Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185205 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #915 on: July 23, 2011, 05:33:59 am »

Lots of Antimagic stuff.

Accepted, canon.  With non-magic stuff I generally won't bother vetting it on a case-by-case basis unless it's unbalanced, but I think we'll start dealing with magic specifically from now on.  Most likely explanation for natural anti-magic areas would be large subterranean Kyrite deposits.  No local source of kyrite - exceptionally rare mineral, but more common in the distant lands from whence Locanil comes.  Properties for magic suppression generally unknown outside of areas where magic is more common or accepted but kyrite is also valuable as a component for strengthening steel in arms manufacture, making it in high demand even from mundane nations.

Quote from: NoahTophatz
Searching for uncolonised land in Eelspine.

[1-2]  Your search is not only unsuccessful, but a series of storms and harsh weather are starting to cause you to lose clan members from attrition.

Go check up on Erika (Due to the fact that she may be the closest familial relation to our good king)

[5]  You find Erika in her townhouse, utterly miserable.  She and her maid are packing her things in preparation for moving into General Kaguro's household, but she is openly crying about the matter.  You introduce yourself and she bids the maid prepare a light luncheon for you both.  She is rather unwilling to discuss Kaguro in any detail, though at one point she shudders, mentioning;  "He's... he's just horrible.  He scares me, he's overbearing, he.. he..  and then there's the snuff.  I can't get the image of him laughing and snorting it out of my mind."

((Hmm...This is a peculier condrum...hmm...My only worry is that navy of theirs.Navy has been known to screw plans.))
Request all information on Preston from any spies and such.
((Just so my char knows it.))

Your own spies only extend into the court.  [2]  Alas, being relatively new to the court you do not have a lot of access and so your spies do not reveal any detailed information.  Rumour has it that the diplomat Terenos d'Avistral has a full description of the Preston forces (as of last year), and you could of course just ask the king.  Then again, they'll probably reveal as much as they know during a war council meeting anyway.  (Known Preston forces, at least known to the King's council, are on the OP.)

Setting up spy networks anywhere is likely to cost money and must be attempted deliberately.  Nobles and advisors automatically get (very weak) spies in the king's court, in the sense of just paying the palace servants for gossip.

Finally, both Kain Vadud and Sir Taric are approached by representatives from an alliance of several smelters, forgers and prospectors.  Knowing of your great favour with the King and your own interests in the Eelspine region they wish to set up a large mining and smelting complex to take advantage of the newly discovered iron deposits there.  In order to do this they will require a Charter of Incorporation from the King (to date no such charters have been granted by his predecessors, but this would allow them to form a Company) and funding.  Whilst they are able to obtain funding from private sources of their own, they are offering up to 50% of the Company when formed between the two of you.  You would need to collectively put in 20 Ducats for the company to be formed, but would receive a return of 4 Ducats/year from the profits.

Incorporating such a Company would, in addition to your own cut of the profits, likely increase migration to your own towns.  The trade potential of the region would almost certainly increase.  On the other hand this would strengthen the position of the burghers should they make any demands in the future and would produce a powerful entity in its own right.

(I'm introducing the concept of Corporations and other businesses as a way for players to try and get money in their own right.  A player-owned business requires one non-landed player to run it (the effort of administrating land prevents you from running another business effectively), but any number or type of players may invest in or have shares in it.  The king may rule, if he so wishes, that businesses owned by more than 2 players require a Charter of Corporation to be legal.  Smaller businesses don't require such a charter.)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 23, 2011, 05:40:06 am »

((...
This... This could be trouble. :o ))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 23, 2011, 06:10:53 am »

((Yay! All my stuffs canon!))

((Also Since your here Iituem, could I mention extinct sentient species in my own little descriptions and fluff?))

( I'd also like to ask a question, if I were to hypothetically set up a little exotic boutique that sells goods from the south, how many ducats would be needed to get it up and working and how many ducats would I earn a year?))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:32:51 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 23, 2011, 06:18:48 am »

"Snuff? Milady, Kaguro doesn't even have any snuff as far as I know. And he isn't overbearing nor a womanizer. I've a feeling you were lied to, with all due respect. The only person I know who's like that is Trubaldsome."

