Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185207 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #885 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:16 am »

Kaguro hid it well but ground his teeth in rage at the result of this farce. Oh Trubaldsome would pay, in blood, but not now, later, when it would be more.......oppertune. He bowed before his king, he may have commited no crime but he would listen to the King's ruleing. As he left the court room he called over one of his men, to tell him to get the ducat sent to Trubaldsome immediately. No point in wasteing time and trying to get it put off. He also sent orders for the alchemist to be brought to the king, so that he could work out the details of the deal with the king. He would hold off the marrage for now, would make no sense to marry someone who's likely to slice your throat while you sleep after all.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #886 on: July 22, 2011, 01:17:04 am »

((I'm ready for the king whenever I guess))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 22, 2011, 01:18:36 am »

Search for unsettled land on this side of the mountains [east]
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 22, 2011, 02:08:51 am »

((Wait, who did Drua get married to again? I forget. Talk about a shotgun (crossbow?) wedding. :P ))
Waery, standing patiently at the door of Drua's quarters, is momentarily taken-aback by the warm welcome he recieves. Never-the-less, he quickly clears his throat and gives a small, ungainly bow.
"Ah, Missis Apothecary? I be Captain Waery, servant to Trubaldsome o' Miring. M'Lord Trubaldsome wishes ye to attend him at 'is quarters, on apothecary biz'ness an' whatnot."
Not knowing what to do then, he decides on another clumsy bow, followed by a couple of nods.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 22, 2011, 02:22:19 am »

((She married some noble in Miring))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:18 am »

Locanil had spent the night teaching Berte how to write and read. He had eventually learned how to write down his and his family's name. Berte was thankful and Locanil promised to teach him more. That was a start of a friendship perhaps, Locanil thought.

The next day he spent the morning going through the archives. After some questioning, he had eventually found out where the more recent records were kept. He still had to interview the rest of the king's court so that he could create his chronicle...

Later on Locanil left for his appointment with the king.

" Great lord, I know not your plans but you seek to know how to block effects of magic.

I learnt how to block magic back when I was traveling; I spent 3 months with a company of engineers. We built towers that blocked the effects of magic. This is the best I could draw of one such tower"

Locanil presented a crudely drawn picture of an anti-magic tower

"As you can see lord, its a fairly large structure. However my lord, smaller versions can be made easily, these ones were mainly made so large to impress and to make it easier to spread the air. In fact king, a tower is not necessary. We only really need the pipes and the bottom of the tower. The rest of the process can be done in the main body, just somewhat slower. It would take 2 hours without the tower component and half-hour  with the full tower component and at the size in the drawing. To be clear, the tower in the drawing is roughly 150 meters. Unfortunately lord, I know of no way we could transport the air easily since it loses its ability to prevent magic soon after 10 minutes.

If my lord wonders, we need kyrite dust and kusam sap because kusam naturally creates a feeling of calm and numbs pain while kyrite crystal naturally prevents magic, we just break it down to make it easier to spread. The calm feeling is needed as kyrite causes an extremely uncomfortable feeling to mages; can't let em know they're being affect. Everyone will also be affected unless they can find a way to prevent breathing in the affected air. I know none

We can easily get cusam from traders, they are also easy to find in this region, especially a weeks travel south, I saw much there. Kyrite much harder to acquire. We could probably trade it if only we could get access to the sea or make trade routes to the south where the mines are more common. There may be some in the ground under us; wouldn't know.

Finally lord, there are naturally occurring anti-magic areas. They are hard to detect and most have been come upon by accident. I know none in the region.

