Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185132 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Winter 314)
« Reply #2325 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:21 pm »

"Oh! Well, that certainly IS interesting. We may have more in common than I realised. You see, the king was the one who called me a 'diplomat', but my talents lie in more, shall we say, shady areas of service. We will be talking quite a bit I think in the future. And such a ministry is CRUCIAL to the good of the kingdom! I should know after all.

Look at it this way, without you, the enemy would know where our armies march, spies would have free reign, traitors would go unpunished and the kingdom would surely fall apart. You are a very important man, and to be appointed into such a position by the king himself, it shows that he sees potential in you. A good thing, wouldn't you say?"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 17, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »

((I'm assuming Aulon is with me in the castle, and that Taric would have some form of banner identifying him. ))

Trubaldsome sat in his quarters, the same room which had once belonged to his dead father, then both of his older brothers. He had avoided the throne room thus far, troubled by the knowledge that both of the previous Kings- Well, in the last case a very short-lived King- had died in the same room.
So instead, he sat in his opulent quarters in a large, padded armchair, sipping at the wine he'd had Waery drag up from the cellars. Seated with him was, of course, Waery, but also Aulon yl Marchis and his large bodyguard, Asate, along with a few terrified looking traders and courtiers, and a newly-arrived merchant named Hans, whom no-one had deemed particularly threatening.
At any other time the huge, grim Asate usually made Trubaldsome nervous, but in such times, with Taric's army marching for his doorstep and himself being so terrified in the first place, he was glad for any allies he could muster.

"Now," He said at length, his voice a croak. He grimaced and cleared his throat before continuing, masking his fear. "Those filthy dogs out there may seem numerous, but believe me, this castle has withstood many uppity peasants and their barbarous armies over the years; the only reason that bastard Terenos managed to get in, was by slithering in through the open door under a banner of 'peace'."
Trubaldsome allowed himself a wry smirk, pausing for a moment and hearing the clatter of footsteps as his and yl Marchis' men got into position out on the walls. "No, I don't think we shall make that mistake, shall we?"
He sat foward, serious once more as he spoke to Aulon. "We can turn the citizens against them. They have had nothing but grief from Elbreth, they have had their King murdered, their homes robbed and their daughters raped. They have nothing but hatred for foul invaders such as Sir Taric, the..." He forced a bitter laugh, "'Just'."
Then he got to his feet, downing the rest of his wine in agitation before pacing over to a small, barred window in the room, drawing aside the fine curtain for a peek at the enemy army.

Then he turned, and strode for the hallway, Waery following closely. "Now, we will show these rat-raping Elbrethians they are not welcome here, shall we not?" As he reached a large, stout oaken door leading to the wall, reinforced with iron bands, he paused and fished in a pocket, 'Hmm'ing thoughtfully to himself.

He was dressed in the finest clothes he could find in the castle, which were quite find indeed: A long, thick velvet woolen gown which rather smothered his thin form, decorated with soft, warm wolf fur just bursting from the lining, a purple mantle of silk, a mark of royalty, and about half-a-dozen assorted jeweled necklaces around his neck.
But, after quick pinch of snuff, he set his gilded snuffbox aside on the floor, and began, with some difficulty, to struggle out of all these layers. "Ah... M'Lord?" Said Waery, sharing a puzzled glance with the others.
"Give me a hand here, damnit, Waery!" The young prince grunted, then eventually got free of the over-large robe with Waery's assistance. He carefully folded it, and laid it aside along with the jewellery and mantle, then began, with some reluctance, plucking his precious rings from his fingers and dropping them on the pile, also.
Finally, he was clad only in his comparatively simple jerkin and leggings of light brown striped with pale blue, green felt boots (a new pair) and, of course, his favourite hat, green with the blue hatbrim stuffed with feathers.