Continue talking with Erika.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #919 on: July 23, 2011, 06:20:41 am »

((I kinda like how Trubaldsome's name sounds like troublesome, also True Bald...some  Hence why he wears outlandish hats.  I guess))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 23, 2011, 10:25:29 am »

((I kinda like how Trubaldsome's name sounds like troublesome, also True Bald...some  Hence why he wears outlandish hats.  I guess))
((I assumed he was bald already becouse of name and hats. >.> <.< Also, interesting plot twist, I may not get any lashes after all!))
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:26 am »

"Snuff? Milady, Kaguro doesn't even have any snuff as far as I know. And he isn't overbearing nor a womanizer. I've a feeling you were lied to, with all due respect. The only person I know who's like that is Trubaldsome."

Continue talking with Erika.

[3]  "No, no.  I wasn't-  I remember it happening, it's just... blurry."  Erika seems reticent about the topic.  She frowns a lot, as if she's having trouble thinking about the matter.  "He invited me somewhere, something about an interview, and then..."  She shudders again.  "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

((Also Since your here Iituem, could I mention extinct sentient species in my own little descriptions and fluff?))

( I'd also like to ask a question, if I were to hypothetically set up a little exotic boutique that sells goods from the south, how many ducats would be needed to get it up and working and how many ducats would I earn a year?))

I'd rather keep the sentient species count down to two and a half, as I've already come up with a reasonable explanation for the existence of humans, hatcuri and near-extinct elves.  I'll leave that for anyone who wants to bother researching it, but Thatkid has asked me to think about more of the world backstory to avoid future conflicts.  (That's on the back burner right now, I have RL work to sort out.)

Going to rule on a 5:1 Ducats Startup:Income ratio for small businesses (i.e. 5 Ducats to start, 1 Ducat/year return), with further expansion following the same 5:1 ratio.  I'm not too keen on doing more detail than that, since we aren't making a business sim here.  Might come up with more rules for merchants specifically, but anything over that will probably be handled on Annual Events (if any).
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 23, 2011, 11:18:00 am »

"Fair enough milady. Though I wonder why you told Trubaldsome first, I would've thought that the king would be the first to know if something like that happened Shall we go see if lunch is ready?"

Go to lunch with Erika.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:06 pm »

FInally somebody not refusing to talk.The Jarl prepared himself for the meeting. His army was moved into Mc Kenzie lands offering protection in case of a trap but far enough away to prevent that the Mc Murrays think it a setup. The sign in case od danger was easy, Reg was handed a horn and should the meeting turn out to be a trap- well the army would be at least timely enough there to kill the assassins.

It was still the hour of the wolf as the Jarl, Reg , Reek Taggart and the Pearsons aswell as Chief Terrence McKenzie reached the meeting point.

await the meeting to begin sound the horn in case of a trap

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 23, 2011, 01:54:41 pm »

((
I'd rather keep the sentient species count down to two and a half, as I've already come up with a reasonable explanation for the existence of humans, hatcuri and near-extinct elves. 
Wut? Elves are alive? I thought I was from a long-lived family?  Or is that just me?))

Request information about Preston fromTerenos d'Avistral in order to plan a stratagy.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 23, 2011, 04:44:20 pm »

OOC: Wow. Definitely a lot of stuff has happened while I was away. This business aspect sure seems like it could be interesting. However it seems like my actions from last week still have gone left unanswered (unless I missed something). So in case it was forgotten..

The raider clans talk amongst themselves and agree that they will help out with raids to the point of lending you a regiment of their raiders each - but they demand a total of 4 Ducats in pay from the raids when they happen.  The raiders will join you in the new year.

[5] The raiders explain that the Ztah steppe stretches as far as they are aware to the south and west, and the Eelspine stretches as far south as they know to the west.  The Ztah Steppe roughly separates into five provinces; North, South, East, West and Central Ztah (you are in North Ztah).  Eelspine borders the Steppe all the way down to South Ztah.  Your own scouts into Brighthall report that of the two provinces neighbouring North Ztah (Brightwatch and Silverbark), Brighthall is still maintaining a guard of 1 regiment in Silverbark and 2 regiments in Brightwatch.

Perform a raid on Silverbark with my regiment plus the two Ztah. Then watch for the response from the soldiers in Brightwatch.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 23, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »

OOC: Mr.Pompular, because you didn't list a power source (that I know of) for summoning the shadelings I am going to simply go with the summoning rules outlined here.
Since you didn't specify the direct cost in your post, I'll just assume you're transforming the air.

If I missed someone in this post, my apologies. Post here or shoot me a PM quoting whatever it was I missed.

