Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185595 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1725 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »

((..Look. I cant be everywhere at once okay? Once things have settled down I'll put some serious thought into starting an assassin's guild. Furthermore, Your plan doesnt even remotely involve a curtain! I CANT WORK LIKE THIS!
Anywho. By butchering nearly ever regiment loyal to Miring I have in effect secured it outright. My plan now is to meet with Taricus and with his aid, occupy Miring. We'll prevent anyone from enacting any designs upon Miring.  Raiders..Suul, Who knows? They'll have an army to contend with. (ObviousNextStephere)
It is my deep and abiding suspicion that King Philip and Prince Karl are in mortal danger, as Chicane doesn't seem to be the sort of person who'd wait. And 'approaching Preston/Miring troops, together' seems like exactly the sort of signal he'd use to trigger an assassination. I doubt outright killing him will have stopped this. But its entirely possible.))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:38 pm »

OOC: Back, guys. Reading through the thread now.
And an Assassin's Guild? You're going to be busy, what with all the responsibilities that will be saddled upon you alongside your rewards.

In any case, I wonder who will step up to take over the horribly evil designs of Chicane now that he's dead? I agree that King Philip and Prince Karl are likely in danger, but it doesn't seem like we'll be able to stop their deaths. Which is a shame, since Prince Karl seemed like the noble sort and King Erik likely would have enjoyed taking him in as a ward after his father was executed for his role in King Leuki's death. Of course...maybe that's for the death. Having a claimant to the Preston throne would prevent certain...Elbrethian Loyals from becoming Dukes of Preston. If you catch my drift.

In other news, it would be nice if you would write every now and then. I'm sure your King would love to hear from you some more. And why don't you ever visit? The Castle Dining Hall has been so empty since Erika went missing!
Also, y'know...we could probably muster up some reinforcements to replace the myriad of lost regiments.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:05:32 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: August 10, 2011, 11:07:09 pm »

((Because I'm just one of those people who goes out there and gets things done. I'm no foppish dandy(Looking at -you- Trubaldsome!)! I mean, sure eventually I'll get mired in idiocy and responsibilities and so on. But until that happens I'm out here cheerfully screwing up everyones plans.

I intend to keep that up too. It doesn't matter how much responsibility you try to lay on me. Duke or not.
Yes. An Assassin's Guild. They are vital to diplomacy and you're going to need some hanging around. I imagine you'd want them loyal..So..Yeah. I could even juggle it into my other responsibilities if necessary.
As far as Chicane's designs? Probably going to mostly fall apart. We'll see the effects of them either falling apart, or moving to their conclusion. But without the central piece of the conspiracy theres little chance it will seriously impact us.))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 10, 2011, 11:11:47 pm »

Manning and his crew head north, following the Prestonian army to the main conflict. Utilizing the scouting nature of the crew, if the Prestonians attack the main forces of Elbreth, the crew can perform the perfect flank.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: August 10, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »

OOC:
Unless, of course, someone else with enough juice promotes themselves to the head of the Regicide Crime Squad and continues the operations with only a slight bump in their plans. It's also quite possible that Chicane was someone else's pawn. But that sort of Xanatos Gambit would be kind of insane.

But yeah, an Assassin's Guild will certainly be useful. As my...erm..."Minister of Diplomacy" you'll likely have use for them. Expect to work closely alongside the Minister of (Name Pending. "Internal Affairs" sound good?), who will be chosen very, very soon based off of recent successes in that field.

I was just going to say that I'm worried that the returning Prestoners will break the Elbrethian siege, but it looks like y'all've got that covered.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 10, 2011, 11:19:32 pm »

OOC: The contraction Y'all've is the most beautiful thing I think I have ever seen. Just FYI.

Manning is certainly interested in becoming one of the first wave of these 'diplomats'. It plays to his ambitions, and he's proved that he can be a good sidekick in a time of need.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:41:44 pm by mr. macduggan »
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:15 pm »

OOC: Hehe thanks.

