Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185117 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Spring 315a)
« Reply #2610 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »

Drua pays for the stay at the inn, loosely mapping out the knowledge she'd need to gain. Goddess, this was a large project, but she knew she could complete it. Her steward would be protecting her property, and she knew she could get some more money from her steward if needed. Hearing that lizard's plans, Drua agreed and gives Locanil loose contact directions to a few inns and shelters in the next province over. Time for a journey. Renting a horse from the local stable, she details out the plans to head into the Republic of Groaning and head to the capital of Groan, where she'd do her best to find a crafter skilled in the art of alchemy, someone who could forge gemstones or do the complex plating procedure that would allow her to study the process.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »

Editor's note: This notebook was found in a shipwreck recently unearthed. It is a diary by a man only known as Hanja, and probably from Kronstadt, which is a historical area in northern Storm Coasts. From the political situation described, the book was an authentic description of life in the first half of 300a's by a veteran seaman. A great part of it is devoted to the different cultures and people he has seen in his voyages, and this opens a new door to history from a very personal angle. So personal, that sometimes one might find his ideas about different cultures questionable, or even outright offensive to the modern reader. But he was bound to his time; after all, it was just the 300a's, and just like how we today will question the approach of someone from the storm coast at that time, so will he do towards the seemingly alien cultures.

We understand that we can never capture the full spirit of this book, due to the use of antiquated and colloquial constructions and language. We strife to make sure that our rendering of this in modern tongue is as close to the original in meaning as possible, and we thank the professors at the University of Vasir for their generous help.

((So Hanja's journey begins...))

x.x.315a

We've reached land.
Three days before, we were nearly caught by pirates. In a storm. Heinz was shot in the head by an arrow. They certainly have a good sharpshooter. I took helm of the ship, as customary of a first mate. Knowing that we could not escape by playing safe, I ordered my men to hoist full sail. The ship was rocking heavily in the sea, like a leaf in the wind. Even the most experienced men couldn't stand on the deck - including myself. We could only pray, some of us were so desperate to pray to the elemental demons, who, by the light are false gods. Thanks to valatoi, as his light finally shines upon us, and the pirate ship was nowhere to be seen.

Our ship was in bad condition. our sails are battered. Even worse, some holes are appearing in the hull. With the storm gone, what we can do is to try to keep ourselves afloat, our sails effective, and full speed in one direction. We reached the city of Vasir today, and we told our men to moor and repair the ship, sell the goods, while I approach the local guild office that Heinz belonged to. As customary, all captains will entrust their maritime property to their first mates to succeed them, should they die, to avoid complications. And I'm now captain, captain of this boat Fronen, which I have been on for two years, which everyone is my mate.

It must be the biggest day of my life.

x.x.315a

Bad news. Turns out Heinz was not a good businessman. He got good friends in the guild, to be sure, but while I inherit those friends, I also have to inherit a 4d debt that he had incurred. He friends must be very tolerant of him, considering how large the debt has grown.

And our men are rotting in this city for almost two weeks. Two weeks, other than patching up the ship, was to wait for news that we are in debt. I'm sorry for them. But life must continue. I'll go to the markets and fill up this ship. This city is certainly famous for its grain; Let's fill our ship up with this. Tomorrow we'll sail southwest. We'll never know what comes up, but riches certainly lie away from the Storm Coasts.

Buy Grain from Vasir, using guild credit. Sail southwest to Groaning.

Spoiler: Hanja (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:47:42 pm by evilcherry »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 24, 2011, 09:14:25 pm »

"Yes... Merely a representation..." Trubaldsome was nodding at Norm's words, eyes narrowed thoughtfully.
"I suppose we can make a new one, then. As for funding, well, good luck finding any funds out there, hm?"
He waved a hand lazily towards the window, overlooking the battle-scarred city, a few hardier people attempting to rebuild their lives nothing more than specks moving through the rubble, a far cry from the plush, well-appointent office in which they sat, with comfortably padded chairs, cushions and drinks tables.
"I am not quite sure what starting up a 'church' entails; I am sure you shall be quite capable of handling it."
He scratched at his cheek with a ringed finger, watching the man for a moment longer before saying, "If I happen to find any extra funds, I shall let you know."
Now, losing interest in the priest for the moment, he took another sip of wine and turned to the other man.
"That... Sounds very interesting..." He glanced over at the pigeon, which was now perched on the window, peering in at Meng through the bars. Trubaldsome blinked, then went on, "Bandits, assassinations, tamed 'beasties'... All sounds very exciting indeed." He set his glass down with a clink, assessing the blind man for a moment.
"How about, perhaps, for your first... Assignment, we start with something rather simpler?"
He gestured over towards a simple, overloaded wooden bookshelf, seemingly just about bursting at the seams with scrolls, records and leather-bound ledgers. "Now, since the death of my brother Leuki, and the anarchy that followed, many... Well, most of Miring's trading partners took their business elsewhere. I want you to take a ship- Once we've replaced those destroyed in the siege- and head across the sea to renew agreements with a few of them."
He raised a brow, and wiped his brow with a handkerchief as he let that sink in, "I imagine it should be a good way to test your abilities, hm? Do you accept?"
Trubaldsome sipped impatiently from his wine as he awaited a response, glancing between the two men seated across from him.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: August 24, 2011, 09:35:43 pm »

" Thank you for your time, my lord."
Build a shrine in the city.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36:55 pm »

Aulon made his way into the courtyard wearily, flanked by two of his pikemen. He hadn't shaved or bathed in weeks, and it showed. His clothes were still worn and ragged, though mostly clean. This wasn't really how you were supposed to go to Kings. Well, it would just prove the truth in his letters.