He turned to his confused audience with a sly smile after picking up his snuffbox. "You see, we are winning the peasants over, here. We want them to fight on our side. Who would they rather fight for, do you think, a rich, bejewelled Prince they have not seen in years, who has always been aloof and distant from their turnip-grubbing little lives, or a fellow citizen, a person just like they, hard done by and victimized by the nation of Elbreth?"
He paused a moment to let this sink in, then turned and marched over to the door, shoving it open and heading out onto the wall, the battlements lined with his own archers and Aulon's pikemen, who all turned to watch him expectantly.

Once back inside, out of sight of the soldiers and peasants he was attempting to inspire, he very nearly collapsed, leaning heavily against a wall, his breathing heavy and uneven as he scrabbled for his snuffbox. As he got it out, he turned away from the others and took a deep pinch, and another, then sneezed a few times and shook his head vigorously before turning back to the group following him, a grin spread across his features now. "See, now the peasants shall rise up! The brave sons and daughters of Miring shall fight by their King's side, driving these dammned Elbrethians back whence they came!" He wiped his sweaty palms on his jerkin, then headed further inside, apparently forgetting the pile of heavy clothes.

Go out onto the walls, dressed in fairly simple clothes, and make a big speech (shouting so as to be heard by those in the city) to inspire both my soldiers and the peasants, hopefully inciting the latter to arm themselves and join in the fight against Taric's forces.
Then go up onto a higher part of the walls (perhaps the walls of the inner keep, if I have an inner keep...) and command the battle from there. Military orders: Very simple, really, with the drawbridge raised Taric's only way in is the walls, and he has no archers, so simply have my longbowmen pepper anyone making their way up the walls full of arrows, with Aulon's pikemen ready to deal with any who get close. Oh, and have the kitchen staff dump boiling water and food scraps over their heads. :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:19:05 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: August 17, 2011, 11:24:51 pm »

"That all sounds very shiny...but I really don't do anything at all. I have no purpose... besides to make it look like...I'm hiring the right people...for tasks and such. The real work is carried out by the...palace guard and their teams.
I'm a decoy pretty much..."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 17, 2011, 11:35:29 pm »

"Ahhh, but who TELLS the palace guard who to look for? Who points the finger at traitors and enemy spies? You do. You find these people, and in doing so, provide a great service to the kingdom. You, in person, may not do the glorious gruntwork, chasing traitors down on foot and all that, but instead you direct forces and men to specific goals. As I see it, why do all the backbreaking work yourself, when you have people who are both better at doing such work do it FOR you instead? It's a great responsibility, and no king would lightly give such a responsibility, the very safety of the kingdom itself, to just anyone. I admit, it's not a pretty or appreciated job, but it is a vital one nonetheless. From the mouth of an experienced 'diplomat', I can tell you one of the primary goals of an enemy kingdom is to cripple their internal security."

Mask turns to Kain, a hand disappearing inside his hood, as if he is stroking his chin.

"Tell me, if it is such a lowly position, why not just appoint a peasant? Or some other lowly person? Why would he appoint one of his trusted lords instead?"

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:52 pm »

Sir Joseph once he is far out of town travels many miles away On a horse he stole from a peasant. He soon reaches the border or silver branches then turns north. He stops at a tavern and enters. He talks to the inn keeper.He also made his outfit look less nice and put his surcoat away. Now it looks like he is a regular soldier.

He say, Innkeeper would you have an open room?
The innkeeper replies that he does. Sir Joseph buys it using the smallest coins he can to compensate.
Sir Joseph sits down at a nearby table with a pint. He looks over and sees a man eyeing him. He walks over and the man speaks.
"dunt get many travelers in these parts"
"I'm coming to see my aunt In silver branch."
"Oh why the armor?"
"I'm on leave from Elbreths military."
"Ah my names Saxon yours?"
"Max, Max Yeskly."
"nice to make your acquaintance."
The conversation goes on for 2 hours before Sir Joseph goes to sleep after retiring to his room."