In the Dead Plains
(Pompulion 6) You mutter an incantation, focusing your willpower towards controlling dark beings from beyond this world and manifesting them in the present. The air around you begins to waver, and then suddenly, just like that, you are on your knees gasping for air that is no longer there. As you choke and claw at your throat, fifteen dark shade-like beings, twice the amount you were hoping for, mill about around you tugging at your subconscious as they work to break free. (6) You manage to hold them to you for a moment longer, though once more you find yourself directing more energy to the task than is necessary, energy that you can't afford to lose. The world around you begins to dim as seven or eight more manifest themselves, consuming air even as it works to fill the vacuum you have trapped yourself in. (5) Finally you manage to wrest control from yourself, grappling with the darker parts of your mind and beating your willpower into submission. Air rushes in to the bubble of nothing that surrounds you, buffeting you from all sides.

You awake several hours later with dried blood on your face and your clothes literally torn apart by the wind. Of the twenty-two or twenty-three shadelings that you have allowed into this world, only seven -- perhaps eight, for with the way they shimmer and shift in the air you cannot count them -- remain. Though know that though you can no longer feel the others in the back of your mind, they did not return to the void.

In the Weyland Hills
(Corv Manskinner) Donald McMurray, the patriarch of the clan, arrives with his five sons at roughly the same time you do. Firmly planting his feet, he crosses his arms over his chest and eyes you up and down. "Well then," he says in a gruff voice, "Go on."

In Silverbark
(Sir Jormund) You lead your troops into the Silverbark lands, intent on raiding the lands therein. Because your personal regiment is not trained to raid, they serve only to bog down the raiders, negating their bonuses. (+3 in battle, instead of the +4 you'd have had. Unable to withdraw without being caught on a roll of 4+)
(2) Your forces are able to nab 2 ducats worth of goods and supplies from the local farms before the defenders find them. (1+3) Your forces quickly surround the defenders, (4+1) who fight back valiantly. Two of the three regiments that accompanied you on your raid are quickly wiped out, but the defenders are slaughtered to the man. (5) You and the remaining regiment are still in a good enough shape to abscond with the 2 ducats.
You may decide which 2 regiments were destroyed.

In Eelspine...
A runner who's loyalty has been ensured by the king was no doubt dispatched to Kain's estate with the following information:
-Preston attacks Miring with the aid of Mirish rebels.
-Elbreth prepares to defend its lands, and Miring has called for aid.
-(Any information related to Preston that can be found on the first post of this thread)

There is no mention of invasion plans, perhaps to prevent Preston spies from hearing anything more substantial than rumors to that effect.

During Locanil's Meeting...

The King listens intently to the Hatcuri's explanation, and then spends some time quietly studying the plans presented. Finally, after a long and uncomfortable silence he asks a simple question: "Kusam sap...is not necessary, however?" He pauses a moment, and before Locanil has a chance to reply, Erik then fires off several other questions. "Could you work these designs into a fortified building of some sort, meant to hold prisoners? Do you know of any nations with access to Kyrite?"

During War Prepartions...

The King calmly listened to the Diplomat and the Grand Master's views. Finally, he raised his off-hand to quiet the table and spoke. "You have both made many valid points, however the Grand Master has forgotten to account for one regiment in his plans. That being the regiment which I initially raised to guard the Lady Drua during her travels. That regiment, alongside both Lord Terenos' and Lady Drua's personal guards, as well as Lord Terenos' considerable luck, should be enough to bolster the defender's long enough for our offensive to take effect."
He paused a moment, eyes sweeping across the gathered nobles before continuing on. "The rest shall progress as the Grand Master's plan indicates. However..." he paused again, a frown on his face as he glanced down at his injured hand. A moment later, he began speaking once more, "However, upon reaching the heart of Preston lands Lord yl Marchis and his regiments will move to capture Preston ports whilst the rest of the offensive army, led by General Kaguro, will work to capture Preston's capital. With such an affront to their strength, Preston will have no choice but to withdraw from Miring lands as Grand Master Black intended."

He paused again, looking over those gathered for any sign of what they may have thought of his alterations to the original plan. After a pause, he asked "If you've any objections, speak of them now. If not," he looked over to Advisor Ochita, "Then it is best that our diplomat begin his journey to Suul, ostensibly to once more attempt to strengthen trade relations. A ducat worth of gifts will be provided. However, your main goal should be to ensure that they remain out of the war, or at the very least provide naval aid against Preston."

With that, the King signaled over his steward. "Go and raise those regiments outlined in the Grand Master's proposal. See to it that any nobles who have the ability to raise regiments of their own with which to bolster our troops are given the necessary funds, no more and no less. I suspect they will need to contact you first, of course."