King Erik showed no emotion, standing at the gate, just watching him. Aulon bowed deep and cleared his throat. 'Your Highness.' he mumbled.

'My King, I am here, as I promised in the letter. I am sorry Lord Trubaldsome could not be here, but the Mirish people needed him after the travesties performed upon them. I speak for both of us.'

He gauged for some reaction, but got nothing. 'I've already explained what happened in my letter, and, uhh... may we speak in private?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 25, 2011, 04:54:18 am »

((Yes, this is a bump of sorts))

As Locanil traveled the streets of Acre/Ache, he thought of the history of this place. Actually, it was kind of getting boring just walking around, perhaps some thoughts about home would help? Yes a little lesson for the mind...

The continent of Bhalen is mostly controlled by one individual, the Emperor. In the old days, he could have mountains demolished in a week, cities slaughtered in a day, and armies raised in an hour. Today however, the Emperor is of a more ceremonial role...His cities and kingdoms are in the care of kings, priest, merchants, despots, even the rare consul. This fall from power was not instantaneous; it was a gradual thing born from the emperor's laziness...

Well that was enough of a lesson for now, Locanil thought. Best to get back on task.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:14 am »

((I thought everybody just clicked show ne w replies to your posts nowadays? Much easier than bumping))

"Aye, I accept... so just how long 'till these ships are rebuilt? I'd imagine it taking a while before I can set of, anything you'd have me do in the meantime?"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:17:45 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 25, 2011, 06:11:02 am »

Captain A'Valti knew what he needed, he had ideas on how to get it. His problem was that with all the enemies he would gain through all the easy ways. Given the rumors of the Storm Coast Trade Guild making moves into the Elbrethian territory, if he ever planned to get his Consortium off the ground - now was the time. If only he could manage the first step...

After a good round of thought, he figured it out...

The poster was hung in all the blue-blood, market and common areas of Preston:

Attention Nobles, Merchants and Citizens of Preston

I make this notice for the simple reason of putting ducats into your hands and pockets. It is a very simple concept - Funding, with great returns.

The plan? Fund the Consortium of Traders.
The payment? For every ducat invested, you will receive 1.5 ducats at year's end - each year.

My reasoning is also simple - The Storm Coast Trade Guild has been sighted in Elbrethian lands. Elbreth has no current standing trade association to compete in the growing markets.

The draw for all the nobles? The king gives you lands, but doesn't allow you to own any businesses.

The draw for all you other merchants? Profits without your name being attached to any ships or caravans. No harm to you or your name should unsightly things happen.

The draw for all citizens? Simple ducats!

Currently, my personal fleet consists of a large cargo carrack and a soon to be cargo clipper. Capable of hauling 4 units of goods from Suul to Vasir and back again - hitting every port on the coast in the process. The fleet will only grow, but to do so a formal Guild needs to be established.

Inquiries? Please, seek your details and answers to question aboard my ship - Night Runner located in the docks. We shall remain here for a time, but will make port at least twice each season.

With the last of the posters hung, A'Valti returned to his ship...hopeful. He would also put the posters up in every city they went to.

((Offer is extended to PCs (and NPCs if possible)))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:30:10 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 25, 2011, 06:22:23 am »

A few hours later
As Meng finishes his visit too Troubaldsome and glad with the work he has found, heads out of the castle and spots some newly put up posters calling for investment to a trade consortium promising a %50 return each year... definitely a profitable investment, Meng headed to the docks to give his hard earned ducat to the aspiring merchant

Invest 1 ducat into the trade consortium

((FAKE EDIT: Just realized you hung them in Preston... you should try Miring too  ;) ))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:45:37 am by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: August 25, 2011, 06:32:05 am »

"Hrm... Don't know much about ships. Not particularly interesting." And indeed, Trubaldsome's face did not betray any love of ships as he sipped his wine, thinking. He lowered his glass and looked at Meng, shrugging his elegantly-clothed shoulders.
(He was once more wearing his favoured green coat, but along with a short cape of black striped with blue and purple, something he'd seen his father wear. A sign of royalty, no-doubt, and it looked fancy. Good enough for Trubaldsome.)

"Well, if it will take a while, I suppose you could just wander about the city, see what's going on, gauge the mood of the people." He cocked an eyebrow for a moment, then continued, deadpan. "Keep an, er, eye on the place as it were." 
He quickly hid his expression in another sip of wine, then set the glass down and folded his hands before him.