(Max Yeskly is his cover name)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:49:03 pm by Elfeater »
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 17, 2011, 11:41:47 pm »

"Aheh...The King gave the position to me becuase of all his Lords and Ladies...I'm the darkest and most macabre, I scare the grain out of the peasents...its The Ki-." Kain coughs into his hand quickly. "Of course. You're completly right...I do all of that stuff..."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 18, 2011, 12:12:39 am »

"As I see it, he chose you because you were the best for the job. He trusts you to be able to do it well, and that, when coming from someone like the king himself, is a sign of respect. You should be honored that he chose you, and you alone, for handling such a task.

And you know who else has a thankless job? I do. I provide that all important resource, information, at great risk to myself. And do you think I get thanked for it? Have you ever heard of heroic tales of someone like me? I think not. I just get a quiet thanks and some money and that's it! I have to wear this thing to keep safe!

We both have thankless jobs, forced to be behind the spotlight behind men like generals or kings, but who makes sure that their captains don't sell them out? Or that they have knowledge of the enemy positions? We do. We are the unsung heroes of this kingdom, and our work makes a kingdom rise or fall.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:27 am »

This was either accidentally missed or deliberately because the king is not in court, but I will repost so it does not get buried.

Surprised at the ease at which he got to the king, Ichor was even more convinced that he would be required in the kings-

ARGH. Those damn headaches. I really should get them seen to.

Picking himself up from the dirt and brushing himself down, Ichor strode through the high, heavy oaken doors. Confronted by a frankly, rather bored looking king, he knelt before the throne.

"Sire, I am sure your day has been long and tiring, yet I have an interesting proposal to make."
When the king still looked blank, Ichor took the next step.
"Well sire, I am Ichor Echen. I believe I have skills that would interest a man of power, such as you. However, I cannot speak so freely in the presence of so many.
With the utmost respect, could you and I speak privately sire? That way we will both benefit from my...
Proposal."
Raise a questioning eyebrow at the king, using my natural charm to persuade him that this would be a fabulous idea.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 18, 2011, 01:32:04 am »

Nahk state: Reading maps
The Nahk is the leader of my clan aka me

Send out a regiment armed with swords and shortbows to capture the man with the bird and dog some one should yell out to "stop and come peacefully we don't want to kill you"
when he sees the nahk ask him why he is here.
The Raider in that stays prison attempts to commit suicide to prevent being a traitor
raider with no hands attempts to return + how would he eat?

Spoiler: Ztah (Zimtar raiders) (click to show/hide)
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 18, 2011, 03:30:51 am »

Ludwig wakes up, a bit dissapointed that he hasn't received word for the king.  However, he is also glad as he has business to attend to.

Go around town and ask the alchemical, scholar, exploration guilds about where one might find such people as Drua or Mahtan.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:40:28 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2335 on: August 18, 2011, 03:37:25 am »

((I didn't tell anyone where I was going, not to mention I don't know you so you shouldn't even remotely who I am, third you can't "save" me in time if I was in danger, since you don't even know what's going on in Suul plus it's days, if not weeks away.)) 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:39:31 am by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 18, 2011, 04:44:35 am »

Hans couldn't be happier. The opportunity to speak to Trubaldsome heir and lay out a little plan to him couldn't wait. He maybe was a noble, but form what Hans knew, saw and heard, he wasn't the most rational one. A perfect person in a perfect position. Besides, the time grew short, and if the little chat with castle's main resident didn't work out, he would have to leave this doomed enterprise.

Hans apporached Trubaldsome inside of the castle's numerous coridors.

