Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185815 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1320 on: August 03, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »

((..Well at least im not the only person rolling ones.))

The fleet advances.
Its even odds after all. Plus..Not my navy.

Preston:  4 Warships, 1 Warship (Tactician, Oar Banks)
Miring:  2 Warships, 2 Carracks (Heavy)

[Roll: 3, Req: 3]  The lead ship builds up to ramming speed and isolates one of the carracks from the rest of the fleet.  Rather than trying to attack it and risk exposure, the Preston fleet tries to flank the Miring ships on either side [Roll: 2, Req: 3] but fails to co-ordinate properly, giving the Miring fleet an extra spot of manoeuverability.

[4+5+1-1 vs 5+5]  Thanks to the confusion of Preston's fleet, the Miring ships are able to sink a couple of the warships at the cost of one of their own.  The Prestoner fleet attempts to flee but is caught up by the Miring fleet under orders to pursue regardless.  Preston is now on the defensive.

[Roll 1, Req 3]  The attempt by the Prestoners to maintain the split of Miring's navy fails, [Roll 6, Req 3] though they are able to get to the side of the ships and restore their lost advantage with a successful flank.

[6+3+1-1 vs 1+8]  Sheer luck brings a favourable wind to the Prestoner navy and an unfavourable one to Miring, allowing them to pull off a surprising attack on the Miring warships that mirrors Miring's earlier successes.  Miring loses both a warship and a carrack, Preston loses one warship.  Rather than risk continuing the fight, the Preston fleet retreats, satisfied with its damages.

Miring's Fleet:  1 Carrack, 2 Privateer Sloops

Offensive/Defensive Flipping

This battle saw Preston's battle position change from initially offensive to defensive when they tried to flee, failing on their first attempt but succeeding on their second.  A side may only flee a battle automatically if it has advantage.  Whoever won the last round of combat has advantage (in the event of a draw, advantage is retained, and in the event of a draw on the first round the attacker has advantage).  A side without advantage can try to flee anyway, but will only succeed if the opposing side opts not to chase them.  If the opponent does opt to chase them, the flee attempt fails and the opponent becomes the attacker (gaining any unit bonuses to attack and losing any unit bonuses to defence, including terrain and fortification bonuses) whilst the would-be fleeing party becomes the defender.

The default position of armies is to let fleeing enemies run and to flee once they lose a battle.  Standing battle orders can be given to the contrary.  Be warned that fleeing may destroy your attack advantages, but chasing will destroy your defensive advantages.  It may thus be in the interests of a berserker army to remain on the attack as much as it possibly can, even in potentially ruinous circumstances.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 03, 2011, 10:54:38 pm »

((I love how my battles get to be the showcase for cool things that happen. Right. Well then.))

Navy continues on with previous tasks, I want to switch to the infantry fight

So that I can lose even more forces. Huzzah. Least I got a 1:1 k/d with that horrible naval debacle.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2011, 11:08:16 pm »

OOC:
Elbreth only employs the most bad ass diplomats we can find.

In The Castle ~4 Days after Kaguro's Trial, ~6 Days after Sir Taric's Demon-slaying, Day of the War Meeting...

(Sir Taric 1) Your fire brigade does a horrendous job, and tends to throw the water in all the wrong places. Soon the inferno has spread to fill the hallway and you and your men are forced to evacuate. As well, the well is now running low on water.

(Locanil) You follow the lumbering Berte up the steps. The jolly gaoler lets out a gasp as he exits into the open, smoke-filled air. Upon stepping out into the courtyard behind him, you can see why: An entire wing of the castle is on fire, as is the stables where several stable boys, accompanied by a bow-legged stable master, work to rescue the horses.

(Silas 2) You try to avoid the guards but, as can be expected, they're kind of everywhere at the moment. (4) You quickly explain the situation, however, and one of the guard captains seems to believe you. With a nod, he motions for you to follow and join a dwindling bucket brigade led by a powerful looking knight.