I'm not rolling for Jormund right now because I'm waiting to see what his PC companion does.

In the Elbrethian Archives, Mid-Autumn...

(Locanil 1) Your test may have been a...tad too difficult. When all is said and done, only Berte and two others remain, and then only barely passing. (3) Luckily, you haven't made the mistake of letting them know about the culling yet, and so you may still salvage the situation if you wish.

In the Eelspine range, Mid-Autumn...

(Kytuzian 5-1) You have no real map-making skill to speak of, but you're able to make out a fairly good map regardless. (1) Sadly, the map making slows you down, and you're barely outside of the "known" regions of Eelspine before it begins to get dark.

(Marquess Kain Vadud II) The messenger returns soon after bearing a letter from the King himself. He bids that you bring the list to him personally so that they might be dealt with. He also stresses the personally aspect, as it would seem he very much wishes to discuss something with you in private.

Elsewhere in the World...

In the Dead Plains, Mid-Autumn...

(Pompulion 2) The relatively uninjured hunter simply shakes his head, sliding himself closer and closer to the fire each time he rocks back and forth. Between chattering teeth, he mumbles "I...I want to...stay where it's warm..." (5) The blinded man, however, stares off into the distance and whimpers, "J-just take me...gah...back to where it's safe...please..."

With that, you assist the blind man, who informs you that his name is Art, in rising to his feet and walking. (3) He also informs you that the Manskinner's land are "to the south."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1732 on: August 10, 2011, 11:58:59 pm »

Keep on trucking to Suul I guess.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:36 am »

((shite. My guys are idiots :'( ))

Well at least he didn't tell them... Locanil decided to  keep them for now...But he also decided he would  also teach Berte and the two (names please) the basics of engineering.

Action- Continue teaching class in writing but also teach the three about engineering.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 11, 2011, 04:41:14 am »

The trip to Preston had been hell on Trubaldsome, but he was feeling a little better now, with the hard riding behind him, a fairly well-appointed merchant's house to stay in within the city, and he had discovered a soft, slightly damp towel in the undergarments was an effective way to soothe painful rashes, at least whilst in the saddle.
He trotted his fine horse up to Knavston as he spoke, Waery at his side, and listened without much interest.
Once the man was finished, he said, waving a well-dressed arm towards the house he'd claimed, and said,
"Well, once you are done with your planning, Grand master, let me know. I shall be in my newly-aqquired quarters." He wheeled his horse, shifting in the saddly uncomfortably before letting of a parting shot, "Let us hope this plan turns out somewhat better than the last, hm?"

Set up house in some adbandoned merchant's home, (Or whichever house I can find that's nicest) trying to make it as comfortable and luxurious as possible.

((Can't think of much to post right now... Sleepy. :( ))
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:03:30 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1735 on: August 11, 2011, 06:56:48 am »

((Did you make the map, or can I draw it?))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 11, 2011, 07:24:07 am »

How you can repay me this deed? Oh lets just talk about another token of friendship i have for you King of Elbereth

Jarl Manskinner offered an open grin which went broader until it looked rather predatory

Some weeks ago some, lets call it representatives, of Suul arrived at my court, with gold...much gold. They offered me enormous riches if i lead my armies into this little town here and burn it to crisp as well as the surrounding provinces due to your current war with Preston it would have been easy for me, minimal losses, maximal gain. But neither i am some unwashed barbarian nor an fool. If i burned your lands i would have elbereth all the same against me, something i cannot afford at the moment, the same you can't afford having me against you. And with their offer Suul showed me three things: first they hold me for some raging, uncontrolled barbaric oaf which is distracted by small shiny things, secondly they are filthy rich for the size of their country and lastly they are cowards. Horrible cowards if they sent others to do the fighting for them. And in my lands you skin cowards and burn them alive. Thus i offer you the following things King Erik: First, a trade pact with our country. We can offer Coal and Tin. Secondly, a non-aggression pact. I am not interested in your lands King Erik. They might be ill-defended most of the time, but they are not really rich - insult not intended. Nor does the population have the fighting spirit of the Weylanders. Now on what i want: give me and my men free and undisturbed passage through your lands towards Suul. They are cowards and have insulted my people with their craven offers. I intend to repay them...in blood. Lastly, if you start a campaign against them, i want to take part in it. You can have the land down there, leave my men the loot and you have the men of Weyland at your disposal.

his grin showed completely white teeth, looking like he just proposed a tea-party and not letting through barbarian raiders to rape, murder,pillage and burn the neighbouring country. His grey eyes however stayed cold,impassible.