Raise 2 infantry regiments and a single KnightCavalry regiment, using the six open land parcels, the town, and the market. (8 parcels in total).
4 Ducats spent.
E: One ducat spent on gifts for Advisor Ochita to take with him to Suul.

11 Ducats left over.

Any nobles who can still raise regiments this year, personal or otherwise, may contact the King's Steward to receive necessary funds. There is no shame in having to disband a regiment at the end of the war.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:49:31 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 23, 2011, 05:47:37 pm »

Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Silas looks around the room quickly.

>Quick! Hide under the bed!
Pretty sure this still hasn't been responded to.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 23, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »

((Long post again... And OK Iituem)

Locanil blinked. The king was going to let the mages feel all the pain of kusite. Well He himself had never felt the pain, the little magic he knew was not truly magic, just asking the spirits for aid.

Locanil rose and said

"Kusam sap is indeed uneeded. however, everyone with even a hint of magic in their blood, known or not, will be in pain or in a state of perpetual uncomfort."

He though for a few seconds on the second question and answered

"The design could be turned into a prison yes or a fortress. It could be made into a crypt even, perhaps anything. It would even be more cost efficient than a tower, just take a longer production time; not really important unless lord wished to off the production for certain times.

And lord, kyrite is common enough nearer to my lands. The nearest and most open to trade would be the Swastamik, Korlan, and Aphti. Last two nations city-states to south-east coast at least four weeks travel to Korlan and seven to Aphti. the borders of Swastamik can be reached in five weeks, much longer to get anywhere containing kyrite.

Korlan has extensive kyrite mines that were discorvered little more than eight years ago. Lives of it and are currently at war with many nations. Its government is an elective monarchy. Rulers reign twenty years. City and surrounding area is natrual anti-magic.

Aphti has no local kyrite. It is an island-state made  of 56 small isles (most are very small, some medium sized). It is the place of trade for much of the region. Has many outposts scattered around the coast and on islands on the sea as well as farther lands.Extremely large merhant/military fleet. kyrite common enough from trade, still more expensive than Korlan. Ruled by council of merchants and sea-captains. These are elected by fellow merchants, land-owners, other captains.

Swastamik has smatterings of kyrite kyrite scattered all over. A kingdom that once ruled of Korlan, Aphti, and the other nations in that region. Holds sway over much land , at least 8x the size of our neighbour Brighthall. Weaker now due to instability and rebellion and corruption;still strong. Army is strong, navy is weak after most of it was taken away by rebels 23 years ago. Is often at war with its former subjects. Tribesmen often attack it west and north while raiders from the east often strike whats left of its coastal provinces. The south is mostly secure. Ruled by an emperor and council. The emperor's line had been the same for generations and the council is "democratically" elected by the people.

There are other nations that hold kyrite, but these are easiest to trade with."

Locanil knew he had spoken much more than what was needed, but he was follower of Oritziem.

"My lord, if you intend to military take a kyrite source, then I would not reccomend any direct attacks. Using sabetours, spies, and assassins as well as paying mercenaries and raiders and other more indirect routes would be better.

Finally lord, the lands which I came knows many technologies that seem absent here. I might know not how they work, but I know how some do and regardless, we could reproduce some with enough skill.""

Locanil waited and thought of the possiblities...Glorious...Discoveries....Statecraft....The things great Histories are made of....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:43:04 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 23, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »

"Wait my lord, before you do Lord Knaveston's plan, my lord has a an alternative plan for you to consider!" Amaryllis appears from a doorway, handing a slip of slight scorched paper to the king, stating Amaryllis is indeed working for Kain.

"My Lord's plan is to build a small wall across the Parcels of land that make up the border of Preston and Elberath, then too have it patrolled by the Good General Kaguaro.
Then four or more regiments for march through Miring to gather up any soldiers that they have. Then two regiments take up encampment on the sides of a valley or ravine. Then the other regiments march up and burn any ships in the Harbour. Then when Preston's main forces notice the burning the Royal army retreat past the valley. The enemy regiments, hopefully not too many...march through the valley and get ambushed by the Royal Regiments.
Then while this is distracting them another force of Royal regiments marches north of the wall and smashes through the defence of the city and lays pressure on the northern side. If the Royal regiments survive the fighting in the valley they can push north.
So in short. They are stuck between two larges forces. One side is a wall and one side is the ocean.They have no Navy. A few regiments are dead and the Royal army is conquering most of the south and north."
"My Lord Kain, could have thought out some better plans but he is kept busy with his city and has had almost no time to come up with better plans."
She finishes, out of breath and slightly tired.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 188