »

((Thats precisely what I was thinking!))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 11, 2011, 07:07:01 pm »

((My character doesn't know him though... Good idea at any rate.))

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 11, 2011, 07:08:17 pm »

Knavston poured over maps of the surrounding terrain. The looting had gone fairly well, but the Army scouts had reported a 2nd Prestoner force coming up from the South. Apparently another, smaller force was shadowing them. It could be Rebel Miring troops for all Master Black knew. The man commanding them was not familiar to the Grand Master.

“We can't stay in the city any longer, if we linger here we'll be trapped between both the Preston forces. Where the blazes are the rest of the Royal Army reinforcements?”

Pull back the Elbreth Royal Army to meet the new Prestoner Force that has arrived from the South.
Look over maps of Preston Terrain (From the mapping mission?) And look for terrain that will give us the biggest defensive advantage (Perhaps some sort of river crossing) while keeping them from linking up with the defenders in the Fort.

Send messengers to both the Southern Preston Army and the force following it looking for parle and negotiation.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:50 pm »

Put one ducat into creating a wall around our land.

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 11, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »

Jormund is amazed by the ferocity of the monsters that they just fought, but still it was a victory even if it nearly cost him his life. He realized the first thing that he and his companion needed to do was to find safety if they could. Jormund calls out to the other person that's still with him and asks him how he's doing. If possible he wants to try and leave the cave and get back to civilization (if the Highlands actually count as that).

Jormund tries to find out who else is in the cave and how they're doing. If they can, he tries to get both of them to the shelter of the town(even if he has to drag/carry/assist the other person).
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 11, 2011, 07:17:16 pm »

Help with the subjugation of Miring (AKA support Terenos)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 11, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »

You ask about your husband, Lord Drummel.

He tells you.

((How much is Drua being told? That her husband is dead or that her husband is dead and the mastermind of a conspiracy to dominate the entire region?))
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 188