What is your answer King Erik?

Corv knew that both his Jarldom and propably also the Elberethian Country depended on the answer of the king. He hoped that the man showed the cunning he thought he had made out in him...

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 11, 2011, 09:16:20 am »

The Nahk of the Zimtar raider clan is content.
Nahk state: content
The Nahk is the leader of my clan aka me

tell sentries too look out for any people traveling nearby
if someone is spotted go and get the raider guards to apprehend them [carefully] and bring them before the Nahk to talk
attempt to move the big rocks so that they camoflage the cave entrance and keep out the snow that will come in winter
be careful with the rocks
rotate some of the sentries every now and then off duty sentries should help collect food or tend to the goats

Spoiler: Ztah (Zimtar raiders) (click to show/hide)

Commander Zacmar learning progress: not arrived

Commander Zacmar troop learning progress: not arrived

ETA: start of winter
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:37 am »

Set up house in some adbandoned merchant's home, (Or whichever house I can find that's nicest) trying to make it as comfortable and luxurious as possible.

[3]  Sadly the looting doesn't leave much in terms of furnishings and one or two morons start the usual fires, limiting your choice of accommodations.  You find a house in the port with an intact roof that seems to be clean and billet yourself there, keeping your troops in the neighbouring houses.  At least you will be comfortable if it comes to a siege.

“This war will take longer than anticipated.” His tone became ominously grim as he addressed the other Lords, “Prepare to loot the city. We'll take anything of value. Then we'll see how their soldiers like to fight when they have no money to pay them. Perhaps in their haste, that will draw them out into a trap. And if that doesn't work we'll burn the whole thing down.”

Looting the city proper puts you rather awkwardly within range of the catapults, who take pot shots from the fort's ramparts at bands of looters.  The port itself is undefended however, so you easily and automatically loot 6 Ducats from the shops and warehouses there (deducted from next year's taxes in the region).  You cannot effectively loot the town whilst the keep still stands and is defended, as defenders can disrupt the scattered formations required to loot with shortbow fire or catapult bombardment.

The good news is that by holding the port you will be able to cut off any resources they relied on trade to obtain.  Depending on how much they have laid in store, they may be able to hold the siege for some time.

It takes a few days to pull off the looting successfully (there is a fair amount to loot, and you have to shake down the commanders within reasonable limits to ensure you get at least some of the spoils).  By the time you are finished, scouts report a new Prestoner army arriving from the south, some four regiments in strength.  Another band of men, not flying Prestoner colours, is following them.

Manning and his crew head north, following the Prestonian army to the main conflict. Utilizing the scouting nature of the crew, if the Prestonians attack the main forces of Elbreth, the crew can perform the perfect flank.

You head north with the Prestoner army, bringing the two engineers Terenos recruited.  They arrive on the crest of the low foothills leading toward the currently smoking city of Preston.  It looks like the army ahead have settled into looting and siege for the moment.  Their commanders appear to be deciding what to do.

((Excuse me, But taunting the dice to either swing in his favor, or spectacularly wrong is the wheelhouse of my character. A small amount of messaging led to this action. I did want to consult with ol Manning after all.))

Terenos travels with his personal guard regiment south, To meet up with the commander of the approaching Elbreth Army.

You take your personal guard regiment, but send the engineers on ahead with Manning.  You don't have to march long before meeting five regiments under the command of Sir Taric of Stonewood.  Accompanying them is a Suulian physician they picked up during the journey, claiming to be answering the call of Lady Drua.  He is rather insistent he see her and tend to her injuries.