That is all I know lord. I sorry if it is not to your liking"

Locanil then bows, waiting to be dismissed or questioned

(( Don't know how to display images properly, sorry.))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:46:58 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06:50 am »

Drua nods, a bit confused, and then heads into her quarters for a moment, returning with a small satchel. She smiles, "Alright, lead the way."
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:38 am »

Ive edited my last post. Important read for thatkid.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:13 am »

Waery nodded, grunted, "This way, Misiss Apocethary," and without another word turned and set off, striding along the various twistings and turnings of his usual route through the castle. He glanced thoughtfully aside as he noticed a door ajar on one side of the hallway, but said nothing, and soon he reached the door to his Lord's quarters.
Knocking twice, he called, "Missis Drua th' Apocethary 'ere to see yer, M'Lord."
After a couple of moments, Trubaldsome's voice answered, "Yes, come in!"

Waery swiftly opened the door for Drua, stepping in after her and moving to take up position to one side of the doorway, clasping his hands behind his back.
Trubaldsome was seated behind his tidy, well-kept desk, and he rose and nodded a greeting as Drua entered.
"Ah, thankyou, Lady Drua, for coming on such short notice. I am sorry to disturb you, truly." He was all smiles as he spoke, then he gestured to another chair set on the other side of his desk with a sweep of a finely-clothed arm. "Please, sit, I have important matters to discuss with you; matters pertaining to your profession."
He took up a crystal decanter filled with wine, poured a glass for Drua and one for himself. This done, he resumed his seat, taking a thoughtful sip.

"Now, Lady Drua, in your work as a noted Apocethary, I presume you preserve a certain... Confidentiality, between yourself and your clients?" He raised an eyebrow, then continued. "I am sorry to ask this of you, but I must request that you swear none of what I speak shall pass beyond this room. I have need to discuss some rather... Delicate matters, ones unfit for the ears of anyone else." Shifting in his seat, he shouted at Waery, in a sudden breach of his cool decorum, "That means you, Waery! Get yourself gone, man!"
"So, Lady Drua," He spoke again in his calm, collected voice as he looked back, "Can you assure me you will not breath a word of this to any other?"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 22, 2011, 04:44:35 am »

((Iituem, Ive looked at OP and I haven't seen my guy anywhere, I don't know if this is intentional but if it is, good idea.))
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 22, 2011, 05:35:42 am »

Terenos d'Avistral leaned over the map, as the Grand Master explained his proposed battle strategy, nodding solemnly.

"It is foolish." Terenos said calmly, to the shock of those assembled.
"I will explain. We have no knowledge of Miring forces, but are well assured that Prestons forces dwarf them. In addition Preston commands a modest navy that will no doubt plague Miring's coastal trade for some time.

By the time I have ridden, much land may already be lost. Thusly I will be moving with all speed towards the Castle at Port Sleen. The King of Miring most likely intends to win this war defensively, and hold on until our aid can arrive. One regiment is -not- military aid, and I find it suspect that the Grand Master would send me out so ill prepared.

Two barely approaches what could be considered aid. 3 regiments -might- be sufficient to even the odds enough that the counter-attack on Preston's lands will not meet their victorious armies, glutted on Miring's wealth. I would request that General Kaguro, and his personal guard at the least rides with me."

Terenos then circled the table to point at the map. "The approach from Eelspine would take time. I am certain we would need to buy many months through combat for their return to be of value. So it is imperative that I have the troops to do so. That said, parts of this plan are wisely considered. Other parts are not."

((Dun dun dun, What possible reason could Terenos discern for the Grand Master suggesting so few forces be sent to Miring immediately? And him at their head? Either Terenos is a miracle worker, or a man too dangerous to live, in the Grand Masters scheme of things.))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:07 am »

((A look at the Grand Master's battle plan for those who missed it:))

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88484.msg2454995#msg2454995

The Grand Master was taken aback from the diplomats rebuff of his strategy. He clenched his jaw as he listened, his eyes sharpened at Terenos as he listened intently. He was not in the habit of being called foolish, even from advisors to the King.

“Terenos, perhaps you do not understand fully my plan.”
he stated, trying to keep his tone even and free from any hint of the frustration that boiled underneath his skin. “As I stated, your force was only meant as a token defensive force until the main force arrived. You are correct in stating we do not know the true disposition of Miring Forces. That is why I asked for you and your regiment to act as a Vanguard, so you might report back to us. Not an army of liberation.”

