Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185729 times)

Mr. Pompular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1485 on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:13 am »

Over panted gasps for air, Pompulion stood hands on knees as the world around him returned to the norm, 'By thee gods above, I'll be dead within the week at the pace I'm going.' As his breathing steadied, he turned his attention to the hunters. They were still frozen in fear, "Hello there, I did my best to ward off those foul beasts, now how many of you still stand?"

Pompulion inquires the state of the remaining hunters, while trying to portray himself as a hero.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 07, 2011, 01:10:24 pm »

((I'd beware there are Ztah raiders in the Eelspine...I wonder what the people in the bars will tell Kytuzian if he rolls a one...))
as far as you know there aren't Ztah in the mountains i was very careful to keep that a secret
OOC:
This is correct.
You should be aware of the Suulian mercenaries who are raiding Eelspine, instead.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 07, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

((Fixed. Sorry about that. I thought i knew that OOC and was just offhandly mentioning to Kyutzian. My char thinks its Suulian Mercs, though.))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:21:47 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 07, 2011, 06:26:32 pm »

((OOC: fuuuucccck...sorry guys forgot to say that i went to Wacken Open Air last week.... :-[ well...am i still considered in or has the doctor deposed me? *starts reading 23 pages of posts*))

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:46 pm »

((Its fine nothing major happened, besides a gaint fire in the palace. In unrelated events:
Don't you think he looks tired?))
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 07, 2011, 06:36:53 pm »

((No. No he doesn't. In fact, he is the very fount of vitality and energy. Furthermore, I believe your police box is being towed.))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 07, 2011, 06:52:42 pm »

((Nothing new. Jormundur found us, though. I also unintentionally made myself high, because he beat me up.))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 07, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »

((yeah not really much besides another fire at castle Sheepstead. Oh and I just noticed, Page 100. Yay.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 07, 2011, 07:12:55 pm »

wah nothing new?

I ve got control of Prestons Army  :P

oh damn...ok guys im tired as hell tomorrow i will write up the situation with the kings cousin, the Tactics teh Clansmen like to use (or as Corv intended them) and all the other stuff...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 08, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »

OOC:  Apologies to Ghazkull.  Just got back, figure I might as well see if there's any way I can salvage part of this unsalvageable (from Preston's viewpoint) situation.

Battle at Bingham's Field (Because 'Battle at Preston Border' doesn't sound as cool.)

Preston:  1 Cavalry, 4 Infantry
Elbreth:  1 Cavalry, 10 Infantry

Tactics I:  Realising the doomed situation, Prince Karl sacrifices one of his infantry batallions by having them rush to the nearby copse of forest, leading the body of his troops to the nearby tussock.  [Req: 4+1-1, Roll: 4]  The Elbrethian forces take the bait, sending their lone cavalry unit to control the hill (which it does automatically) whilst their main force goes after the easier kill, (2 vs 6) beating it to the woodland and denying it any advantage.

Hill Battle:  2+3+1 vs 1+2+3  -  Draw, Default to Preston  (1 Preston infantry, 1 Elbreth cavalry lost.)
Copse Battle:  5+10+1 vs 1+1  -  Crushing Victory to Elbreth (1 Preston infantry lost.)

Tactics II:  Prince Karl's forces are still likely doomed, but holding the small tussock brings them a meagre slice closer to parity with the overwhelming infantry force of Elbreth.  Karl tries to arrange his forces to conserve his men, cycling fresh infantry to the front when the fight recommences but allowing room for his cavalry to charge in waves, fall back and regroup.  [Req 4, Roll 6]  Difficult as this is to pull off (especially given Karl's lack of tactical ability) he manages it, giving his men a chance if they can outlast the coming attack.

Hill Fight:  2+10 vs 6+3+2+1  - Draw (1 Preston infantry, 1 Elbreth infantry lost.)

The Prestoner troops are only able to pull off a fighting retreat in the end, losing as much as they take.  They break and flee further into Preston lands, and as the Elbrethian troops are not under standing orders to pursue them to the death they allow them to flee and call the battle a victory.

Clear Victory to Elbreth!

Elbreth lost 1 Cavalry unit (Crown) and 1 Infantry unit (players may volunteer which unit to lose).  Preston lost 2 Infantry units and broke into a retreat.

Tactical Analysis

I screwed this one up before it even started by committing a tactical blunder of unforgivable proportions.  Knowing that Elbreth was sending a potentially Str 13 force to attack, I fail to see what possessed Prince Karl (i.e. me) to think that a Str 7 force could do anything to dissuade them.  Instead of presenting a credible threat, Preston wiped out a major portion of its own strength by dividing its forces.  Had I been thinking clearly, I would have trusted to the instability of Miring and sent the full strength of Preston to break Elbreth's forces (or scare them off) and risk a round attack by alternate forces to secure the victory.

But that assumes that I (as the Prestoner King) trust Suul not to send an invading army by ship to hit my castle as soon as I move my troops out of it.  Which I don't.  So considering that frame of politics, it makes a little more sense.  Writing Suul out of the picture, after all, is a dangerous assumption to make.