(Trubaldsome 6) A moment later you move to ask Waery whether anything was to be salvaged, but it would appear that he's nowhere to be seen. Out in the courtyard, the guards, as well as Silas and Locanil, witness Waery charging into the inferno to recover your possessions, accompanied by those members of your personal regiment who are still uninjured. They return to the courtyard some time later, covered in soot but carrying some of your most valuable possessions, including your soot-stained snuff box, your diary, and a chest containing forged Mirish Bank-notes and some other incriminating evidence that you no doubt meant to dispose of and forgot about.

Elsewhere in the World...

In the Southern Eelspine Range...

(Zimtar Raiders 4) The goatherders have had extensive dealings with the populace of Stonewood, and your men are able to get them to tell you what they know. It would appear that Stonewood militia consists of a single regiment, and little else. There are no secret passageways, but you will need to move through Marquess Kain Vadud II's lands to reach Stonewood. (5) Your regiment commander has survived more raids than any other man, save perhaps yourself, and thus knows quite a bit about tactics. (5) You move as close to Stonewood as possible, circling around Lonemine lands and posing as simple travelers or goatherders wherever you can. It's safe to say that nobody has taken notice of your presence. (4) Similarly, you're able to use a rocky outcropping near the village itself to keep your presence a secret from the locals.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:11:22 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »

((Ah...Can i pick which? So my old regiment is a bunch of traitors... This could get interesting...))

Kain stood in his room frowning. His hand scratched out a quick scribble, then he called out that messenger boy that had worked for him for a while and sent him to Amaryllis with a letter.
He popped a pastille into his mouth and walked into a meeting hall that was filled with his captains.
"Send out a scouting party, and those three men who guarded me on that visit to Sheepstead a while back come and speak to me for a moment in my dining hall...I haven't recognized your friendship."

Arrest the three men who guarded me while I was in Sheepstead and torture them for information about the head spy.
Send out a scouting party.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1324 on: August 03, 2011, 11:32:37 pm »

"Vhen are we gonna have fun?" The male prostitute sat impatiently drumming his fingers.
"I already told you, your being paid for research, not.. Mahtan stops and shivers slightly,"Other services"
"So boring!" leaning his head back in exasperation.
"I'm actually relieved, I was expecting a chamber maid position.. but then I saw..him. The female subject looks at the gigolo uneasily.  Mahtan stares at Gunther.
"I know your use to a different style of work, and that I am studying the human form, but would you PLEASE PUT SOME PANTS ON."
Gunther scoffs, "If I must".

Mahtan continues his research, using his two assistance for busy and prep work so he can concentrate.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 04, 2011, 12:41:00 am »

Locanil would have thought: "why bother with wooden structures if its going to burn down any way?" And " if only I had a few gems".

But Locanil did'nt have time to think.

"I'll help the horses and anyone stuck. Till later Berte."

Action- Help rescue horses from fire.  Look for anyone stuck under debris or surrounded by fire. Help if possible.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 04, 2011, 02:37:42 am »

The Nahk of the Zimtar raider clan is waiting for the news of the raid.
Commander Zacmar "ok men, This is how it is going down two of the goatherders are going to run into town yelling about a bandit attack in another town, a  north eastern  town would be best and that they need assistance. after the militia has run off to assist them we will go in rescue any prisoners, remove any evidence of us being here so remember to make it look like a bandit attack, so loot and steal then burn it down when you leave the now remember to stay dressed as goatherders the whole time, head west after the raid then circle around and go south, now it seems like it will snow tonight so that should help remove our tracks but we will clear them away anyway just in case. we have to be in and out before an hour after the militia have left our sight but 2 hours max. and you four will guard the north east to prevent anyescaped towns folk from alerting the militia."
Nahk state: worried

The battle plan:
two goat herders come from the north east saying that someplace is under attack and that they need help
after the militia have left we attack pretending to be a large group of bandits (loot, steal then burn it down when we leave), we free the prisoners and remove all evidence of the Ztah leave "evidence" of banditsfrom the west
when we leave we will remove our tracks even though it looks like snow
we will leave going west at first then we will head south
we have an hour after the militia leave to be out of sight of the town for safety, two hours max
four guards will prevent the townspeople from escaping to alert the militia

Spoiler: Ztah (Zimtar raiders) (click to show/hide)
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:07 am »

Quote from: Terenos
Navy continues on with previous tasks, I want to switch to the infantry fight

The infantry remain in waiting as per your instructions, though with the added funds (you have spent 5 Ducats out of Miring's 6 Ducat treasury, thanks to Elbreth's support) you have been able to trap the woods north of Miring with a cavalclade of nighmarish mantraps.  Assuming you can lure or force the enemy through the position, they will be in dire straits.

