Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185610 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1695 on: August 10, 2011, 04:38:35 pm »

OOC:
Because I missed it, Filius.
In any case, I saw the "Old Gods" as little more than proto-pagan gods of fertility and agriculture. So there's a lot of room to work with -- go for it, as long as you don't go with the Lovecraftian "Old God" route...because that's very far from the population of Elbreth.

Erik is a cyclist, though he doesn't see himself as the mouth-piece of God yet. I suppose he'll make Cyclicism the state religion once he begins his eventual descent into megalomania...
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 10, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »

((Why am I imagining something very horrible will happen with the King's ego?))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: August 10, 2011, 06:15:28 pm »

Quote from: Grandmaster Black
Barring objections or improvements from the other Lords, move the Royal Army to catch up with the disorganized remnants of Prince Karl's forces and attempt to cut off their escape to the Fort and Capture the Prince.

[1] As Prince Karl approaches the keep, the drawbridge lowers!  There's no way he can get into the keep before your own army catches up with him though.  Instead, fearing the loss of his son, it looks like King Philip has elected to ride out with his full force to secure his son's retreat into the fort!

Tactics:  With a numerical advantage now, King Philip martials his forces to try and flank the attacking Elbrethan soldiers.  It soon becomes apparent that from the sharp manoeuvering of Philip's personal guard that he is himself a trained Tactician.  [Rl 1 Rq 2]  Alas, the cramped confines of the street prevent a successful flank, leaving Philip's forces in disarray.

The defenders in a close urban fight receive a +1 terrain bonus from the winding streets.  This bonus is not received when defending a fort.

Elbreth: 9 Infantry
Preston: 1 Cavalry, 8 Infantry, 2 Catapults (1 Terrain bonus, -1 Tactics penalty)

Skirmish: 3+9 vs 2+2+8+2+1-1  -  Close Defeat [Elbreth loses 2 Infantry, Preston loses 1 Infantry]

The Prestoners, seizing the advantage in the close and confused street fight, pull back to the Fort rather than pressing an attack.  Had they done so, Elbreth would gain the terrain advantage from fighting in the streets in addition to the tactical advantage from Preston's disarray.

Elbreth has lost 2 Infantry, Preston 1 Infantry.  Preston has pulled back to the Fort.

Quote from: Manning
Start training swordsmanship.

[6] During the short weeks before Preston's army arrives, you start working on sword training with the other members of your crew.  Things seem to be going fantastically, until you realise that you've learned so many bad habits with the showboating you've been doing to impress your fellow soldiers that they will actually undermine your performance in a real fight.  Now you're going to have to unlearn those habits.

-10 Training points in Swordplay.

Short of paying money for professional training, the best time to learn new tactics in real swordsmanship is during a real fight.  Every time you engage in a battle or individual mortal combat, you will have a chance of improving your Swordplay skill.

Eventually, Preston's army is sighted.  You lay in position, waiting in the heavily trapped forests with your companions, until rather surprisingly Terenos rides out to meet you with a strange proposition.

Quote from: Terenos
To the north! To link up with Manning's crew, the engineers and the others. We shall leave our position, and endeavor to meet with the Preston forces commander under a flag of peace.

[6]  The Prestoners seem all too willing to let you approach under a flag of peace.  Regrettably you discover why when they surround your hapless forces, giving them an advantage in the fight ahead - unless you can talk your way out of it at a disadvantage, that is.

Elbreth:  1 Ambush Inf, 5 Infantry (2 non-combatant engineers)
Preston:  3 Infantry, 1 Catapult, +1 Encirclement advantage

Quote from: Locanil
Action- Teach Class

[6]  The peasants you are able to bring back into your class take to their writing studies with a certain intriguing amount of interest.  You are happy to teach them, even when they start asking about handwriting styles and what sort of styles different people tend to use.  You are all too happy to give them additional coaching, glad that for once they are paying attention to your lessons and improving themselves.

Forged letters of credit and other such bills begin appearing in Sheepstead.

Quote from: Zimtar Clan
collect more rocks
send 1 regiment to the hunting lodge in suul
put sentries in groups of 5 dotted around the place

[1]  Your continued efforts to collect rocks results in a rockslide - ironically consisting entirely of rocks too large to collect.  [2] This coincides perfectly with the transit of the regiment travelling to the hunting lodge and several members are killed or injured.  This regiment will be unavailable for use until Winter.

[6]  You are at least able to put up plenty of sentries, but because your forces are stretched so thin these are mostly just goatherds with barely a clue of what sort of dangers they should be keeping an eye out for.

Quote from: Kytuzian
Go to the bar an inquire about the cave-people, unexplored sections of the mountains, and perhaps a map of them too.