Let's look at this unwinnable battle.  Str 13 vs Str 7 on the open field, a +6 advantage.  Nothing short of a 6-vs-1 roll would prevent Preston losing that battle, and even then the draw would mean they would have to repeat it four more times just to take out a meagre 5 enemy infantry for the loss of their 4 inf and cav.  Not worth it.

Originally the battlefield was a flat plain, condemning Preston to this absolute doom, but KaguroDraven very kindly asked about any tactical advantages that could be gained, so because he rolled a 3 I invented two 'weak' advantages: a copse of woodland that would give +1 to any defenders but take away any bonus to cavalry; and a small tussock that would grant the +1 defensive hill bonus but only the cavalry could reach in time to secure it.  These held the keys to Preston making a difference even in defeat.

The general chose to attack directly, giving Prince Karl a chance.  Karl played a very dirty trick (almost an exploit of the rules, which makes me wonder if they need rewriting) - although splitting a single unit with the split forces tactic and then not engaging the rest of the force incurs a massive Tactics penalty, this does not apply if you send even one unit to engage the rest of the force.  Karl sacrificed an infantry unit against unwinnable odds to try and split off the most dangerous unit to the longer campaign; the cavalry.  He had even odds trying to pull off the split; +1 from the tactic, +1 from the enemy Tactics bonus (the enemy had Cavalry units, after all), -1 from his own unit Tactics bonus, and he got lucky.

This was still a painfully difficult match.  The forest battle was lost before it began; even a 6-vs-1 could not have saved the infantry unit.  The hill battle was tough because the enemy automatically reached the tussock first (keeping the friendly cavalry with the infantry denied them the chance to reach the hill in time), granting them the +1 hill bonus and denying the Prestoners the cavalry bonus from combat on favourable ground.  Luck sided with them, just about, so they killed the most dangerous unit on the battlefield automatically (having no other units to sacrifice in its place) at the ultimate price of 2 infantry units.

This put the Prestoners in a better, but ultimately still poor position.  +1 Hill bonus, Cavalry back up to Str 3, so total Str 6.  This still vs Str 10 infantry.  They pulled off another gamble (+2 tactic, -1 unit bonus) to try and conserve forces in a victory.  Had they gotten luckier (though 'luckier' in this case would be a 6-vs-1) they would have been able to wipe out 2 Elbrethian infantry and retain all their units for the next round of combat (or pull off a tactical retreat for free), this time with even odds of a victory.  Alas for Prince Karl, their luck did not hold and they were forced into defeat.

Should the Elbrethian army wish, they can just pursue the enemy and continue the battle before the Prestoners can rejoin their kin at the capital.  (And you can just declare a standing order to pursue defeated opponents for future.)  Either way...

It is now Autumn 314.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »

Autumn, East Weyland

A group of three travellers arrive at Jarl Manskinner's longhouse, surrendering their weapons as a gesture of respect and requesting an audience with the Jarl.  The guards, trusting nobody, give them a couple of punches to subdue them and bind their hands before forcing the men into the Jarl's presence to ask what to do with them.  One of the guards hands the Jarl a small wooden box they seized from the prisoners, within which are a pair of silver ingots stamped with the crossed-keys-and-sails brand of Suul.  Donald picks one of them out of the box and gives it an experimental bite.

"Pure," he says, putting the slightly tooth-marked ingot back in its box.  He continues to speak, for whilst the Jarl's jaw has mercifully had the wires removed it is still a little painful to talk at length.  "An' what business have you with the Jarl, that you'd send so little guard with such a treasure?"  Donald nods for the leader of the three men to speak.

"We are representatives of certain powerful men in the South," the traveller explains, "who want to keep things there from expanding out of control.  We have heard of the rising success of the Jarl and came with a tribute of silver and information, and an offer to hire his services.  The silver, you have.  The information is that as we speak nearly the entire force of the kingdom of Elbreth's army is camped in Preston, waging a war of expansion.  This has left their rather juicy, rich flank dangerously exposed.

"My employers would like you to raid Elbreth, specifically the towns of Sheepstead and Sheepy Hollow, for as much as you can manage.  Anything you take is yours, and they are prepared to pay a total of eight ducats in silver on top of that for your assistance.  Two ducats you have already received.  Two more will follow upon the safe return of myself and my companions to our camp with your agreement.  The remaining four will follow once you have commenced the raid on the northerly settlement, Sheepy Hollow.

"Of course, you could kill us, but why waste such a valuable opportunity?  Elbreth is weak, and we can bring you more wealth by helping you raid it than you would gain by making an enemy of us.  What do you say?"

Jarl Manskinner has received 2 Ducats in tribute.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 08, 2011, 01:28:38 pm »

((Dun dun dun. The plot thickens. By the way. Iituem could you tell me what the three tasks are for me to continue my training as a tactician are? I'd like to continue on with that, unless of course I become more occupied with raids on Elbreth.))
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1497 on: August 08, 2011, 02:21:57 pm »

((Autumn? Does this mean I have to respond to the traitor guard guy?))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 08, 2011, 02:50:28 pm »

((Someone wanna roll for if I live or not? :P ))
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 08, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »

((I'm just waiting on thatkid about the punishment for Taric, then I'm looting Miring's palace and noble estates!))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 188