The Grand Master took a deep breathe, calming himself a little as he was allowed to explain. “The Castle at Miring is a true fortress, or so I'm told. Even with a few ships I highly doubt the forces of Preston would be able to simply take her without a lengthy siege. The King will have the bulk of his forces there no doubt keeping her walls full.”

He leaned over the map pushing figures representing armies through the Eelspine then into Miring.

“You are correct in saying that the movement of Troops through the Eelspine will take time, but it would be 'foolish'” he allowed a beat for his choice of wording to sink in, “To think you could go on an offensive without this Army. Now truth be told I thought you would be best to lead this first Vanguard because the King has already met you, and you saved him once before. Lady Drua and her husband's Men would be there to accompany you, so there are 2 regiments right there. But if you are too afraid to travel back to Miring without half the Royal Army to hide behind, perhaps one of the other Lords might be better suited to this endeavour?  Lending two more regiments to your cause would blunt our own attack in Preston too much, or leave our realm too vulnerable to attack. No the King of Miring can wait for the six regiments from the Eelspine.” He finished speaking, his simmering words now quiet as he watched Terenos and the King.

((he he, I think the Grand Master takes things too seriously sometimes. And has an anger problem.))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:08:52 am by Knave »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 22, 2011, 08:33:10 am »

((Now if only you had something really powerful to use.. like.. something explosive.. or something.. or even just a machine that launches weapons, like an axe, or sword.. or something.. oh well))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 22, 2011, 08:51:50 am »

(( Expanding on that point,We could make a cannon that fires swords that blow up when it touches flesh, probably impractical but it would be cool... well go ahead and make it, we have an  alchemist after all...))
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 22, 2011, 10:40:50 am »

Terenos smiled warmly and stroked his beard. "Ah, so your Order promotes ill-considered military tactics in order to allow for a winnowing of those not faithful to your..beliefs. You would clearly have us lend no real military aid to Miring until such time as their armies are routed and scattered. Hopefully doing some small damage to Prestons forces. Thusly our armies would arrive as saviors to find nothing left in Miring to resist our thinly disguised conquest."

Here, Terenos' smile fades. His eyebrows furrow and he levels a glare at the Grand Master. "I must be an obstacle to this plan, to see my life squandered so. Or did you expect a single regiment traveling alone to somehow ward off the enemy? With sharp words perhaps? Faith? I would be fortunate indeed not to run afoul of odds more than 3 to 1 against me. Or am I expected to lead, and to run. Run and create an image of myself as a coward. A prudent coward certainly, but a coward nonetheless. I will not so easily fall to your schemes to discredit me in the future."

Terenos brightens again. "Or perhaps. Oh yes this would be most fitting. You should go in my place. I shall prepare and lead the armies out of the Eelspine, because I am such a coward that I've killed at least four dozen men, alone and unarmed in hostile territory. And you can have one regiment, and go to the aid of Miring alone."

With that, Terenos slams his hand down on the table.
"Let me reiterate for I do not think you grasped the brunt of my point. Miring is besieged. The only aid that comes, comes from us. The Lady Drua, I am sure will do her part, but the regiment her husband is entitled to raise is likely already brought to the fight. And thusly of no help to whomever goes on this 'mission'. The castle? Has there been so much treachery already uncovered that you think they are proof against it from here on out? If we are unaware of what forces Miring claims, is it not prudent to ensure that our own forces are not squandered? Have we so large an army that we can throw regiments away to chance, or the whims of the Gods?

I do not think to go on the offensive, even remotely so without the regiments from the Eelspine. I seek to have the capacity to save lives, on a defensive footing. Or should we simply sit here and bicker while people die needlessly. I had heard rumors your faith promoted action. I see now what it truly calls for in its leaders."

((Ooh look a grudge in its early stages.))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:42:38 am by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 188