Keep on trucking to Suul I guess.

You have visited Suul before and know the way, but this time things appear a little different.  There is heavy construction going on in the city, and as you pass through the formerly symbolic city gates you notice that they are being reinforced and a pair of encircling stone walls are being constructed around the port and city proper.  Brigandined longbowmen pace along the new battlements, surveying the construction and the countryside.

[6]  It is very easy to find the man you are looking for.  Or rather it is very easy to find his estate because it is in the process of being dismantled and sold off.  The merchant collector recently died from a canker of the bowels, leaving everything to his rather less cultured (but very gambling-prone) son, who has opted to sell off the menagerie and several of the family's works of art to cover his debts.  The monkey is presently still unsold, but according to the auctioneer will go on the block in three days' time.

[6]  Your two assistants appear to be getting bored, and you've noticed them put their tents closer to each other during your travel stops.  They are in good spirits, but becoming somewhat distracted from the task at hand.

((shite. My guys are idiots :'( ))

Well at least he didn't tell them... Locanil decided to  keep them for now...But he also decided he would  also teach Berte and the two (names please) the basics of engineering.

Action- Continue teaching class in writing but also teach the three about engineering.

[5]  The class at large excel in your efforts to improve their writing skills.  In fact, you believe many of them are ready for helpful and valuable lives as scribes, note-takers, shopkeepers and whatever other professions are available to someone who can read and write but lacks much other knowledge.  [1-1]  Your efforts to teach Berte and the other two 'prime' students about engineering fail miserably, mostly because of your own near total inexperience in the subject.  You're a scholar, not an engineer, and they are swiftly realising this and losing confidence in your ability there.  You won't be able to retrain them as engineers without a real engineer to do the teaching.

tell sentries too look out for any people traveling nearby
if someone is spotted go and get the raider guards to apprehend them [carefully] and bring them before the Nahk to talk
attempt to move the big rocks so that they camoflage the cave entrance and keep out the snow that will come in winter
be careful with the rocks
rotate some of the sentries every now and then off duty sentries should help collect food or tend to the goats

[4 vs 1]  Your sentries spot a lone, armed archer in lamellar armour crossing through your territory.  They send for a handful of raider guards, who confront the man and demand he surrender his weapons and come with them to speak before the Nahk.

Kytuzian:  You are peacefully travelling through an unexplored pass when a group of unwashed barbarians hold you up with shortbows and demand you surrender so they can take you to their leader.

[6-2]  Despite your insistence that the men be careful with the large rocks, they move a little too freely and end up almost completely sealing the cave off.  It is possible to get in and out through a narrow gap between the heavy rocks, but you will not be able to withdraw large numbers (e.g. regiments) into the cave in a hurry.  Once they are in there, though, they will at least be well protected.

The cave's fortification bonus has increased to +2!  Unfortunately you cannot retreat into it during a battle - troops must be placed in there ahead of time to defend it.

Quote from: Zimtar Raiders
Lands:
Elspine +2 defense [Elspine regions have +1 defense against troops coming from Suul due to rock-slide traps][copper]
Elspine x1 [cave +1 defense][not improved][+3 defense total]
Zimtar Village - +1 d/year
- Elspine x1 [Zimtar Village]
Suul x1 [hunting lodge]
Troops:
Steppe raiders x1 [personal][infantry][Raider][Elspine]
Steppe raiders x1 [infantry][Raider][unusable till winter][Suul]
Tools available:
(Mining tools unusable, 1 ducat worth - repaired in new year)
Treasury:
0 ducat
Important people:
The Nahk
Commander Zacmar (NPC)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:20:30 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: August 11, 2011, 10:22:50 am »

((If I was in command, I'd just attack the incoming 'Prestoner' army blindly. Sadly, we have more cautious people in charge and they'll most likely do things like 'scout' and 'negotiate', finding out it's actually led by Manning. Pfft.))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 188