[4]  There isn't a map available exactly, but you get some information from a few goatherds about trails they've used in the past.  One older herdsman, a rare native rather than an immigrant from Elbreth, mentions that although he doesn't know for sure about any cave people he did once stumble across an old stone tomb in a storm.  It was to the south, not far from a certain rough plateau near some hunting trails.  The man describes the crag he saw it under, though this might not do you much good until you find the plateau itself, but does suggest that there were some old Suulian fur-traders that lived in a set of lodges near the eastern edge of the Eelspine.

Quote from: Jormund
Try to form a hunting party of citizens and warriors and set out to find the shadow creatures.
Unless Ehndras has anything further to add, get a small group of trained hunters and warriors and go back to the area of the attack. Look for any signs of the creatures and possibly where they came from.

Quote from: Ehndras
Ehndras in particular should focus on searching for disturbances in the underbrush, branches, and soil, as a large, quick creature would undoubtedly leave noticeable tracks if one knows where to look. Most likely these noctural hunters live within a hidden cave system, and so Ehndras will search for rumors and signs of mountains or ground caves in the region surrounding the attack site.

You are able to get [3] three warriors willing to brave the dangerous valley with you, by default sticking two to Jormund and one to Ehndras.  The Weylanders are unwilling to follow Jormund in number yet, since there is some rumour that ill favour follows him now (i.e. you cannot raise a new personal guard until new year), though some have expressed a willingness to follow Ehndras should he ever need a larger body of men.

Ehndras:  You are taken back to the original campsite where the beasts attacked, a sight which turns even your stomach.  The corpses of those slaughtered have had their skin flayed away in strips and draped through the branches of trees, their organs strewn across the ground in strange patterns and shapes.  Most are missing their eyes, but those that still have them have shrunk to tiny lumps.  The Weylanders insist they bury what they can, though they are not keen to stay long in this place.

[6+1]  To your intense frustration, you find no tracks save those made by the slaughtered workers.  Even where you can clearly see the marks of where a man was dragged along the ground, there are no footprints of what dragged him.  Nevertheless, your gut tells you to search for caves and so you and your men scour the nearby valley.  A fairly steep cave is found, leading into a dark, twisting passage where a stream must once have run.  The roof of the cave is low, but you light some torches and move in.  As you move deeper into the cave, you feel a growing knotting sensation in your stomach.  Hairs raise on the back of your neck.  You press on through the winding cavern passagess until the only light is the one from your torches.

You realise, too late, that you can see indistinct figures at the edge of the torchlight.  You can't make them out, but malice radiates from them in waves.  You're surrounded, and the light from your torches is starting to dim...

Quote from: Pompulion
Examine each of the hunters, and ask them of where they might find safety or civilization.

One of the hunters has been torn apart, literally.  The shadelings appear to have torn open his chest and flayed muscles at random from his limbs then thrown them into the campfire.  The gentle drip-drip of his blood is starting to play on your mind.

The second hunter seems fine, except that his eyelids hang loose in their frames.  He sort of blinks, the flesh briefly peeling back, and you see that his eyeballs have shrunk into a pair of shriveled grey lumps in the dark, bloody sockets.  He keeps begging you to start the fire, not yet aware of his predicament.  When you inform him, he tries to cry but the tears just fall into the open chasms and he screams with pain.

The third has his knees pulled up to his chest.  He doesn't seem to have been injured, but he is shivering as if subject to some terrible cold.  He is the only one to answer your query.

"W-we came north f-from Weyland.  Escaping that m-madman, Manskinner.  We just w-wanted to live a peaceful life, but- gods above, those monsters!  That's the cl-closest thing you'll find to civilisation here.  Oh gods, it's cold.  Why is it so cold..."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: August 10, 2011, 06:17:57 pm »

OOC: I had a big post all written up, and then Iituem beat me to it D:

The King's Court, Mid-Autumn...

(Jarl Manskinner) To say that King Erik was displeased by the sudden interruption of his court would be...an understatement. He did, however, welcome the diversion from the constant slew of complaints about mountain people and strange northern travelers. And whatever anger he might have originally had upon the Jarl's bursting in was immediately erased upon seeing his kin returned safely.
Quietly, without a word, the King raised his mangled right hand and his guards backed away from the Jarl's men, though they still kept a wary eye out. "I must thank you...Jarl," Erik replied then, eying the man curiously, "For returning my dear cousin Erika. And I do believe that I have heard of you before."

Erik paused, and then biting back a sigh, asked "How might I repay you for this deed?"

The King's Court, Mid-Autumn...

(Silas) There had been a wait of two or three weeks, but King Erik has not forgotten the strange prisoner. One dank, dreary morning Berte, accompanied by two guards, arrives at the cell with torch and key. Silas is marched up the stairs of a quiet castle, where all sleep, and brought before the King.
"It is only fitting," the King begins as you are brought before him, "That you came here in the middle of the night, and you will leave in the morning. Don't you think?" Erik smiles, and idly waves his mangled hand to silence any potential response.
"You are charged with trespassing, with the intent of breaking into the royal vault -- An act of treason. How do you plea?"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:25:06 pm by thatkid »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 10, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »

Sorry!  Wasn't sure if you were working on it or not, and I couldn't resist describing the shadeling bits.  =D  Hope I wasn't too off what you were planning at least.