Not that the enemy has arrived yet.  If you were aware of the strange nature of the local timestream, you would guess that no attacks will be forthcoming until the conflict at Preston's border has been resolved.  The gods await General Draven's decision on if/how to attack before that happens.

Arrest the three men who guarded me while I was in Sheepstead and torture them for information about the head spy.
Send out a scouting party.

[1]  Your scouting party takes to the hills in search of anything suspicious, but having only newly been recruited they prove rather inept.  Not only do they fail to locate anything of note, they will take a -1 on their next scouting roll as they continue to learn their new trade.

[5]  It takes a while, and you lose one of the men in the process, but you finally get names.  The guards were approached in the Palace at Sheepstead shortly after the King and all his forces returned from Eelspine.  They were approached by members of a new noble's guard, freshly returned from Miring, and offered some very reasonable sums of money to keep their new employer informed about anything that went on; troop movements, recruiting, battle plans.  One of the guardsmen remained behind in the Palace, having replaced a member of the Palace Guard there, a man by the name of Banquo, and has been serving as their contact since.

Only two new nobles returned from Miring at the start of the year, and one of them lost almost every man under his employ.  You can only draw one conclusion from this; Lady Drua is the spymaster.

Action- Help rescue horses from fire.  Look for anyone stuck under debris or surrounded by fire. Help if possible.

[3]  The horses skitter and panic upon sight of you, but you are able to provide enough assistance to get about two thirds of the horses out before the stables collapse.  It is too risky to rescue the rest.  [2]  Most of those potentially stuck under debris look to be too trapped for you to get them out, or else already gone.  Better to search for bodies later.  Sadly this includes the stablemaster, probably the only person who could have told anyone how the fire started.

[1]  The bucket chain looks to be going absolutely terribly, with water running out and the fire spreading outward from the affected wing toward the centre of the palace.  Drastic measures will probably have to be taken to resolve this before it reaches the court.

Mahtan continues his research, using his two assistance for busy and prep work so he can concentrate.

[4]  Gunther keeps trying to take advantage of Leila, but you are able to hassle them into keeping their minds on the job enough to progress with your work at an appreciable rate.  You have them perform a series of exercises, observing and recording the activity of the various muscles of the body and comparing them to the effects of the fowl carcasses you purchased.

20 points research added.  50/100 research complete.

You are reaching the limit of what you can do without access to a complete, preferably fresh human corpse.  You could work with an incomplete or damaged body, but without a dead human subject at all your work will progress at a much slower rate.

Training Challenge:  Obtain a human corpse.  +10 research points on your next roll if the body is fresh and relatively undamaged.  -10 research points on your next roll if you cannot obtain any kind of human corpse at all.

Whilst you are working, there is a knock on your door.  A guard enters, then leaves immediately when he sees Gunther in a state of undress.  You tell him to come in anyway and ask why he is bothering you.  The guard, a palace sergeant you recognise as being called Banquo, explains that a fire has broken out in the stables and is threatening the east wing.  He recommends you evacuate for the moment and requests that he take your supply of demonstration gunpowder into the palace guard's safekeeping until the fire has been quenched.