"My Lord, may I speak to you for a moment?" Putting on his most convincing smile, Hans tried to make an impression of an honest, good trader.
" My name is Hans van der Vries and I represent the Storm Coast merchants. I am their agent in here, if I may say that. Most sincere apologies for interrupting you. If you would like to listen me out, I may have a proposition that will benefit the good people of this city and will help your position.
All it involves .... I'm sorry my lord, may we speak in private in you chambers? Walls have ears, and this is something that I would hate to explain to King Erik's hounds that are currently waiting for you outside Miring."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:02:46 am by Ardas »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:51 am »

Trubaldsome was sitting rather pensively on a small balcony far above the main castle walls, a perfumed handkerchief pressed to his nose as he looked down over the distant city- where the light glinted off the small forms of soldiers- frowning deeply.
He was dressed in his usual finery once more, although this time simply in his green velvet great coat.
After a moment, he realised someone was speaking to him and looked up at Hans, momentarily startled.
"What, who are you?" He snapped, then calmed down somewhat, leaning back in his chair and listening.
"Oh, yes, the merchant. Hrm, the Storm Coast, you say? I am supposing you know of my friend, Aulon yl Marchis then, yes?" He waved a hand in the general direction of the latter, then rose to his feet with a sigh.
"If you insist, I suppose I can grant your request. Though naturally," He nodded towards Waery, standing attentively to one side, "My man Waery will be present for this meeting."
He gestured contemptuously towards the invading army down below. "I cannot afford to be trusting, at such times. They are everywhere, you know. Watching, always..." He shook his head to dispel his momentary panic, then nodded and lead the way to his quarters, Waery following closely behind.

Once he was settled behind his desk- a fine thing of dark hardwood, simple yet elegant- with Hans standing across from him, the young King spoke again, looking faintly irritated. "Yes, right, now what exactly did you want? I am rather busy, as I am sure you know."
He added, wryly, "These days people are fairly... Breaking down the doors to see me."
He raised his brows, waiting for Hans' response.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 18, 2011, 06:53:20 am »

Hans begun carefully explaining his plan to the young noble.

"My lord, I believe that i might have the solution to majority of your problems. the key thing is that you have to submit yourself to King Erik. Believe me my lord, as implausible and ridicoulus that sounds, this is the only way you will prevail. While you might believe that this is an insult to you and your family, the Elbrethian occupation is in your favour. With you as a regent and Erik's vassal, you will be able to build up your forces in secret, enjoying his protection and free access to his kingdom.

This is where I come in. Provided that you manage to secure your position, I am going to obtain a royal charter for creation of a trading company with headquarters in Miring. While to you it may seem like a trivial thing and beneath a noble person of your stature, do not be deceived my lord. The financial economies of scale provided by such an organisation mean plenty of money with little to no need for any land. If I were to obtain a monopoly on trade within the kingdom, Elbreth could be paralysed with one single stroke if I desired so, as majority of supplies and resources would have to go through me.

The best part comes in now. With the trading company on your side, you would posess an overwhelming advantage on resources and supplies, and you could hire enough Storm Coast mercenaries to defeat Elbreth in field or secure your independence. Mind you my lord, all transactions and overall control of the ground operations would be mine, but provided that you invest in the trading company, you would get a sufficent share of your own and Miring could become a hub of all trade and wealth within a radius of a several hundred miles."

Hoping that he was clear enough, Hans remaind calm and awaited reply.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 18, 2011, 06:55:28 am »

In addition to my previous actions:

Try to analyze the corpse for cause of death, feel for tooth marks or wounds from weapons, then follow any tracks leading away from the scene and pursue the attacker, Buster should be helpful here and also keep a bolt notched into your crossbow which can be released immediately.

I'd also like to have a conditional action (the ztah running down the valley to capture me):

Whilst analyzing the corpse shouts can be heard faintly, multiple men, Buster barks at them and Percy again flies to them squawking above their position, at least half a mile away. Coming down the steep sides of the ravine Meng gives himself ten minutes.

Make a mental note of the corpses cause of death, then make a run for it across the river which should stall them for a bit, if they're in pursuit, then if they start to follow keep moving and try to hide among the rocks and outcroppings until they go away, once they've gone follow them back sticking to the sides of the rock face and try to remain unseen.

EDIT: And whilst running try to hide bolts in various places on his person, inner layers of clothing, they might not see one fitted in his crossbow and wherever else would work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:11:27 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 188