I think in future I should post which bits I'm working on in a reserve post to avoid this.  >.<
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: August 10, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

Jormund is shaken by the sight of the creatures that he came to find. The fact that they appeared to leave no trail gives them an even greater aura of mystery. Even so he knows that they must be able to be killed and so he calls out to the men with him, "Form a circle men. Back to back. Have your weapons out and ready and your torches in the other. We're going to try and get out of here without any of us getting hurt. If we can draw them out into the sunlight we might have an advantage."

Jormund tells his men to form a circle facing outwards towards the monster with their weapons ready. The plan is to retreat slowly towards the cave entrance and try and lure them into the sunlight or at least force them into a bottleneck at the cave entrance.

((By the way, I couldn't have raised a personal regiment anyways. If you remember a looonng time back when I was still in the Ztah Steppes they were killed there. My personal guard never seems to last very long.))
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 10, 2011, 06:28:37 pm »

Sorry!  Wasn't sure if you were working on it or not, and I couldn't resist describing the shadeling bits.  =D  Hope I wasn't too off what you were planning at least.

I think in future I should post which bits I'm working on in a reserve post to avoid this.  >.<
OOC: Hehe it's fine.
Your response to Kytuzian was more interesting, and the only real difference was that Sir Jormund ended up with one less companion.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 10, 2011, 06:29:07 pm »

((Oh please, Theres absolutely zero reason to fight. I'm Terenos d'Avistral. I'll find a damn way through. Don't I always? Its nice to have confidence.
Besides which, that encirclement makes the odds even. And I like murdering enemy soldiers. I like it a lot.))

Terenos pulls the Crown of Miring from his bag and places it on the table.

"This conspiracy is over. Chicane von Trubaldsome is dead, slain in honorable combat by my hand. King Leuki is dead by Chicane's hand. Thusly the kingship falls to the third Trubaldsome heir. This war has no purpose. I seek to prevent bloodshed. Join with me, Let us ride north and prevent Elbreth's siege on Preston from causing yet more loss of life."

When this inevitably does not work, Terenos will attempt to Punch Through with his regiments, breaking the encirclement bonus...Back towards the trapped forest.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 10, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

((Wait, Am I Involved with the attack on preston?))

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 10, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »

OOC:
You're bringing reinforcements to Miring that may not even be necessary. At least not in defending Miring...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 10, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »

A note is handed to the king by a messenger one day in court.

My lord, I succesfully found out the names of the entire ring of spies. But there is quite alot of them to apprehend and I was wondering if you would like me to ignore them, round them up or round them up and execute them? Or some other thing? I would also be on my gaurd milord, the ballista are still missing.
Kain.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:05 pm »

((Ah, so I'm not there yet? Or am I in Miring palace?))

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 10, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »

(Yer not there yet Taricus. yer supposed to arrive after I've handled the defense of Miring from this initial invasion.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:25 pm »

((Alright, that clears everything up about it))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 10, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

OOC:
You're bringing reinforcements to Miring that may not even be necessary. At least not in defending Miring...

i.e. You'll be there with first pick of the looting.  Not to mention you'll probably need to rescue Drua, since she may still be there when you get there.

((Oh please, Theres absolutely zero reason to fight. I'm Terenos d'Avistral. I'll find a damn way through. Don't I always? Its nice to have confidence.
Besides which, that encirclement makes the odds even. And I like murdering enemy soldiers. I like it a lot.))

Terenos pulls the Crown of Miring from his bag and places it on the table.

"This conspiracy is over. Chicane von Trubaldsome is dead, slain in honorable combat by my hand. King Leuki is dead by Chicane's hand. Thusly the kingship falls to the third Trubaldsome heir. This war has no purpose. I seek to prevent bloodshed. Join with me, Let us ride north and prevent Elbreth's siege on Preston from causing yet more loss of life."

When this inevitably does not work, Terenos will attempt to Punch Through with his regiments, breaking the encirclement bonus...Back towards the trapped forest.

You hold up the crown (there being no table in an open field) and declare that the king is dead.  [6]  This seems to quell the willingness of the Prestoner troops to fight.  They start to form a retreat, but then you hear angry murmuring from the troops gathered on your side.  One of the regiment commanders approaches you, sword held in a not-quite-unthreatening manner.

"So what you're telling us," he says, "is that both the King and his long lost brother are dead, and you're the only witness to the murders?  Sounds mighty convenient to me..."  There is a growing rumble of assent from the Mirish troops gathered around you, though Manning's crew and the royal troops start to move into position to protect you.

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 188