The battle plan:
two goat herders come from the north east saying that someplace is under attack and that they need help
after the militia have left we attack pretending to be a large group of bandits (loot, steal then burn it down when we leave), we free the prisoners and remove all evidence of the Ztah leave "evidence" of banditsfrom the west
when we leave we will remove our tracks even though it looks like snow
we will leave going west at first then we will head south
we have an hour after the militia leave to be out of sight of the town for safety, two hours max
four guards will prevent the townspeople from escaping to alert the militia
[/b]

[5]  The goat herders pull off a very convincing act, drawing the main body of the militia out of town on the pretense that one of the new mines is under attack by a heavy force of raiders.  This will give your men a temporary advantage to their raid (+1 to the Raid roll), though it does not guarantee the militia will not get back in time.

[Raid: 6+1, 4]  The raid on Stonewood goes smoothly, your raiders forcing their way into the town and sacking it for all it is worth.  Sadly, the town is still quite small and so all it is worth amounts to some 2 Ducats, roughly equivalent to the entire tax income for the next year.  Raiding the town further will garner no loot, as you have taken everything of value already.

[6]  You go a little overboard with your 'evidence', but at least it should draw eyes away from you.  There is now convincing evidence that this raid was conducted by Suulian mercenaries.

[5]  You luck out on the weather conditions, and manage a track through mostly dry rock westward, before turning south to return to camp.  It even rains heavily after you are nearly back, washing away most of your tracks.  They are unlikely to track you without setting a scouting unit on your trail.

The Zimtar clan raids 2 Ducats.  Sir Taric takes on 2 Ducats of debt from the raid.

You can now upgrade your raider unit with the 'Tactician' upgrade, at a cost of 0.5 Ducats (also increasing their upkeep to 1.5D/year).  Alternately, you could afford to raise a second raider group at the cost of 2 Ducats (1D/year upkeep).

Quote from: Jormundr
Train as a tactician.

Assuming the Hond has no objections, one of the local clan kinsmen agrees to teach you a thing or two about battle tactics.  You have nothing to pay him with, so he instead says that he will demand three tasks of you over the course of your training to settle your debt.  If this is acceptable to you, you may begin.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:22:30 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 04, 2011, 06:16:09 am »

((SONOVABITCH!))

Use everything to put out the fire. Sand, Urine. EVERYTHING!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 04, 2011, 06:35:18 am »

The flames had taken quite a few...Well bodies were useful...Time to summon a spirit, hope this works....

Action- Use a horse corpse to summon a spirit of water. Tell it to extinguish the fire and nothing else. Immediately thank and return it to its realm. If no horse corpse is available ask the people if I can use a body part from the dead to extinguish the fire. Explain the water spirit if needed.

((Also I can't believe how successful the Ztah/Zimtar have been lately.))
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:41:15 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:31 am »

The flames had taken quite a few...Well bodies were useful...Time to summon a spirit, hope this works....

Action- Use a horse corpse to summon a spirit of water. Tell it to extinguish the fire and nothing else. Immediately thank and return it to its realm. If no horse corpse is available ask the people if I can use a body part from the dead to extinguish the fire. Explain the water spirit if needed.

((Also I can't believe how successful the Ztah/Zimtar have been lately.))

[2]  You try to summon a water spirit, taking a dagger and mutilating the horse's body.  However, either because in your haste you mumbled the words to the summoning spell or simply because your sacrifice was insufficient, the spirits do not answer your call.  You may try again with a different offering.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 04, 2011, 07:15:45 am »

((I really like how the battle system is shaping up, Iituem. I can't wait for our side to try some stupidly complex tactic and get our asses kicked.))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 04, 2011, 08:05:10 am »

The Nahk of the Zimtar raider clan is glad for the news of the raid going perfectly.
Nahk"congratulations on your perfect raid"
Commander Zacmar "thankyou my Nahk"[color]
Nahk state: very happy

raise new raider regiment
inquire as to how much it would cost to repair tools?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:29:23 am by NoahTophatz »
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:00 am »

You could spend a ducat to repair them quickly, though if your men work on them with the materials they have they'll be repaired by the new year.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 04, 2011, 08:18:25 am »

The Nahk of the Zimtar raider clan is glad for the news of the raid going perfectly.
Nahk state: very happy

yeah take the slow way and have them repaired by the new year
use both regiments to tame the plateau from nature

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:34:48 am by NoahTophatz »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 188