"Well, I welcome you both to my service, and believe me, the rebuilding of Miring shall be beneficial... To all involved."
His voice faltered, he felt a slight bit dizzy. He felt a need to lie down for a bit. He quickly hid his discomfort and forced a smile to his lips.
"I shall have quarters prepared for both of you, in the castle, hm?" Suiting actions to words, he waved Waery over, who had slipped back inside the room at some stage, unnoticed. "Waery, have someone set these two up with rooms, could you? In the guest wing." He nodded and settled back in his chair as Waery opened the door, moving to speak to one of the castle staff outside.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: August 25, 2011, 07:45:44 am »

Left to his own devices Meng decides to try and lighten the mood of the Mirish peasants and heads to the town square stopping on the way to buy a dozen large earthenware plates, he's going to put on a show.

He tosses a plate into the air, Percy flies just above it and squawks, less than a second later a bolt flies through it smashing it to bits.

"Come Mirish citizens! Look I may be blind but I can see as well as any of you" To demonstrate Meng tossed another plate into the air, and as Percy squawked above it let of another shot which again hit the plate squarely. "Behold the spectacle!" He could tell people were gathering as the brisk clipping of feet on cobblestones turned to a slow shuffling.

Perform for the Mirish Peasants, after the show see if anybody can use my skills for a job, removing a group of thugs/looters or something
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:53:57 pm by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: August 25, 2011, 01:48:17 pm »

Knavston paused to consider what Ardas had said for aa long while, before taking a sip from his cup. “An exploited pawn you say?” He let the smallest of smiles edge upwards on the corner of his lips, “I must say, if this is a ruse from the Storm Coast Guild, it must be an elaborate one.”

Setting his cup down once more he leaned back in his chair, “I will delay any decision on the Guild Traders for now. I will have more information on their practices and ways before accepting any deal offered. I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll have someone fix you quarters in the fort if you'd like.”

Before letting Ardas go, the Grand Master spoke one more time, “If you ever get tired being exploited by the Storm Coast Trade Guild, you should consider a royal position here with the Kingdom or the Cyclicist church. I'm sure we could use a travelled individual like yourself to help with the finances. We can't have ourselves be bullied by the foreign merchants of kings from across the sea.”

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 25, 2011, 03:03:41 pm »

((Its Hans, not Ardas))

Thank you your Grace, but I am in a hurry. I only ask of you to prepare a letter for His Majesty King Erik that informs him of this situation and of my knowledge about the affair. I will bear that letter myself to him, or if you prefer, get the fastest horses and messenger. I might speak to him about a royal position nonetheless, if you are willing to support a stranger.

He paused for a moment, then turned towards the doors.

I must beg your pardon and leave now. I will be in the "Red Anchor" tavern until morning, so if you choose me to bear the letter, your men may find me there.
May God be with you, your Grace.

He opened the door and left  the chamber.

Leave for the tavern to stay until morning (and wait for the letter) and send for my cargo ships to head towards Suul. Leave for Sheepstead afterwards, with or without the letter.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 25, 2011, 03:24:05 pm »

Castle Sheepstead's Courtyard, Early Spring...

It was all Erik could do not to open with some remark in regards to the Storm Coast Noble's appearance, or worse, to have his men simply arrest him on the spot. His expression was masked by the shadows, however, moonlight glimmering off the pommel of his father's longsword. Commander Leif looked between the King and the nobleman, visibly tensing in the silence. Finally, Erik began to speak: "Very well, we may convene in the throne room. Your men know where the barracks are, I trust?"
Then, in a display of hubris, Erik turned on his heels to walk off. Leif glanced at Aulon and his men for a moment before moving to step in line directly behind his King, the disciplined members of The Shield falling in line beside him as they walked.

There was no trap awaiting Aulon, though as they walked along one of the Shield broke off to head deeper into the Castle's west wing -- no doubt delivering a message of some sort. When they arrived, the throne room sat empty save for a single beam of moonlight that had found its way in through a high, open window above the door. Erik calmly strode to the center of the room, the crown atop his head catching the shaft of light so as to give off a soft, divine glow. Commander Leif moved to stand at his left side, his regiment moving to stand by the walls in a rough circle around the King and the Noble.
Then Erik was silent, watching Aulon and waiting for him to speak.

The West Wing of Sheepstead's Palace, That Same Night...

Minister Kain's door shook, so hard was the knocking of whomever was standing on the other side. When Minister Kain answered, if he answered, a young soldier stood before him, back straight and stance disciplined with sword at his waist and shield on his back.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: August 25, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »

Kain was shirtless when he opened the door a crack. Large vertical scars ran across somewhat muscular but still skinny chest. His eyes were rimmed with red from reading to many reports and rumors. His black hair fell limply across his face, wet with sweat but rapidly drying.
" What in the seven hells of Samhain do you want?" Kain barked, staring at the boy with a scowl.
A faint whisper can be heard from behind the door.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:36:07 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 188